The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

msd coil and wires

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slicknick101

Probationary Member
Feb 20, 2008
Houston, Texas
hey guys i just ordered a msd coil pack and msd 8.5mm wires for my 420a stock motor ... and i was wondering if it would do any damage to my engine ... sorry if this is a noob question

like will the coil give to much spark... i dont want my engine to blow

i should have looked beforehand but i was already at autozone and my car was messing up

hey guys i just ordered a msd coil pack and msd 8.5mm wires for my 420a stock motor ... and i was wondering if it would do any damage to my engine ... sorry if this is a noob question

like will the coil give to much spark... i dont want my engine to blow

i should have looked beforehand but i was already at autozone and my car was messing up

"Too much spark" isn't a valid concern. The only problem with MSD ignition coils is their quality; they're well known for failing long before any OE coil.

nahh nothing should go wrong with your engin the msd coil pack is there to give your engin enhanced engine power - smoother starts and idles, more efficient combustion, and intense throttle precision which means this should not harm your motter at all if i was you i wouldent worry just install and enjoy....

nahh nothing should go wrong with your engin the msd coil pack is there to give your engin enhanced engine power - smoother starts and idles, more efficient combustion, and intense throttle precision which means this should not harm your motter at all if i was you i wouldent worry just install and enjoy....

Absolutely everything you said is marketing BS with no foundation in truth. The MSD ignition coil does not output anymore energy (kJ) than the stock coil.

ok buddy think what you want bro bs or no bs i have the msd coil pack and it works for me...its no were near a stock coil

No, it's not going to harm anything... it's just a stock replacement with slightly lower quality.

Please try to use better grammar while posting in the technical forums. It's difficult to read sentences with no punctuation.

Always check the gap, even on "pre-gapped" spark plugs. You'll find they will usually vary greatly out of the box.

This thread makes me want to puke, and yes I have an MSD coil and wires only because I pulled it off a neon for free. There was absolutely no difference between the msd setup and my stock setup.

MSD has been around for years and is high quality, brand name. I had a friend that was having troubles with his car. The plugs would foul and not start the car so we threw a MDS coil pack on there and no worries runs great.

MSD has been around for years and is high quality, brand name. I had a friend that was having troubles with his car. The plugs would foul and not start the car so we threw a MDS coil pack on there and no worries runs great.

That probably has nothing to do with the fact that the new coil pack was an MSD coil pack, but more likely the fact that it was just new, and the other one was bad to begin with.

What's an engin? What's a motter? What's a wouldent? What is intense throttle precision? The air and fuel mixture either ignites or it doesn't. People replace worn stock coils with an MSD after also doing other mods and their car goes from some flying turd to something that runs how it should with those mods and they claim it was all in the last part they swapped. Now quality can affect how the dwell will operate and affect timing by small amounts.

no we tryed 3 different stock ones then the msd. i read the specs for the msd coil. dose anybody have the specs for the stock coil?

Mitsubishi 4 Tower Coil - 8229

all three stock ones were probably junk too. the msd and obx coils are half the price of the Duralast OEM coil

:) my bad. i had to leave so i typed everything and just sent and now im back.

1 more question: which spark plugs would you suggest and how much to gap them?

Im runnin Bosch Platinum +4 they come pregapped with a gap protector on each one the gap is factory set and non-ajustable, also have MSD 8.5mm superconducter wires and a stock ignition coil, 210,968 miles runs like a champ and idles at aprx. 500 - 700 rpm at running temp

Stock, OBX and MSD are the same???

MSD and OBX are pretty much the same, the stock one probably lasts longer considering it costs twice as much and has a 2 year warranty my MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor wires are definately better than the stock wires though, they have the lowest resistance per foot (40 - 50 ohms per foot vs stock wires 1250+ ) and higher Electro Magnetic Interference (EMI) supression than stock wires.

Last edited:
OEM is best with most parts because they are original designs and not cheaply back-engineered.

Stay away from obx, 99% of there parts are crap, they have very little quality control. I got an msd coil pack, ran amazing for about a year then died, imo a new part that only lasts a year is crap, I've been running a Howell Screaming Demon coil since then.

@420arunner, please get rid of those platinum plugs, your car will run much better with coppers. The platinum's are known to cause problems with our engines because they are a colder heat range.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back