The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Modified synchro slider and blocker

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KFred 513

Proven Member
Oct 11, 2012
SUllivan, New_York
So I'm curious if anyone has tried to remove teeth off of our synchro rings and slider to allow for faster engagement. Having a late 2g transmission, I know that my 3-4 slider is one of, if not THE weakest point. That being said, removing 1/2 of the contact area, and stressing the remaining teeth even more may not be the best idea.

I'm just curious if this has been tried before. Maybe experimenting with the 1-2 synchro would be better since its less prone to failure but I'm not sure how that would go with the double synchro second.

Count the number of teeth on the synchro, the gear dog engagement teeth and the slider. You will find out that it doesn't work out. If you want faster shifts, send your gears out for a faceplate mod.

I have tried this. I removed every other tooth. there is an odd number of teeth so there was one spot left with two teeth in a row. this mod by design is does not help the trans shift faster. what it does do is give a slightly better feel during "some" shifts. kinda difficult to describe what is happening without pictures of the parts. but simply put when you shift the syncro stops the the rotating gear. if the gear stops completely the slider has to slide the syncro forward on the gear a tiny bit. when this happens all the syncro teeth are sliding against the slider teeth adding friction. if you reduce the number of teeth the shift will be smoother. the thing is 90% of shifts the gear is not stopped all the way. in which case there is no slider to syncro contact friction that can be felt during the shift.

for sure though this has nill effect on how fast the trans can shift. higher friction at the syncro or a lighter clutch disc are the best and most common ways of improving shift speed.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back