The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Mobil 1 Gear Oil = Bad?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoBbOrAzE

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 29, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Hi, i just bought 3 quarts of Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lubricant 75W - 90.

I decided eh i better do a quick search before i swap the fluid. So after searching around i am all mixed up in what i should do. The bottle says it is used where GL-5 is reccomended. I asked the guy at Pep Boys and he told me that oh its above GL-4 so it will be fine if not better and Mobil 1 is good quality + it was 4$ more each than the sold out synchromesh. I have read that people say that the GL-5 will eat up the synchros and that Mobil 1 is not good. I was going to buy the pennzoil synchromesh but they were all out of it. Is it not good to use, is it worth it to go return it and buy the synchromesh? Please anyone help before i put this in my car.

Just stating what previous post sead...
SyncroMesh is really good..

Then I used Mobil 1 - grinding was the result.
Mobil is good for german trannies not for our cars.

Dont use Mobil 1, its not good for the brass synchros. I believe its a GL-5 rated fluid and you wanna stick w/ a GL-4. Synchromesh in mine and i love it.

Go to autozone and get syncromesh. If you cant find it, take the mobile 1 back and go to your local chevrolet dealership and get gm syncromesh. Same as and made by penzoil. I think $10.99 a qt, but what did you pay for the mobile1?

I paid $8.00 a quart for the Mobil1. and yes autozone did have it they just said theyd be sold out for a about a week. Im definitly going to return the Mobil1. What was i thinking. EVERYONE seems to love the synchromesh.

Best thing I did to my tranny. Like I said, if you cant wait, go to the gm dealership and get the gm syncromesh. Its the same.

edit- the actual name is gm syncroshift

BoBbOrAzE said:
I paid $8.00 a quart for the Mobil1. and yes autozone did have it they just said theyd be sold out for a about a week. Im definitly going to return the Mobil1. What was i thinking. EVERYONE seems to love the synchromesh.

$4.99 qt. @ autozone for pennzoil synchromesh.

Valvoline has a Non-Synthetic Gear Oil with Gl-4 & 5 Spec right on the label :thumb:
- I don't think the Syncromesh is actually GL-4 Spec :thumbdown (that oughta wind the D-Mans ass up!)

BUCK said:
- I don't think the Syncromesh is actually GL-4 Spec :thumbdown (that oughta wind the D-Mans ass up!)
"Pennzoil-Quaker State Synchromesh is a unique transmission and transaxle fluid that is not API "GL" rated. It has an approximate gear oil grade of about SAE 80W and can be used when temperatures range from -40ºF (-40ºC) to 300ºF (150ºC). According to Pennzoil's product description it is "formulated with high quality paraffinic base stocks, a fluidity modifier, multifunctional performance additives, corrosion inhibitors, a foam suppressor and a shear stable viscosity index improver additive. It provides excellent oxidation stability, low temperature performance, excellent synchronizer performance and compatibility with yellow metals, such as bronze, brass and copper components found in manual transaxles and transmissions." This description makes Synchromesh suitable for use in some transaxles or transmissions where GL-4 gear oils are specified."

http://www.stealth316.com/2-pennzoil-synchromesh.htm

So, nyah. :p

Savage Talon said:
Has anyone tried Redline Shockproof gear oil? Would you recommend it? Comments?

Well most people here use shockproof in the Tansfer case and rear diff.

It's pretty thick for tranny. I'd be interested in hearing more feedback from others.

I've got some fresh MT90 in mine, it's pretty good. A lot better then what was in it before.

I actually prefer the thicker stuff, but not too thick, needs to be able to flow well.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back