The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Missing dowel pin on flywheel?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodsy0

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 1, 2004
Lexington, Massachusetts
I got my transmission bellhousing off last night for the clutch/flywheel change, and after removing the old clutch and flywheel I noticed that there was no dowel pin in that small hole near the flywheel bolt holes...I'm guessing that there should be one there? I'm going to call Mitsu up and order a new dowel pin, but I'm wondering why it wasn't there in the first place...and what to watch out for now that I've noticed that.
Thanks,
Scott

There are seven bolt holes on the flywheel. There's one smaller hole in between two of the bolt holes that should, if I am correct, house a dowel...Any problem with putting everything back together without it in?
Scott

Woodsy0 said:
There are seven bolt holes on the flywheel. There's one smaller hole in between two of the bolt holes that should, if I am correct, house a dowel...Any problem with putting everything back together without it in?
Scott
I know on the six bolt the Dowel pin is the difference between a turbo and non turbo crank. Maybe the same with the 7 bolt?
Mike

So you're saying that on the 6 bolt, there is a dowel pin on the turbo model, and there isn't one on the n/a?

I figure it would be fine to bolt the flywheel up without the help of a dowel pin, just making sure I'm not doing something horribly wrong by doing so.

i recently did the second clutch job on mine and there was never a dowel pin in the crank for the flywheel. i just lined up all the holes and bolted it up. never had a problem w/95k miles.

jim

I really would not recommend putting everything back together until you put a new dowl pin in. Although you (and probably many others) have not had a problem yet, the dowl pin is there to take on the side-loads as the flywheel is spinning. Granted, the 6/7 bolts do this also, but their main design is to hold the flywheel to the crank.

In the end, it's up to you. If the flywheel ends up ripping through the bellhousing, you'll have no one else to blame. (I personally do not like to cut corners when it comes to building/modifying something -- get it done right the first time)

On a side note, it would be wise to use some green loctite on those flywheel bolts . . . and maybe even some red on the pressure plate bolts.

Good luck! :thumb:

Woodsy0 said:
So you're saying that on the 6 bolt, there is a dowel pin on the turbo model, and there isn't one on the n/a?

I figure it would be fine to bolt the flywheel up without the help of a dowel pin, just making sure I'm not doing something horribly wrong by doing so.
On 6-bolt turbo engines, there was a dowel pin in the crank that was used to align the flywheel to the crank. The 6-bolt NA cranks did not have the dowel pin for some reason. I'm not sure if 7-bolts are the same. Did you check to see if the dowel pin is in your crank? Either way, it's not a nessacity; I wouldn't worry about replacing it. :dsm:

Where could I grab a new dowel pin? Wouldn't a regular hardware store have what I need? Does anyone know the measurements for the pin that I'd be looking to grab?

Thanks

Sorry didn't catch the above post until after I replied...The dowel pin wasn't in the crank, I checked. I'll see if I can grab a new one, but if not (this being my only car somewhat hinders the process of parts-getting), the consensus is that it won't negatively affect anything, so I might leave it out...

I understand that a lot of 2Gs don't have the dowel from the factory. Mine didn't. When I swapped to a 6 bolt motor I definitely used a dowel however. If you can get one, use it. Ideally you would have the crank balanced with teh dowel in place however.

tsunari said:
I really would not recommend putting everything back together until you put a new dowl pin in. Although you (and probably many others) have not had a problem yet, the dowl pin is there to take on the side-loads as the flywheel is spinning. Granted, the 6/7 bolts do this also, but their main design is to hold the flywheel to the crank.

In the end, it's up to you. If the flywheel ends up ripping through the bellhousing, you'll have no one else to blame. (I personally do not like to cut corners when it comes to building/modifying something -- get it done right the first time)

On a side note, it would be wise to use some green loctite on those flywheel bolts . . . and maybe even some red on the pressure plate bolts.

Good luck! :thumb:

Did the magic 8 ball tell you this? That dowell pin serves as an installation aid in making it easier to seat/align the flywheel and then thread the bolts. If there's any negative effect, it's having a small increase to the imbalance of the rotating assembly. Being how close it is to the center line, and it's minimal weight, I wouldn't be worried about it (using a stock crank pulley). I believe I paid $6 for that, last time I got one from the dealer. Get an OE one, so you don't have to worry about some hardware store part coming out and finding it's way between the flywheel and pressure plate.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back