The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Misfiring still

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b00zt3d spyd3r

Proven Member
Feb 25, 2016
Lawton, Oklahoma
still okay so I've checked the power transistor, plug wires, coil pack everything is good with no change. In dsmlink I got dtc code for fuel injector circuit malfunction cylinder 1. Tested continuity for injector one it's good. Checked resistance for all 4 injectors and all read 2.4-2.5. They are mdl560p evo pink top low impedance injectors. Not exactly sure what the resistance should be on them. But with them all being almost the same I figure they are good. What else could I be missing? The ecu is brand new from ecmtuning.

Did you try to move the injectors around to see if the problem moves with it or not?
i replaced the fuel rail about a week ago cuz i cracked it in half. i didnt really keep track of which injectors went in which cylinder so not sure if i put the same one back in the same hole. will check tomorrow. but if the injector 1 went into a different cylinder when i replaced rail then it did not follow. had the code before i replaced it.

I would just move it around so you know for sure.

If that fails I would look tpward the injector resistor pack. Could be crapping out.

Also I would use a node light to check the injectors pulse. Most multimeters wont read fast enough to test the pulse with.

As far as the ECU goes new doesnt mean working. Although ECMlink is a pretty reputable company but its not impossible.

I would just move it around so you know for sure.

If that fails I would look tpward the injector resistor pack. Could be crapping out.

Also I would use a node light to check the injectors pulse. Most multimeters wont read fast enough to test the pulse with.

As far as the ECU goes new doesnt mean working. Although ECMlink is a pretty reputable company but its not impossible.
Okay and how would I test the resistor pack? I'll do all this tomorrow

I like to look at the simple things first, especially things that need replaced periodically. We often over think the problem making it more difficult than it is. Something as simple as bad O2 sensor can sound like a misfire. Oxygen to fuel ratio has to be right. Think about it...you get bad gas and it sounds like the engines missing If it's not an 02 sensor, my next thought is possibly a vacuum line leak somewhere.

Did you try to move the injectors around to see if the problem moves with it or not?
I'd start with the air filter, 02 sensor and possible vacuum line leaks. Simple things often over looked by over thinking

Pic attached for testing procedure.

Attachments

• injectorresistortest.jpg
    injectorresistortest.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 55
When you are testing for continuity, make sure you wiggle the harness around really well while measuring resistance. There could be a damaged wire in the harness somewhere that only presents itself when it is kinked a certain way.

If you have good continuity from the ECU to the injector at both pins, I would lean towards a bad ECU if the problem didn't follow the injector.

If you have a spare set of stock injectors to throw in there for testing, that surely wouldn't hurt.

Good luck.

When you are testing for continuity, make sure you wiggle the harness around really well while measuring resistance. There could be a damaged wire in the harness somewhere that only presents itself when it is kinked a certain way.

If you have good continuity from the ECU to the injector at both pins, I would lean towards a bad ECU if the problem didn't follow the injector.

If you have a spare set of stock injectors to throw in there for testing, that surely wouldn't hurt.

Good luck.
I don't have any spare injectors unfortunately. Could I run a wire from that injector ecu pin to that injector connector to be sure there's no breaks in wire and see if it still happens?

If the plug was black then I would bet that injector is stuck open. Maybe the code didn't have time to move to the other cylinder? Most of the time when that code is thrown it is a bad injector anyways. At this point it has to be either the ECU or a bad injector LOL.

If the plug was black then I would bet that injector is stuck open. Maybe the code didn't have time to move to the other cylinder? Most of the time when that code is thrown it is a bad injector anyways. At this point it has to be either the ECU or a bad injector LOL.
I cleared the dtc code, unplugged battery, switched out injectors, hooked battery backup up it idled for about 20 minutes and came back on. Cleared code again, uncooked battery, rewired injector clip with new unbroken wire, started again let idle 20-25 minutes again and code cane back same again.

Attachments

• IMG_2076.PNG
    IMG_2076.PNG
    80.2 KB · Views: 56
Sounds like a spark problem to me.

OHM Out the primary and Secondary coils in your coil packs. If they check out, ohm out your plug wires and comment back with your values and I will compare to my new (less than 3k miles) NGK wires.

Also try gapping your plugs .022-.028. I was having tons of spark problems at .028 and I gapped them down to .024 and it all went away so I replaced my coils since it was obvious they were getting weak depsite being inside nominal impedance values.

Sounds like a spark problem to me.

OHM Out the primary and Secondary coils in your coil packs. If they check out, ohm out your plug wires and comment back with your values and I will compare to my new (less than 3k miles) NGK wires.

Also try gapping your plugs .022-.028. I was having tons of spark problems at .028 and I gapped them down to .024 and it all went away so I replaced my coils since it was obvious they were getting weak depsite being inside nominal impedance values.
I've went over everything spark related changed coil, power transistor, gapped plugs at.26. I will check ohms again but should be good. The problem I'm having is the injector circuit

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back