The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G misfires when warm

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakeb2011

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 24, 2012
Greenville, Michigan
Ok so my 97 awd talon wont run well when its warm. The warmer it gets it, the worse it idles. This started after a rallycross on a rainy day. It first would randomly run like shit when driving like I blew a silicone coupling and then come back. Gauges dropped a few times during those times. Worked well for a month after then out of nowhere cruising and it all went out. Wouldn't run at all until cooled. Cold start runs good for a minute, second minute runs like shit popping and misfiring and by the 3rd it stalls. Doesn't like running after that.

Things I've checked
-nearly all of the harness wiring
-New alternator
-2000 miles on NGK plugs and wires
-Moved plugs around to see if misfires were consistent (they weren't)
-Moved injectors around to see if misfires were consistent (they weren't)
-No codes other than P0105 that the car has had since I bought it. Its seems unrelated because \/
-Unpluged every sensor the car can run without including MAP, O2, fuel pressure sensor, TPS. Didn't change
-New MAF
-I cleaned any little bit of corrosion I could find electrical.
-Checked grounds
-Checked ECU internals for fried solders or anything odd. Nothing wrong with it.

I'm just looking for ideas of stuff to check.

FIAV? Also i assume you've checked the coolant temp sensor. The FPR solenoid? I know when i tried to delete mine it was the opposite and the car just would not idle until it had warmed up a tad.

The FIAV could possibly be faulty but im not too keen on exactly how it functions. Only a spring the contracts/expands with coolant temp rising/falling to open a valve.

Let me clarify it's not so much an idle issue as an extreme rich condition that continues to get worse as the temps increase no matter the rpm range. I believe it is a sensor but not sure on which that can have that much control over injector pulsations.

Doesn't fit characteristics of IAC or FIAV failure IMO but I will take a look. No AC btw.

Had a hunch it was ignition related so I changed out the ignition module and it seemed to work great for a solid 5 minutes. I shut the car off and got it ready for a test drive. When I started it back up same thing happened with misfirng except my rpms aren't reading properly like what had happened the first few times it acted up. That only happens because of an ignition module so why is my new one doing this?

I'm getting desperate for answers or else I might call defeat.

Don't see where you checked the coil packs. Like you, at this point I'm just guessing on what the problem is.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back