The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

MisFire vs Backfire. What is the difference?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TURBOSPYDER

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 21, 2002
Daly City, BAY_AREA
Im not sure if they are the same thing. I datalog my car , and showed trouble codes of a Cylinder 1 misfire. I changed the plugs and its still happening but only when Im running the car normal. Not at WOT. Plus, does anyone know what trouble code : P0300????? any info can help . Thanks

misfire..... it just doesn't feel right..

at idle, you'll have a sputter, stutter, spit, or burp
and at speed, it'll jsut give a jitter, or WAY up there, it'll feel like the Car stalls For a split-second.

a back-fire.... you'll *KNOW* it'll be like *BLAT* POP, BANG, or even explode, if you're lucky...

backfire is when you have Fuel get past The exhaust valves, into the exhaust, and It hits somethign *HOT* and ignites... could be a Really hot Cat, muffler, or even a toasty-warm turbo/o2 housing.

So what does a misfire mean? anything I can do to prevent it? What causes misfire?

to Corect misfire?

re-gap you plugs.... check your plug wires...
make sure you have no intake leaks..

tune your Car.. do you have a datalogger?

check your sensors (front O2, TPS, ISC..)

to Corect misfire?

re-gap you plugs.... check your plug wires...
make sure you have no intake leaks..

tune your Car.. do you have a datalogger?

check your sensors (front O2, TPS, ISC..)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back