The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

misfire...again

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenbegs97

Probationary Member
Apr 21, 2015
franklin, New_Jersey
hey guys.. newbie here... need some help!!

i have a 97 eclipse gs automatic about 180k miles on it... daily driver. only mod i've done is an aem short ram intake and currently a lovely leaky exhaust but thats another issue...

problem: last summer she kept misfiring (i don't remember which cylinders) replaced all spark plugs, coils, and coil pack and it was fine. had a rough winter here in jersey! one morning was warming up the car for a few minutes when it suddenly died. gas gauge appeared fine. replaced the cam shaft angle sensor. still just started and bogged. turns out it needed gas. felt like an idiot. it was a VERY cold night/morning not sure if that could have any affect.

anyway... flash forward to today... came to a red light when she started idling hard. almost stalled. luckily the light turned green but upon giving it gas it had a rough go. check engine light flashed twice then stayed on. made it to advance auto with no other problems(about 20 miles). had them check the code. another misfire... 2 & 4. any ideas what the problem is or what I should do next? any input is appreciated!!!

thank you!!

Check your plugs and make sure the valve cover spark plug seals arnt leaking oil onto plugs. Check wires for damage make sure they are all on right, use some dielectric grease. And about the gas and cold if it was really low it could have froze on you. Some gas with a can of HEAT will help you next if it happens again.

will check for oil on the plugs! otherwise they're all on there good. no damage. barely even show wear. thanks for the gas input too!! will keep you posted!

Check your injectors. If they never have been changed they got some mileage on them and may not be working like they should.

check the ignitor plug!! first trace all the wires from the plug back to the ecu and make sure none are damaged. then closely inspect the wires inside the plug. they have a tendency of breaking or loosening. jiggle each wire going into the plug and check to see if any have any abnormal play. you could have a broken wire in the plug. i can email you wiring diagrams of the whole ignition system if youre interested. shoot me an email [email protected]

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back