The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

4g63 swap into 3rd and 4th Gen Mirage, Colt, Summit CSM's (merged)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v8 hunter

20+ Year Contributor
Mar 4, 2003
rockaway, New_Jersey
What years Mirage's that you can swap the 4g63 into?
I got all the goodies, just need a Mirage (shell) and/or does anyone know who has one in the tri-state area (NJ,NY,PA)

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by a moderator:
93-96 Mirages, Colts or Summits whatever all you need is 1g top engine mount and some fabrication (meaning wiring harnesses and stuff) and the tranny and you got your self a light car with 4g63 power and no traction :) have fun!!!! But for real get some slicks or LSD and you will like it .. I have a complete Tutorial on how to do it let me look on my computer its saved somewhere ill post it back up here :thumb:

Due To Popular Request... (warning LONG)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is the info that I have compiled thus far concerning the swap of a 4G63, 2.0L Turbo motor from a Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T, GSX, Eagle Talon TSI FWD or AWD, and/or Plymouth Laser RS Turbo into a 4th Generation, 1993-1996, Mitsubishi Mirage, Eagle Summit, Dodge Colt. Thanks to Evil93Evo, aka Tom, for the majority of this info. It was collected from several different posts that he made, so it is just pieced together. This info is probably similar to what blytz has posted on www.miragetuner.com/
With no further adieu, here is the file:

You need to modify the timing belt mount by cutting and moving the rubber section of a 89 turbo mount, this is easiest if you use a combination of a talon mount and the mirage turbo mount. You may need to slot the holes on the other transmission mounts slightly if your car has been in an accident before.

You will need to use the ECU and wiring harness from the same year engine you have ready to install. Get a good wiring diagram for both cars before you begin. If the car has a factory tachometer it will not read correctly.

You will need to use a flywheel from a 89-94 2.0L non turbo DSM FWD. Make sure it has the correct number of bolt holes for your engine (ie 6 bolt or 7 bolt). Buy the ACT clutch kit, anything else will not hold up as they all use stock type pressure plates. ACT part #MB3-XTR6 holds 414ft lbs of torque. You will be able to use the factory transmission with the 4G63 as long as you aren't doing serious drag racing with slicks even the 1.5L transmission will work, but if you can, use the 1.8L transmission and axles.

You must use the starter and the plate that mounts behind the flywheel from the original Mirage engine, it will bolt right onto the 4G63.

The 4g63 may bring the need to bend one of the under-hood braces slightly to gain clearance for the timing belt cover; mine did only after a replacement hood, not a big deal! As far as time line goes if you have all the parts together it should take about 8 hrs total to do the swap, You will need to build all the intercooler piping and exhaust piping yourself or pay someone to do it for you. So allow some time for that.

You will need to use a upgraded fuel pump for a Second Gen Eclipse, then slightly dent down the gas tank under the pump for added clearance, about 1.5hrs work.

I do all my own work, so it cost me about 3000 dollars total for everything, but I did extra stuff most people don't need. I had a modified ECU, AFC, big front mount intercooler, 16g, full 3" exhaust, 550cc injectors. So if you are just using a stock engine you can save big bucks.

I was just wondering why you would be interested in using a 2g ECU and wiring with the swap? There are a lot of drawbacks to the 2G system if you are installing it in a 93-96 car, first off the fact that they are OBD2 and require all the sensors to go with it, some not available for on a 1g type engine, second the cost of a 95+ ECU is higher and you lose the cheap ECU modifications and data-logging available for the 1g ECU. So only use a 2g ECU if you want to use a 2g motor, but then you might as well just keep the 1.5 at least they don't have crank walk (hehe, I like that part-Chris).

I have done the swap and the wiring is no harder than installing a stereo system if you have the wiring diagrams. Basic soldering skills are needed, and how to use a voltmeter. Basically you need a + power constant on for memory, + power on with ignition, chassis ground, clutch safety switch, vehicle speed sensor, check engine light, fuel pump wire, coolant temp sensor for gauge, oil pressure wire for light or gauge (not part of engine harness). All the other wiring for the engine is part of the engine harness. Get out your Voltmeter and start checking continuity and for power wires from the ECU harness then label everything showing where it goes, it's a lot easier to fix problems now instead of when you are trying to start it for the first time.

You will need to use a Mirage transmission because the 1g Eclipse FWD does not mount the engine like the Mirage; the Mirage mounts like a 2g Eclipse with 3 transmission mounts and one motor mount. Most used 2g FWD turbo transmissions are about 1700-1900 bucks, but they may be able to be modified to mount in the Mirage. The non-turbo transmission for an Eclipse is an F5M22 just like the 1.8L Mirage but without the extra mounts.

My car ran 11.81 at 121.9 mph last year with a stock long block and a small 16g. I used a 1.8 liter transmission I bought from a junkyard. My Colt had a cable clutch from the factory, so I just switched it to hydraulic style by changing to a 1.8L manual pedal cluster, had to drill a couple holes in the firewall to mount the master cylinder but it was no big deal at all. I paid about 50 bucks for the pedal cluster, master cylinder and slave, and the lines to run to the transmission.

So you really don't need to worry about finding a 1.8L car if you are willing to switch it over. I have to agree with Bill (AWD92GSX) on the ECU differences, I would much rather use a 1g ECU and wiring with a 2g MAS. That should be good up to around 500 hp. But if you are trying to use a 2g motor use the 2g ECU.

Here is some of the info you were looking for, the transmission that I originally used was a F5M21 (1.5L Tranny) and I just recently changed to a F5M22 (1.8L Tranny) and all the hydraulic system it uses. To tell you the truth the F5M21 held up to the power better than the F5M22 and if you are going to use the non turbo engine I wouldn't mess with switching them as of yet. I was able to run 12.5 sec at 114mph with the F5M21 transmission on slicks and launching at 5000rpm. You will need to switch the plate between the engine and transmission from the 1.5L to the 4g63, it mounts behind the flywheel, so you can use the 1.5L starter, which works fine even for the 2.0L no problem. You will also need to use the flywheel and clutch from the 2.0L non-turbo you have, the turbo upgrades won't fit in a F5M2X type transmission, try ACT for an upgrade they are the only ones that work for me. My car had no black box by the driver's headlight from the factory, so it was not an issue. Besides none of the wiring came from that side except the oil pressure light wire.

This is all the info that I have. Enjoy reading it, I hope that it helps out some of you who are actually doing the swap.

Chris

---------------------------------------
1994 Mitsubishi Mirage S Coupe
Many Mods
Grey Bumper Posse

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
Many Mods
Flip Up Light Posse

Edited by: dude in a mirage at: 2/3/02 6:38:51 pm

evil93evo
Fully Registered
(2/10/02 12:26:39 pm)
Reply Who talks that much?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I must talk too much by the looks of that post!!!!

Tom

Lancerevo67
Fully Registered
(3/11/02 4:02:02 am)
Reply motor swap....
Is this swap for the Turbo or Non-Turbo 4G63. What Tranny and flywheel would be used on the 4G63T??? The NA flywheel? or the Turbo flywheel, or are they the same? Please let me know.

Lancer14
Mirage Board Moderator
(3/11/02 6:07:52 pm)
Re: motor swap....
Quote:
"Here is the info that I have compiled thus far concerning the swap of a 4G63, 2.0L Turbo motor from a Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T, GSX, Eagle Talon TSI FWD or AWD, and/or Plymouth Laser RS Turbo into a 4th Generation, 1993-1996, Mitsubishi Mirage, Eagle Summit, Dodge Colt."

Yes, its the turbo motor.

Quote:
"You will need to use a flywheel from a 2.0 non turbo DSM fwd 89-94 make sure it has the correct number of bolt holes for your engine (ie 6 bolt or 7 bolt)."

This is when using a 1.5L or 1.8L Mirage tranny. If you plan on trying to swap in the 4G63 tranny, then just use the turbo flywheel.

Did you read the first post?

Chris

Many Mods
Grey Bumper Posse

Many Mods
Flip Up Light Posse

Edited by: Lancer14 at: 3/11/02 6:13:08 pm

Lancerevo67
Fully Registered
(3/12/02 2:43:01 pm)
Reply ........
Yeah, I read it. It just confused me because there is some jumping back and forth and I'm like those people who are into detail heheheh.

Lancer14
Mirage Board Moderator
(3/12/02 8:37:21 pm)
Re: ........
yeah, i just grabbed info from a bunch of different posts and only edited it for spelling and a few little things.

Chris

Many Mods
Grey Bumper Posse

Many Mods
Flip Up Light Posse

B20Z
Registered but still needs a CUSTOM title
(3/18/02 6:10:39 pm)
Reply Re: Due To Popular Request... (warning LONG)
Lancer14,

I am a little loss, I read your post a few times and it's really good it has answer lot's of questions. I still have a few more if you don't mind.

1. the harness, is the the engine harness or the whole harness under the dash? Is the ECU plug and play?
2. The 2g Eclipse FWD trans will work?
3. I am getting my 93 this few weeks, is the clutch cable or hydro?

Thanks

dude in a mirage
Mirage Board Moderator
(3/18/02 6:23:14 pm)
2. 2G FWD trannies have mounts on the tranny similar to the mirage so it would be easier.

3. 1.5L - cable clutch 1.8L - hydraulic

99 LS Coupe
so the wife said, "You spent how much on your car?"
and I replied, "We can always start the baby's college fund next year......."

You can really get used to the couch if you sleep there long enough...

B20Z
Registered but still needs a CUSTOM title
(3/18/02 7:21:26 pm)
Thanks for the answers dude in a mirage

Lancer14
Mirage Board Moderator
(3/18/02 8:10:37 pm)
Re: Due To Popular Request... (warning LONG)
To answer your first question to the best of my ability, you will need the ECU from an Eclipse that is the same year as the engine you get, and you need the whole wiring harness that plugs into it, as the Mirage one won't fit.

Chris

Many Mods
Grey Bumper Posse

Many Mods
Flip Up Light Posse

Amphetamine Racer
Fully Registered
(3/18/02 9:20:05 pm)
I didn't want to get into this subject just yet - but since it's next on the horizon for me...

So we would need the entire wiring assembly from under the dash as well and just splice it in to whatever functions it's supposed to perform? I guess that's what's gonna eat a lot of time - fleshing out wiring diagrams.

I know we need all the stuff from under the hood - that's a given. That big ole snake looking harness that wraps around the instrument panel has to come out as well? I guess I'll get my self two packs of Shiner and some snips and have at it this weekend...
4G Coupe w/4G63t coming soon...

Lancer14
Mirage Board Moderator
(3/18/02 9:26:05 pm)
I honestly can't say for sure what exactally you'll need, that question is better off left to Tom.

Chris

Many Mods
Grey Bumper Posse

Many Mods
Flip Up Light Posse

blytz
Mirage Board Administrator
(3/18/02 9:27:33 pm)
I don't think you need anything more than the under hood harness. The Mirage Harness is broken down into several main parts:

1. Engine Harness
2. Dash Harness
3. Front Electrical Harness (on the driver's side, connects to fuse box and then striaght into the engine bay)
4. Rear electrical harness

You shouldn't have to touch #4 or #3.
You WILL have to replace #1
You will either simply have to plug the NEW engine harness into #2 or splice it in somehow.
ALL of the "daughter" harnesses plug into #2.....
-=blytz=-

1993 Mirage S Sedan
1992 Galant VR-4 #373
www.miragetuner.com
Grey Bumper Posse in da house!

bigdaddymars
Just Started, wanna Pen?
(4/5/02 1:03:56 pm)
Reply My poor dodge colt (Mitsu Mirage)
Hi all. I've got a 94 Colt 1.5 coupe. I've been looking into this motor swap since I bought my car back in Y2K but never had the money nor the immediate necessity to do it.... until now.

My poor 1.5 has taken some harsh beating and most recently I've gotten into a low speed rear end bang up. (pics to come soon)

Given my motors leaks on almost every gasket, my cracked transmission (I don't know how it happened) and my front end smash up... I think now would be a good time to get down to business.

1st ... Is there anyone in Canada (preferably the Toronto and GTA area) that has done or is in the process of doing anything like this? cause I really would like a recommended mechanic to work on my car.

2nd. given that my bumper, hood and a small portion of the fenders are all banged up, anyone have any recommendations as to body kits / conversions that would look nice? I know the evo IV kit from SSV is a very good possibility and first choice for most but I'm also looking at more domestic alternatives. Eclipse headlight conversion maybe.

FYI I'm not doing this for Drag Racing or Circuit or anything (at least not yet) This is gonna be a daily driver with a little umph (well a lot of umph if you consider I'm getting more than double the stock hp of the 1.5 motor! *big grrin*)

neway. I know this took up a lot of reading time but if you got this far then I'd love to hear your thoughts and feedback!!

gclipse
Registered
(4/13/02 12:05:35 pm)
Reply Re: My poor dodge colt (Mitsu Mirage)
In the states there a number of us that deal with
4G63 parts.

However YOUR immediate shop is:

Magnus Motorsports
www.magnusmotorsports.com

Marco Passante and the guys at his shop are the reason that ALOT of guys with 97-99 Eclipses have kept their cars!!!!
If they founs a way to install a 6 bolt Eclipse motor into a 7 bolt chassis.

They can definitley help you with whatever they're trying to do.

Tell him Geoff from Mach V Motorsports referred you!

Geoff
Mach V Motorsports
www.machv.com

www.machv.com/machv/89dodcoltur.html
www.machv.com/machv/91gsx.html

decodeddiesel
Registered
(4/15/02 11:38:19 am)
Reply 4G61T, differences?
I am seriously thinking of swapping my 4G93 with a 4G61T. It looks like I can get a hold of a 4G61T for a lot cheaper than a 4G63T, and while I know I wouldn't be able to push the crazy HP that the 4G63T is capable of, I am not looking for that much power. I am more aiming for 200-220 hp in the end for Auto X and some drag racing...if I'm in the low 14s high 13s I'd be REAL happy. So my question is, how much of a difference in the swap process would there be between the 1.6 and the 2.0? I know it is the same block, just the 2.0 is bored out more. Do you guys think it would be similar? Do you think it would be worth it to go with a 1.6 T or stay with my 1.8 NA? Any thoughts?

dude in a mirage
Mirage Board Moderator
(4/15/02 12:36:59 pm)
Reply Re: 4G61T, differences?
I'd say go 4G61T if you can do it affordably...even though it is a drop in displacement it might be easier to just swap it and upgrade the turbo/injectors then to turbo the 4G 1.8L...

You can really get used to the couch if you sleep there long enough...

decodeddiesel
Registered
(4/15/02 8:46:17 pm)
Reply Re: 4G61T, differences?
OK dude, I think I'll follow your advise. I myself have done a couple engine swap in my day, but never on an import. My roomate restores old classic cars (60s Impallas, a 65 Mustang, a 71 Chevelle, etc) and has a lange tool chest including an engine crane. I've seen some 4G61Ts for sale in forums for right around $1000 so given that, misc needed parts, a couple cases of beer, I think I can break 200HP for under 2K. Sounds like a winner to me. I know between jack and squat though about turbos though so this will be a big learning experience.

kItTeEkAt
Just Started, wanna Pen?
(5/26/02 5:32:24 pm)
help i am trying to swap a evo3 4g63 into my fwd eclipse. the motor mounts dont line up and i need new axles. what else. please help. thanks kawika

blytz
Mirage Board Administrator
(5/26/02 6:37:56 pm)
you'd be better off trying an eclipse board... I think you'll have different problems than we are used to...

blytz
1993 Mirage S Sedan
1992 Galant VR-4 #373

WELP THERE YA HAVE IT KNOCK YOURSELF OUT GO KILL SOME DSM'S LOL and try please try to not spin the tires in 4th gear remember its a ONE legger unless you LSD dat bi*** :p
have fun:thumb: :D OMG :laser: :talon: :dsm:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well hyena has my beast now, i figured i would build up a sleeper, and do some smokey burnouts:thumb:
thankyou turbo monkey...this will be helpful!:thumb:

I done that swap 1 month ago
only 210 HP but car is beast (2100 lb weight)
run like hell.
:D :D
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Since there is no "engine swap forum" i am using the n00b forum.
I am looking for info on swapping the 4g63 engine into a 93-95 mirage.

Here's what we have:
machined 4g63 block w/ turbo oil squirters, 4g64 crank/rods, 91 n/a pistons, 4g63 DOHC head, turbo cams, 91 4g63 5spd, 91 4g63 wire harness & ECU (a whole 91 Eclipse GS parts car).

The car is a 1995 mirage 2 door, 1.5L SOHC 5spd. The engine burns oil real bad, and the transmission must have detonated internally because it acts like broken gears and what not (don't ask)

The car is very clean and the engine build was cheap.

We are working on the car for my friends brother (to be his first car) a 2.3 n/a stroker will hold the beating of a 16 year old, and if he ever decides to go with turbo bolt ons the 9:1 compression of the stroker will work out.

But the problem is, i don't know whats needed for the swap, motor mounts, drive shafts, i don't even know if this is a bolt in swap, the wiring i can figure out but if i had a swap diagram that would be great.

Just pretty much looking for a breakdown of the swap, hopefully from someone who has done this already.

97-2001 Mirage are totally different, 93-96 are the same engine orientation as the older Mirage, Colt, Summit. So since they put the 1.6L DOHC turbo motor in them I believe this swap is very possable. Also you have to think about the Evo.

HELP?

Yeah, I have a 5G mirage DE Sedan that I wanted to do the same thing with, but my wife shot it down. I'm sure the swap into a 4G coupe is do-able, it's been done by some people over at the Mirage Performance Forums and more particularly this post . There are alot of knowledgable people over there concerning the Mirage/Summit/Colt. Good luck!

Hey, where in NY do you live?
I'm an admin at the Mirage Performance Forums (ALTR EVO). I'd gladly help with the swap if you're nearby. There's a lot of info about this swap on our forums, check out the knowledge base and search around a bit.

Chris

Lil Evo converted his Mirage to AWD with some custom work. It looked like he was having traction problems in 4th while FWD, spinning slicks all the way down the 1/4 mile.

His website is www.lilevo.com You can also try asking him how he did it, but I've heard that he doesn't answer questions. Maybe you'll have better luck than the others have.

Didn't mean to dig up an old post, me and some friends got a 1.5 liter Colt for 180 bucks so I was just making sure it was possible. Thanks for the help though.

The lilevo is for sale on ebay in case anyone missed it. Apparently he wrecked and parted most of it out or something.

I have a 90 gst. The shell is a little beat so i decided to pull the motor and swap it into my colt. I have researched it plenty but all i find is details for a swap into a 93+ swap. my colt is a 92. Will the swap still work? What other steps do i have to take? any help would be great

Does anybody know if this is the same for AWD? Specifically 1g awd...

Dint mean to bring back a dead thread, but I didn't wanna start a new one.

Don't mean to bring up an old thread either but... Can you o the 4g63 swap to a 1990 Summit? I am looking at getting one for $1,000. (The links to "4g61t.com" or whatever, don't work too, so yeahh....)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back