Street Build Midengine 4G63

Posted by tjohn23, Jul 17, 2017

Please Support Boostin Performance
  1. tjohn23

tjohn23 Proven Member

Joined Jun 19, 2008
    phoenix, Arizona
    I have had the MR2 (sw20) for 3 years, i purchased the car without an engine. I originally planned to swap the engine with a 4G63 but i decided against it in attempts to be a purest. I went ahead and installed a 3vzfe but never could get it to start. I tried for about a year while working on my 1g but in a turn of events i was in a car accident with my 1g so i now had a complete engine with less than 2000 miles with many u[grades and a full line of aftermarket parts unlike the 3vzfe. After another year i decide to just say bluck it and, i took out that 3vzfe and began this mission. it has been 2 months of work but this is where i am now
    IMG_0222[1].JPG
    ?temp_hash=109b33115a4cccc74831535a6940b39b.jpg
    IMG_0258[1].JPG
    IMG_0244[1].JPG

Attached Files:

My DSM:
    LV-DSM likes this.
  2. sirbow2

sirbow2 Proven Member

Joined Apr 10, 2013
    Rapid City, South Dakota
    Well, it looks like you have the engine in the right way so that's half the battle!

How's the room look for a turbo up against the firewall?

3. spyderdrifter

spyderdrifter Supporting Member

Joined Jul 11, 2009
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Looks good so far, hope there's more to come ;)

My DSM:
    1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST (sold)

Street Build

T28   manual
    1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX (sold)

16g   manual
    1996 Eagle Talon N/T (sold)

manual
  4. GPLaserRS

GPLaserRS Proven Member

Joined Aug 23, 2005
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I have a SW20 MR2 as well and always thought it would be awesome to put a 4G63 into that chassis, so much power potential and easier (see also cheaper) to tune than a 3SGTE.

What did you do with the 3VZ? I only ask because I'm picking one up to swap into my "2" because I blew up the 5SFE while tracking it and my oil coolers fitting leaking all the oil out :ohdamn:

My DSM:
    1992 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo AWD

Street Build

16g   manual
  5. rabenne

rabenne Proven Member

Joined Apr 21, 2006
    Binghamton, New York
    If I lived closer I would help you for free, just to see how this plays out.

My DSM:
    1995 Eagle Talon TSi

Street Build

50trim   manual
  6. curt-s

curt-s Supporting Member

Joined Dec 21, 2008
    Winterville, MB, Canada
    Interesting build. Couple questions:

Have you mocked up the shifter linkage yet?
    Is there an exhaust manifold on that head?
    Is that the most neutral angle you can get on the drive shafts? The resting CV axle angles look quite extreme.
    Are you repositioning the turbo to the trans side?

Keep at it! I sure dont envy any in-place work on the exhaust side haha

My DSM:
    curt-s 1991 Eagle Talon TSi

16g   manual
  7. GRNDSM

GRNDSM Moderator

Joined May 16, 2002
    Chelmsford, Massachusetts
    There is are a couple of Friero's with similar set up one local to me started MR2 project but never completed it :(.

Keep up the updates!

My DSM:
    1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Autocross Build

13.10 @ 101 MPH

Street Build

11.74 @ 118 MPH
    1994 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

10.123 @ 138.060 MPH
  8. GPLaserRS

GPLaserRS Proven Member

Joined Aug 23, 2005
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    My DSM:

Street Build

16g   manual
    spyderdrifter likes this.
  9. ChessmoDSM

ChessmoDSM Proven Member

Joined Apr 22, 2017
    Burlington, Vermont
    That is badarse..

10. tjohn23

tjohn23 Proven Member

Joined Jun 19, 2008
    phoenix, Arizona
    @GPLaserRS That Fiero really made me want to just take the risk and do it (especially after seeing matt farah's one take). The big difference between the Fiero and the MR2 is is that Fiero has a ton of room especially between the axles, the mr2 is limited. I still have the 3vzfe, it is from a manual transmission ES300, this combination is very rare. I used the e153 transmission from the ES300 and 1996 Rav4 axles that basically have turbo transmission inners and non turbo mr2 outers( you wont find that information anywhere). The rav4 has a 5sfe but a turbo mr2 transmission, but im sure you going to use the stock tranny.

@sirbow2 There is plenty of space for the exhaust manifold, with it and the turbo in the stock position.
    IMG_0273[1].JPG

@curt-s here is the linkage. I am using 1g cables that have been extended about 9 inches or so I am just seeing if this works if not I will buy B & m 6ft cables. The only problem is the connector nut hits when shifting gears and is reverse threaded so it's kind of hard to change unless I bust out the welder
    IMG_0271[1].JPG
    IMG_0268[1].JPG

My DSM:
    spyderdrifter likes this.
  11. tjohn23

tjohn23 Proven Member

Joined Jun 19, 2008
    phoenix, Arizona
    My DSM:
    Spideydsm99 and spyderdrifter like this.
  12. GPLaserRS

GPLaserRS Proven Member

Joined Aug 23, 2005
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    @tjohn23, you found a Unicorn as a donor car.. I didn't even know that you could get the ES300 with a manual, wow! Any interest in shipping the engine and trans to MI so I don't have to buy the 3VZ I have on hold at the yard that has a tick over 100K? Also, I have never seen any documentation on running Rav4 axles with the E-series transmission, so that is a useful bit of info for sure. I'm running the S54 with an OBX LSD (knock-off TRD LSD) and have been pretty happy with it so to keep cost down I'll probably just stick with that trans, plus I have a spare that I wanna swap 5th gear in and change the FD to make it a little happier on the freeway.

Do you have a build thread for this over on MR2.com or MR2oc.com?

My DSM:

Street Build

16g   manual
  13. curt-s

curt-s Supporting Member

Joined Dec 21, 2008
    Winterville, MB, Canada
    Fan-fkin-tastic. The top-view pics dont give a lot i the way of correct perspective so it looked a lot more hopeless looking from above when youre not familiar with the bay dimensions, especially the diff looking so far back from the spindles with no weight on the suspension. You definitely have a good handle on this. Excited to see more

My DSM:
    curt-s 1991 Eagle Talon TSi

16g   manual
  14. tjohn23

tjohn23 Proven Member

Joined Jun 19, 2008
    phoenix, Arizona
    This is my first build thread but I completed the whole 3vzfe swap, except the tranny and clutch stuff, I just couldn't get it to start/stay running, there wasn't a large aftermarket, I missed my dsm and I didn't want another fwd. There isn't a large market for the 3vzfe if I had a second chance I would have gone with a newer v6 ( if I were going to stay with a Toyota motor). I have never shipped a motor plus im not sure if it's any good.

My DSM:
  15. GPLaserRS

GPLaserRS Proven Member

Joined Aug 23, 2005
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I'm going with the 3VZ solely because of the iron block and how easily it can handle boost, and how easy it is to install. The 2GR is an incredible engine and they are becoming more affordable but the swap kit is expensive, and I'm not a fan of drive by wire throttle. I think when I complete my 3VZ swap and get the desire for more power or even reliability I would consider the 2GR then.

I was only half serious about you selling and shipping me the motor and trans, but now that I know about the Rav4 axles I am very interested in running that E-series trans. I only wish you weren't 2000 mi from Michigan.

SO, back on track here.. You are going to have to run custom axles for this build, while you're at it I'd get an LSD to handle the power. I like that I see a Black Box ecu in the trunk though :thumb: What are your plans for the gauge cluster, Autometer gauges on a custom plate or are you going to try and running the stock with the Mitsu sensors? I'm really interested to see how this build goes, it's already full of potential!!

My DSM:

Street Build

16g   manual