The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

ECMlink Meth users. Where do you mount your iat sensor?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJ23GSX

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 22, 2004
W. Springfield, Massachusetts
I've been doing a lot of reading about where to mount my iat sensor when running meth injection and was curious where the ecmlinker's stand on this?

From my research people on other platforms like to run the iat sensor after the meth nozzle so if the meth ever stops spraying they can pull a bunch of timing based on the rise in iat's and keep the motor together. Since we don't have that luxury with link (to my knowledge) is there any other reason it would be beneficial to run the iat sensor after the meth nozzle? I live in New England and temps can vary 30+ degrees from my morning commute to my afternoon ride home and ever since switching over to speed density with no iat sensor I've been having issues keeping afr's consistent. I am running straight meth for its octane boost not its cooling affect. I believe my ETS race core should keep iat's reasonable without the meth.

Thanks

good question been wondering myself.. but if you have the iat after the sprayer you are not getting a accurate reading of air temperature. you will get a lot of fluctuations of temperatures. With the sensor before the sprayer you will still see a change in temperature as it rises if the sprayer stops working. You just need a way to see that temp at all times if you are worried about running out of meth/water... to keep an eye on that you can always buy a temp sensor gauge for the intercooler pipe..

Last edited:
I've decided to mount it before the meth nozzle based on some info posted on the ecmlink forum. I believe it's going to give me the most accurate and consistent afr's based on weather changes.

I would mount it after the meth. You want to air temp that is going into the cylinder so the ECU can get the best info for the AFR calculations. This will also automatically adjust if the meth stops because their is a fuel adjusting table for air temps in the EFI algorithms.

This is true but I've read that if the meth is hitting the iat sensor wet before it vaporizes then it's not going to give accurate intake air temps. Both make sense I guess but I've heard from guys who run it both ways and they all say that their afr's stay pretty consistent. I was just kinda of wondering if there was any huge difference running it either way. Based on the info I've come across it doesn't seem like there is. My buddy who will be welding my bung for me has lots of meth experience in the GN's his shop builds so I'll pick his brain too before I have it done.

Like I said on Link, I've always ran it before the nozzle and my afr's are very consistant. You can see in this screen shot, the green line is my WB and it dips way down at the first of the pull as meth is progressively injected from 9psi to full pump pres. @ 17psi. But as I pull fuel to compensate for the meth, you can see it start to lean out. But for the most part thats what I get, nothing wacky or crazy which you'll get if raw meth hits the sensor. Meth has saved my ass a number of times I've lost fuel with wonkey wiring and other shit shows I seem to get myself into LOL. Its been great for me with just 91 oct available.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back