The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Megan Drag Preferred Coilover Preload and Height Adjustment

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dugan33

Supporting VIP
Jun 11, 2011
Madison, Wisconsin
Hey all, couple questions and concerns regarding Megan Racing Drag Coilover setups for street/drag racing 450-500hp range.

1. I want to know what the best preload settings are for the original Megan Drag Coilovers. I ask because I know I've commonly seen people switching swift springs in these coilovers for drag racing AND setting a preload similar to whatever the spring compresses installed. But, I dont know what I would set a preload for the original megan springs at.
  2. I want to try out the stock coilover springs first before spending the $400 on the swift springs just yet, mostly since these springs are like new and I'd rather put that money elsewhere at least for this season.
  3. Lastly, what ride height would be ideal? I'm mostly concerned about performance off the line.

Here's all I know for coilover specs:

SPRING RATES:
F: 62mm ID; 200mm length; 10 kg/mm
R: 62mm ID; 200mm length; 6 kg/mm

DAMPER SPECS:
F: 115mm stroke; 220mm length; A2 valving code
R: 115mm stroke; 260mm length; A1 valving code

^this was pulled off STM's site.:dsm:

Here's what I know for my cars wheel/tire setup and camber/toe adjustment:
I'm running the stock evo wheels and tires 235/40/r18. I will have the SPC upper ball joint for camber adjustment in the front and the STM bolt/washer camber fix for the rear as well as probably just some megan toe arms.

I understand this is a trial and error kinda adjustment, but I'm really hopefully someone who's spent some time with this can chime in with what worked best for them. Thanks so much!

Attached are pictures of my coilovers and an estimate from STM for the spring swap. Maybe I'm crazy but I don't think the top hats are as level as they are supposed to be.

BTW my old Koni Yellow and H+R lowering springs setup is for sale. :sneaky:

Attachments

• coilover springs and camber estimate.pdf
    69.9 KB · Views: 121
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    71.7 KB · Views: 184
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    69.3 KB · Views: 133
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    36.3 KB · Views: 119
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    47.7 KB · Views: 123
I was able to pull a 1.56 60' with the factory setup on my megans for my 1g. I want to say they are similar in spring rates between the 1g and 2g.

12 kg/mm
R: 10 kg/mm

Are the 1g drag setup rates off their site

Did you have zero preload? How lowered was it?
I had the preload suggested in the instructions. as far as how height I wasn't lowered much from stock. I do have pictures on my build thread of my 92

Dang I wish there was a good tutorial on this for a 2g. Like I’m afraid adjusting the height 1.5 inches from all the way out isn’t going to really equate to 1.5 inch drop. I’ll just have to trial and error I guess

that's basically what I did with mine man. I want to play around with spring rates here soon. see if I can get a better 60' out of it.

Hiw to adjust height depends if you want to do it the correct way or the easy way, lets stick sith the easy way for now and what is known as normal adjustment to also keep maximum shock travel!

Preload will be minimal for you if any atall! Lets keep it simple as it can make it worse or better but you have to have so much data for it to be adjust its not worth it for you, so set it to just touching the spring and lock it off, adjust the height using the lower mounting.

Also the top mount might not be level because its not the proper way for the shock on a 2G so what you see is possible load tension on 1 side of the mount compared to the other! It might be where the spring has taken its form and set 1 sided but thats just a guess,

As for better traction i dont know as i am not a drag guy, i think its less squat so maybe add rebound to keep it firmer back there,

I was thinking some preload would benefit greatly for launching. With the coils off the car I’m unsure exactly how much I should adjust for preload and height. I was going to try 5mm preload in the back and 0 or snug in the front and see how that goes.

It would be nice if rough measurements for height were available. I’m going to leave height the way it is and adjust once installed I think. I want full function of the suspension so I’m probably aiming for 1.3-1.5 inch drop.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back