1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Trouble Logging In or Staying Logged In?

CLEAR YOUR BROWSER COOKIES! More info about this can be found here. If you still have trouble after clearing your browser's cookies and cache, reply to that thread and tell us what browser you're using and what device you're using.

Mazda speed 6 transfercase seized?

Posted by AlexGsxCummins, Oct 20, 2018

Please Support Ace Race Parts
  1. AlexGsxCummins

AlexGsxCummins Proven Member

Joined May 31, 2014
    Bremerton, Washington
    Hey guys, working on my buddy's mazda speed 6 awd, he said he was on the freeway and the car started forcibly slowing down. Then if stopped he tried to move it and it wouldn't move. He towed it to a shop and they said the transfer case seized, I just got this home and off the trailer so I have not even had time to look under it. The shop removed the driveline and after unloading it I realized I just rolled the thing off the trailer. So I start it and drive it to the garage..the driveshaft is currently out of it, so wouldn't the t-case still be spinning.. so the front tires should have still been locked up correct? Or maybe I'm spacing something I've been busy all day haha.

My DSM:
    1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

Street Build

16g   manual

Featured Products from our Supporting Vendors

2. tametalon92

tametalon92 Proven Member

Joined Jan 5, 2012
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    Well, with limited info and research done, their awd system makes it look (and I can't stress how much I'm guessing) like it could be something in the rear siezed. I can't see any clutch packs or anything in the PTO, or any kind if disengagement function.

But if something in the rear siezed then id expect issues with rolling still. So idk :idontknow:

My DSM:
    1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

manual
    1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

14b   manual
  3. AlexGsxCummins

AlexGsxCummins Proven Member

Joined May 31, 2014
    Bremerton, Washington
    That's kind of what I was thinking. I'm going to jack it up tomorrow if I get time, should be able to find out then.. just checking here with you guys incase I was spacing something

My DSM:
    1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

Street Build

16g   manual
  4. Rekadae

Rekadae Supporting Member

Joined Jul 14, 2017
    Lapeer, Michigan
    Speed 6’s can disconnect the rear with the E-Brake it’s a fwd bias awd system that can be turned off it’s a click up I believe and it deactivated the rear perfectly normal to drive only using the front in these.

My DSM: