The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Max Boost on a Small 16G

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlphaAssault

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 5, 2007
Tyler, Texas
So I am still trying to figure out what the previous owner has done to the car, and I am fixing to ask a really noobish question. How much boost is a small 16g producing when the MBC is turned up all the way? Thats whats going on in my GSX, but ive never noticed any fuel cut or knocking, which leads me to believe theres at least an aftermarket fuel pump somewhere in the car. Could someone ballpark how much max boost and hp a 16g is making?

If you have a mbc installed without a boost gauge uninstall it now!!! Im serous if you dont know what boost your hitting you are going to blow that motor up. That thing can be going way out of efficiency and blowing hot air. With a boost guage all the way up it can be hitting 30psi!!!!

that would be totally dependent upon how much the wastegate actuator is opening. are you still running the stock actuator?? i mean, a small 16g could run up to 30lbs. but that doesnt mean you wouldnt have parts flying off of the turbo. i would imagine about 22-24 lbs. would be absolute max on that turbo maybe less than that. some others on here might be running more than that, but i dont see how you could safely do that. HP wise ( i dont wanna bench race here) but i would say a small 16g with all supporting mods would be good for upwards of 275-300. hope that helps

also, if your not running a boost guage then your getting into some really dangerous territory. just turn the mbc down till you feel like you have no power whatsoever. that will be safe, then buy a boost guage and get it installed. then you can safely crank on the mbc then.

If you have a mbc installed without a boost gauge uninstall it now!!! Im serous if you dont know what boost your hitting you are going to blow that motor up. That thing can be going way out of efficiency and blowing hot air. With a boost guage all the way up it can be hitting 30psi!!!!

I think he knows how much boost he is running, he just wants to know what is safe.

I have heard anywhere from 15 to 25, but to run it safe i would say 15lbs.

From his post he makes it sound like he is running max boost with no guage and wanted to know what that boost level would be. Unless I mis understood his post.

If he wants to know what is safe then I would say stock boost since he has no idea what mods are done. I dont see how he can be doing fine with his mbc all the way up. Are you using a logger to watch knock?

I agree with jayrolla. if your not monitoring how much boost your running......its not safe. Thats why dsms get a bad rep becuase poeple buy stock dsms and crank the boost as high as possible then boom. As far as peak boost your probably sitting at around 22-25. stock cars dont like that much. you would be better off getting a boost guage to monitor and lower the boost to about 15. thats a little bit higher then stock but your still in the safe zone.

I do NOT have a boost gauge installed, but one is on my list of things to get. The previous owner modded the hell out of this thing, and I think I got lucky because the whole car is in good shape. Check my profile, I have listed all the mods I have found so far. The A pillar on the drivers side is a different color than the rest of the interior, which means there was a boost gauge installed at one point, though that doesnt really do me a lot of good right now. The wastegate actuator looks new, though I dont know if its just an OEM replacement or an aftermarket actuator. Sooo, a boost gauge it is then... anyone have any good suggestions on those?

that would be totally dependent upon how much the wastegate actuator is opening. are you still running the stock actuator?? i mean, a small 16g could run up to 30lbs. but that doesnt mean you wouldnt have parts flying off of the turbo. i would imagine about 22-24 lbs. would be absolute max on that turbo maybe less than that. some others on here might be running more than that, but i dont see how you could safely do that. HP wise ( i dont wanna bench race here) but i would say a small 16g with all supporting mods would be good for upwards of 275-300. hope that helps

also, if your not running a boost guage then your getting into some really dangerous territory. just turn the mbc down till you feel like you have no power whatsoever. that will be safe, then buy a boost guage and get it installed. then you can safely crank on the mbc then.

I'm not saying your wrong my friend is making 387AWHP on a S16g Clipped. The car has been fine for 8,000 miles on 28lbs of boost.

27psi spike most likely settling down to 22ish. No way in hell is it holding that to redline.

I'm pushing 25 psi on my small 16g. And holds it and pullls great to red line. But I have an external dump which really helps with it not spiking and breaths better up top.

You guys running a Small 16G that hard are asking for problems. You need a bigger turbo at a lower boost level.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

27psi would chart 2.83 on the map...you're dangerously close to the surge line....not to mention shaft speeds would be instanity. Plotting 2.83 shows just how inefficient the turbo would be at that boost level....unless you're running E85 or have a monster intercooler with meth injection, you're just generating a lot of hot air that's shortening the life of your engine and your turbo.

I'm running e85 and have a water to air intercooler.... they work great and I've been running this turbo at that boost pressure for a while. I know it's outside of what's efficient, that's why I have the water to air. When/if this turbo breaks, it will be ok because it was free and I have more in the garage to replace it with.

The pertinent parts are just tubular o2 housing, 3" exhaust, plenty of fuel, and a good tune. 12.5AFR all the way to redline when boost comes on.

Also, the car is creeping to 27psi, the boost controller isn't set to that. It goes to about 25psi and then creeps to 27. More dangerous than the turbo being overspun is the fact that I only have a 3bar in the car so it's on the ragged edge of what it can meter.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back