The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

Making a true 3" turbo back exhaust..

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geeb

Proven Member
Apr 6, 2016
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I'm using the megan SS downpipe. Cutting off the 2.5" reducer and flange and welding a full (short) 3" SS pipe to a 3" v band (mating style, female side)

Then making a 3" O2 housing with another v band (male side, both from ACEofRACE.com) to connect to the downpipe

..and even though it's a 2.60 ID (3.09 OD) V band on the turbo, AGP turbo makes a dual stepped 3.09 OD V band clamp.. The dual step part comes into play by either a 2.5" od pipe fitting inside the step, or a 3" od pipe fitting on the outside of the pipe..

I was a little confused on how could they know the thickness of the piping I'm using, wouldn't you need to know ID to fit something over the pipe??

So just to make sure it would fit the first time on all the clamps I got.. I ordered the piping from AGP also. Since all they say for the clamp is 3" od piping fits over the step, and all they say for the piping is 3" od, I'm guessing they should go together..

Anyways. My turbo is a pte6165.

And I got a new manifold (looks just like map style) professionally ceramic coated black. Looks nice..

But do you guys think this plan is overkill? I'm going to have to get or make a custom o2 housing anyway since the only housings I can find are for mitsu style hot sides, unless i want to pay like 300 bucks for a custom one. And I'd have to ship out my manifold and hot side for mock up, and still be working with 2.5.. I have like 100$ worth of parts to get this done

And I'm going to be gas welding it with oxy/acetylene and a COBRA dhc 2000 (this thing is sickk)

Lmk what you guys think..

Technically, exhaust "pipe" is steel tubing and is typically denoted in OD / wall thickness. Those are the dimensions you'd be more apt to care about when fitting and fabbing. This can be expressed in thousandths of an inch (.000") , a standard gauge number (00 ga), or pipe schedule (sch 00) (depending on context, of course). Shops still will list ID dimensions of tube and round stock, along with other dimensions, and sometimes as a range to cover manufacturing irregularities.

Anyway, fitting to the outside and knowing the thickness of the material you choose/appropriate to the application, it's simple subtraction to find the inside dimension.

A real 3" DP is nice, but there's a lot of stuff to dodge to keep that bend radius reasonable. Lot of guys ditch their PS pump and move the alternator because it tends to get cramped in that area.

Yeah I already have no ps pump and a fwd facing ofh.. I got everything in yesterday and even tho I ordered the stuff from diff places with limited info, it all fits together perfectly.

Attachments

• 0614172240.jpg
    0614172240.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 47
  • 0614172241.jpg
    0614172241.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 0614172243.jpg
    0614172243.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 0614172247a.jpg
    0614172247a.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 0614172247.jpg
    0614172247.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 0614172250.jpg
    0614172250.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 39
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back