The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Made some low boost passes at a private track rental

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bastarddsm

20+ Year Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Mendota, Illinois
I've had a hell of a year, basically only made it to the track a few times. Had a dead fuel pump at the shootout, then broke a trans first pass at my next outing, then next one broke an axle. I've been struggling to get consistent launches for the last few seasons as well. I was pretty well discouraged with my car. We had a local private track rental last weekend, so I started from the bottom and turned the boost down as low as it would go - 21psi. I also made a few small changes to the setup. So me and my brother went with a goal of having a fun day at the track, and maybe getting in a 10.9x at 21psi.

Worked on the launch all day trying a few things, and finally got it. 10.99@126 1.55 60' at 22ish psi.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Setup:
JE Manley 8.5:1 2.0
White Shed Speed Stage Infinity 6 bolt Cylinder head.
Kelford 272 Cams
Non ported EVOIII intake.
Garrett GT3788AVNT (6466)
White Shed Speed Race FMIC
White Shed Speed 3" exhaust with 2 mufflers.
White Shed Speed Abacus ECU
White Shed Speed Transmission with WSS 4 spider
ACT2600 and 4 puck disc
White Shed Speed Coil Over suspension - rear still needs work.
5yr old QTP's
Car and driver 3200lbs currently.
Not bad for a basic low compression 2.0, and an intake setup that many say won't ever work. If you look at some of the performance predictors, 126mph should be a 10.5 and a 1.46 60'. Car looses a couple tenths from 60-330, boost recovery on the 1-2 shift is not as good as I'd like. Working on that next, but it's still a pretty good ET for the mph.

Supposed to have a stick shift race sunday if the weather holds. I'm going to start adding boost back in at the top of second and see if it holds. I'd really like to see a 1.4x 60' this year.

Let us know how it goes! Bet it was fun, I never made it to the track this year and am disappointed.
10's are always something to smile about, but I know your car has much more in it.

1st subscriber on the channel LOl

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181031-105927_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20181031-105927_YouTube.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 69
How’s that stage infinity head flow. Also interested in the abacus ecu performance.

I didn't have a chance to flow this head with this valve job and valves. I'm going to try when the engine comes apart this winter (piston to valve clearances isn't enough for me) This one has quite a bit of chamber and bowl work, and then +1mm valves. I did flow it with stock back cut valves, and it was about 10% up on flow over a bnib mitsu casting. Typically bigger valves helps the low lift flow the most. Pro tip - for those that don't know - low lift flow improvements makes a smaller cam act like a bigger cam, without all the nasty side effects of big cams.
I'm working on a stage "Infinity and Beyond" but just haven't had the time. I need to put together a velocity probe and see whats up.

The Abacus is working great. It does what I tell it to, always grabs a great data-log, WITHOUT HAVING A LAPTOP IN THE CAR. I've been able to really work on the launch control and nlts and meet the unique needs of a dsm. It's controlling my VGT turbo well. Throttle response is great, and it really is doing a nice job controlling a lsu4.2. The car basically behaves like stock as far as engine management goes. It's been getting almost 20mpg on E85 cruising at 85mph with the EvoIII finals (lots of rpm)

I have a bit of work to do on it yet:
- The transition from on throttle back to idle mode needs a bit of work, but it's still very very good.
- Need to work on parking the ISC at shut down - idle speed gets a little wonky every once and a while, and it think it's because of this.
- Need to work on failsafes and error detection/handling.
- Need to do some testing on the SD fueling mode. I use a maf.
- I'd like to work on A/T trans shifting controls.

I'm hoping maybe end of spring/summer I can actually make them publicly available. The only drawback is the cost. BUT this a standalone ecu made to the special needs of a dsm, and made by a dsm guy.

Sick man! Keep it up!
Thanks man.

Badass. Keep working on it. My son was born early this year so I may have gone to the track maybe 3x...if that.
Thanks man. I'm hoping next summer goes better. I really want to get this thing deeper in the 9's on a synchro trans, and work towards a dogbox and the 8's! Good luck with the little one! I think I have one more year before my wife starts getting too antsy about a little one. Hope to see some updates from that 90GSX soon!

1st subscriber on the channel LOl
haha it's my brothers channel, he does a lot of drumming shit. Hopefully soon he'll have some footage from his car. He's got a 91 GVR4 I'm helping him put together, and a 83 fairmont that's getting a 4G/T5 swap.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back