Luminics lights .. good? bad?

Posted by justnobody, Dec 3, 2007
Appearance/Interior/Exterior - All interior and exterior tech discussions; body and paint, conversions, lighting, washing, waxing, etc. Probationary Members can post here.

1. justnobody

justnobody Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Kearny, New_Jersey
    hey im looking for a good brand/bulb for my foglights, i was gonna get silverstars but i hear they burn out quick, so i saw luminics for around $35 a pair .. anyone have experience with them, or nokya artics?.
  2. Defiant

Defiant DSM Wiseman

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    glorious Galt, California
    I've not heard of Silver*Stars having a short life. OSRAM (Sylvania Silver*Stars), Bosch, Philips and other established names should all work fine. I last replaced an H-3 bulb in '81- and I run them all the time.
    Don't bother with the off-brand zoomy whip-dick bulbs (including the butt-raping PIAA products)- the ones on the rack at Wal*Mart will work just fine.
    Be sure to check the sporting goods aisles, too- the H-3 is the bulb used in most spot lights, and often sell for $4 in the areas away from the car parts.
  3. yokotabrat

yokotabrat Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    Northglenn, Colorado
    Sylvania About 4 posts down is supposedly a response from Sylvania about the Silverstar's lifetime.

I don't know if the same will apply with foglights. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with how much they're used. I know I can personally attest to the shorter lifetime of the Silverstar headlights in my daily driver Civic. I've gone through 2 sets of lights in the last 3-4 years and have just gone back to regular halogens now.

Sorry, I'm not much help on the Luminics though.
  4. Defiant

Defiant DSM Wiseman

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    glorious Galt, California
    Interesting link. I've been running Silver*Stars on a J30 for more than a year, but not H3 bulbs. I wonder if the Miata has vibration issues with their fog lamp mounting.
    On the DSM, I run bulbs I got out of a case lot on eBay- 100W highs, 65W lows. I use hi-beam bulbs in the low beam housing, with no complaint from other drivers. The boxes are branded "Interdynamics", I think, but I don't know who made the bulbs. Probably Philips.
    If you break a Halogen bulb's filament, you can repair it by tapping on the housing with the power on. If the filament can get close enough to its broken gap, it will re-weld the filament. It will usually keep working at least until the next time it's turned off, and sometimes this fix will hold for years.
  5. carolinakeyz

carolinakeyz Probationary Member

DSM Profiles:
    Myrtle Beach, South_Carolina
    luminics are good bulbs but you have to buy a heavy duty wiring harness for the headlight so that the bulbs wont melt your wires i found this out the hard way. melt wires suck but you can get a harness off of eBay and it"ll even brighten the bulbs