1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Trouble Logging In or Staying Logged In?

CLEAR YOUR BROWSER COOKIES! More info about this can be found here. If you still have trouble after clearing your browser's cookies and cache, reply to that thread and tell us what browser you're using and what device you're using.

1G LSD options for a 1ga fwd?

Posted by Sbgriffin, Jan 10, 2019

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
  1. Sbgriffin

Sbgriffin Proven Member

Joined Jun 14, 2017
    Lewiston, Idaho
    So I'm one of the tracionally challenged, wrong wheel drive guys. I finally have my 6 bolt well sorted, and making good power. But just can't get the power to the road now, and torque steer for days. So it's time to figure something out. Would like to get some advice on, what options are out there still being sold. And pros and cons. From what I've already gathered, only two options possibly? Kaaz or quaife, and both are about the same price. Are there any other options? And where's the best place to buy from, it's a huge investment. Don't want to get screwed. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

1991 Eagle Talon TSi

Street Build

16g   manual

Featured Products from our Supporting Vendors

2. Crackerman

Crackerman Proven Member

Joined Feb 28, 2018
    Alvord, Texas
    Tre used to make the rip grip, basically a phantom grip, but with machine work done to diff to help oil things better. I liked mine a lot, but a quarter or a kaaz is better all around still.

3. Sbgriffin

Sbgriffin Proven Member

Joined Jun 14, 2017
    Lewiston, Idaho
    Yeah but i've heard some horror stories on lsd inserts. Slipping out and breaking your diff. Unless this rip grip is better engineered? Thanks for the input.

1991 Eagle Talon TSi

Street Build

16g   manual
  4. 1qkfwd

1qkfwd DSM Wiseman

Joined Sep 16, 2005
    Sun Valley, Nevada
    Another option would be to go with the bigger spline 2g diff and go with those options. I run the 2g wavtrac in my 1g trans with 2g axles. Have had very good luck with the bigger axle option.

1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST

10.677 @ 128.100 MPH
  5. Farmcar

Farmcar Probationary Member

Joined Aug 6, 2013
    Portage, Michigan
    1qkfwd I was wondering what all had to be changed to run the 2g axles and diff? Is the hub side the same between the 1g and 2g axles?

1990 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo

Drag Race Build

11.34 @ 130 MPH
  6. Sbgriffin

Sbgriffin Proven Member

Joined Jun 14, 2017
    Lewiston, Idaho
    I'll definitely give that some thought. The only thing I don't like about that option is I've already done the equal length axle mod. That is swapping the longer drivers side axle for a AWD half shaft and axle. And it did help a little bit with torque steer. But I understand the 2g axles are considerably stronger. Thanks.

1991 Eagle Talon TSi

Street Build

16g   manual
  7. 1qkfwd

1qkfwd DSM Wiseman

Joined Sep 16, 2005
    Sun Valley, Nevada
    All that needs changed is the axles and diff. Hub side is all the same.
    The half shaft mod isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. As long as the suspension and alignment is dialed in there is no noticeable difference in torque steer between the two.

1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST

10.677 @ 128.100 MPH
  8. Sbgriffin

Sbgriffin Proven Member

Joined Jun 14, 2017
    Lewiston, Idaho
    Good to know, definitely something I'll be thinking about. Thanks for input.

1991 Eagle Talon TSi

Street Build

16g   manual
    1qkfwd likes this.
  9. stillrunning

stillrunning Probationary Member

Joined Oct 10, 2013
    brandon, Florida
    A real LSD front diff will pretty much eliminate torque steer since it works to bias torque to both axles.
    It can be a rather expensive mod but well worth it if you are committed to the platform.
    I wish I wouldn't have waited so long to install mine, the car is a blast to drive when you actually have traction.
    I bought my quaife from extremepsi when they where having one of their holiday sales.

At the minimum you'll need:
    LSD diff
    diff bearings
    speedo gear

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST

Street Build

14b   manual
  10. Sbgriffin

Sbgriffin Proven Member

Joined Jun 14, 2017
    Lewiston, Idaho
    Yeah that's the direction I'm really leaning, quaife that is. I was looking into doing an AWD swap on my 1g, but it's really extensive. Much harder than you 2g guys. So the next best thing is getting an LSD. Then maybe someday I'll find a solid AWD roller. But for now I'd like to get my power to the pavement, and embarrass a few Honda guys.

1991 Eagle Talon TSi

Street Build

16g   manual