The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

LS1 V8 powered Talon ,Anyone done this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yes the v8's do carry more potential, but who is going to drive a highly modified V8 around all day? I know most wouldn't because they will get less then 5 miles to the gallon. Therefore would it be called a DD? I guess if you want to call it a DD then you better have steep pockets... and maybe a mullet would help.

Yes the v8's do carry more potential, but who is going to drive a highly modified V8 around all day? I know most wouldn't because they will get less then 5 miles to the gallon. Therefore would it be called a DD? I guess if you want to call it a DD then you better have steep pockets... and maybe a mullet would help.

I actually have yet to meet a owner of a camaro or trans am, that actually has a mullet. I know a lot of guys, including myself, that daily drive their highly modded out LS1. Anything from people like me who have a cam and suspension, to a buddy that has a 9 second camaro, that he drives to and from the track.
Welcome to Facebook

and i get 20 mpg in city, and if i drive normal, then i get 22-24.

things that i can't do is dd my highly modded dsm.

Someone has already done a mustang!
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fHloWoIy_-g?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fHloWoIy_-g?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

That's Andy, a local DSMer here. Off the trailer the thing was running 9's. It's a beast.

At 15 yrs old I put a V8 in a vega (like many others did). I have seen bigblocks in a Ford Ranger and Fiesta, and FWD powertrains in the back to create a "pusher." You can put a big engine in anything, and it will impress some people. It will be covered by your insurance policy as long as nothing happens to it, no-one gets hurt, and no-one looks into it. If something stupid happens (sounds like what insurance is for) you will not be covered if the accident report notes your modifications. V8s and I4 turbos are both great engines.

To the topic: what do you think about V8 in Eclipse/Talon entirely depends on your objective:

1. I got a V8, Talon shell, and more time than brains: Go for it.
2. I want to do something no one else has done: Sorry, V8 swaps are old news.
3. I want to build a cometitive road race car: get your cg & weight dist right.
4. I want to build a competitive drag car: maybe... how do I compare with others who are winning, what am I going to do better than those really smart guys. who are really good, and really experienced.
5. I want to be different.
6. I want a car with very low resale value.

In my opinion, answers 1, 5, and 6 are great reasons to do this swap. Not intending to be abrasive, just adding some amusement to the read.

I absolutely hate the idea of throwing any v8 into a car with a proven platform of its own.
I could not tell you how many times i have seen:

Nissan/Datsun v8 swap. rb26/25, sr20det red top black top ect....
Toyota v8 swap: 2jz anyone?
Honda beleive it or not has a platform worth building over v8 if your not an a s s about it.

Those are just examples and it kills me, time money and engineering gone into those other companies and the first spedneck that comes along says "lets throw a v8 down in der". When i was at the shoot out this past year there was a 240sx with and rb26swap and i thought that was impressive because someone took the time to research and get involved in the wiring and tuning aspects rather then purely mechanical slap together hope it runs type of job.

I'd like to see a single cam 3000gt swapped to a LSv8 and RWD. I think the N/T should have been RWD anyway. I hate to see people take out an already awesome motor and put a v8 in just to be "different". If you're going to to molest the car you may as well choose one with the base motor that nobody wants anyway.

if you really want to do a v8-swap there is somone doing this to an avenger right now. the only difference between what he is doing and what you would do is the drive shaft would be shorter for you by 1 and 7/8"

here is is project log:

Cudahead's 97 Venge Project - November 2010 UPDATE v2.0 - ASEClub

the engine/trans he's using: pre-1991 5.9L 360ci (408 stroker) with a 727 torqueflight transmission.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back