The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

LS1 V8 powered Talon ,Anyone done this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is it just me, or is a carburetor poking out of a 2g engine bay just utterly sad? So much work to step backwards. Using shear displacement to make enough power to overcome a lack of basic knowledge in fueling, tuning, and forced induction.

back to FUEL INJECTION!!!!>>>.....

Why put an ls1 in a dsm? The corvette weighs as much and has almost the same traction. Tweek the suspension and it has better 60ft times than the best dsm street tire driving. Or build the dsm and tween the suspension and have the same. The time to swap from one to the other is simply a lack of intelligence considering a simple search of the platform history should keep each motor in their respective body.

Is it just me, or is a carburetor poking out of a 2g engine bay just utterly sad? So much work to step backwards. Using shear displacement to make enough power to overcome a lack of basic knowledge in fueling, tuning, and forced induction.

back to FUEL INJECTION!!!!>>>.....

Why put an ls1 in a dsm? The corvette weighs as much and has almost the same traction. Tweek the suspension and it has better 60ft times than the best dsm street tire driving. Or build the dsm and tween the suspension and have the same. The time to swap from one to the other is simply a lack of intelligence considering a simple search of the platform history should keep each motor in their respective body.

Depends if the cars life is spent at on/off throttle conditions at the track or street driven IMO. Some of the fastest cars in the world have some big carbs on them!

Personally, I'll agree fuel injection is alot nicer, but also 2x if not more expensive. I'm not sure the extra cost is always worth the gain on a toy. I'd rather spend my money on drivetrain parts and keep the fuel system simple.

Built a blow through holley setup for under 100 dollars. Good enough for 10 sec 1/4's, cruised around town at 14-15:1. Yes, then tune changes slightly with weather. But for a street strip toy I don't see a thing wrong with a carb! This leaves alot more in the slush fund for rear ends and transmissions.

Local aquantance at our track built this in his back yard. Went 10.20's @ 134 in a 3800lb full frame monte carlo through a cheapo home modded holley. Obviously nothing special... But it's a blast to drive!

On a side note it's been cleaned up alot and runs 8's now with a CSU Blow through carb. Pleanty of videos on youtube to back him up on that.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

There's guys running the same times with almost 1/4 the displacement with less turbo and don't have to fvck with the holley every rainy day :) . They spent the same cost as a holley and bolton manifold for injectors and eprom work. . . Just sayin' ;) . I see where you're coming from. But if it's a race car, what's more efficient?

You can't slap a holley on a 4 cylinder and expect the same gains. There's a reason for all dat dere fuel misting and fuel pressure.

Regardless, that sh!t looks great. I bet it IS truely an absolute blast to drive. Like my buddies 408 camaro, which is fuel injected. Speaking of which, I don't see to many of that crowd bowing back to the carb ;)

The main allure of the DSM is the AWD and the turbo engine. It would seem to me that it wouldn't make a great donor for a V8. I'd rather have a 240Z or a Datsun 510 or something really light and RWD. But that's me.

I have to agree. Turbo AWD is what sold me on my car. The other option was the LS1 240sx, which may happen...one day...hopefully.

There's guys running the same times with almost 1/4 the displacement with less turbo and don't have to fvck with the holley every rainy day :) . They spent the same cost as a holley and bolton manifold for injectors and eprom work. . . Just sayin' ;) . I see where you're coming from. But if it's a race car, what's more efficient?

Right, but I'd bet the SBC and holley are a 1/4 of the cost. :thumb:

You can't slap a holley on a 4 cylinder and expect the same gains. There's a reason for all dat dere fuel misting and fuel pressure.

Sure you can!

Carbs mist and pressurize with emulsion tubes and boost pressure! I think by the time you bought huge injectors and a stand alone ECM you'd still be money ahead with a carb...

I was working on a carb'd intake for a 2jz with my uncle. Things have been on hold since I was laid off at cessna. Nothing like a t70 on a $800 NA 2jzge with a carb and distributer on e-85 in a 2200lb rx-7... oh yea and a power glide with a ford 9" That should be enough to piss off everyone... :thumb:

Regardless, that sh!t looks great. I bet it IS truely an absolute blast to drive. Like my buddies 408 camaro, which is fuel injected. Speaking of which, I don't see to many of that crowd bowing back to the carb ;)

Eh, I'm old school I suppose. Either can be made fast.

Some more local blow through badasses...

Stop throwing everyone elses nutz around;). There are fuel injected 4 cylinders making more power than the above. And that still is not the point. LS1 motors come with fuel injection stock. What is the title of this thread.

You know a higher fuel pressure is better for misting. And you know an ecu is far more precise to get the exact fuel requirement there without test runs for the night and 'pulling plugs'.

Stop throwing everyone elses nutz around;). There are fuel injected 4 cylinders making more power than the above. And that still is not the point. LS1 motors come with fuel injection stock. What is the title of this thread.

You know a higher fuel pressure is better for misting. And you know an ecu is far more precise to get the exact fuel requirement there without test runs for the night and 'pulling plugs'.

I have to, my own nuts are fuel injected... :D

I suppose, although most of the LS1's at my track are sporting the carb conversion.

One more nut to swing on and I'm done...

Current fastest street car, in the world. I'm sure he could have run a fuel injection setup if he wanted... Money wasn't an object, yet they still choose a carb... Hmm. :hmm:

America'S Fastest Street Car - VelocidadMaxima.com

YOU, YOU know fuel injection is better all around. considering our manifold pressure levels. Plus everyone elses. . . Lots of money with a shaky platform means what ? . . . . . ???? he's got the most money?. . . Not that he's most efficient. Check out the f1 cars. They are about what's hte most you can get for the high dollar invested.

YOU, YOU know fuel injection is better all around. considering our manifold pressure levels. Plus everyone elses. . . Lots of money with a shaky platform means what ? . . . . . ???? he's got the most money?. . . Not that he's most efficient. Check out the f1 cars. They are about what's hte most you can get for the high dollar invested.

Yea but the fastest 1/4 cars in the world(top fuel) are carb cars and making 8000+hp. I mean the outlaw cars are running 6's with 3,000 pounds minimum, 10.5 Wide tires, mufflers, and stock-appearing bodies.

And id hate to say but you may match the hp but will never match the reliability of a big v8. I love dsm's but a bolt on ls1 will make 500hp and you can beat the dog piss out of it for 300k miles. Lets not turn this into a 4 vs 8 thread

Not to mention LS1 parts are cheaper.
SORRY JUST SAYING.:thumb:

My Idea might be worse... Im in the middle of putting a 3208 v8 Caterpillar Diesel in my Ranger

ForceFed is right!! Carbs are self metering so essentially as long as you have a large enough carb, and assuming you have the carb set up correctly (jets), you're pretty much set. Long live Blow Thru carb setups!!

Why would you waste your money putting a LS1 in a DSM/Evo? A 2.0L 4 cylinder engine could easily take a LS1 and I wouldn't call the 8 cylinder LS1 exactly light weight.

If you want 400 HP just go with a stock block with an hx35 or even a 16g.

Yea but the fastest 1/4 cars in the world(top fuel) are carb cars and making 8000+hp. I mean the outlaw cars are running 6's with 3,000 pounds minimum, 10.5 Wide tires, mufflers, and stock-appearing bodies.

And id hate to say but you may match the hp but will never match the reliability of a big v8. I love dsm's but a bolt on ls1 will make 500hp and you can beat the dog piss out of it for 300k miles. Lets not turn this into a 4 vs 8 thread

Reasonably, not top fuel race ONLY motors, fuel injection keeps the tune more consistant. That's where I'm getting at.

Yes spreading the power over twice as many rods/pistons helps alot in the reliability aspect. But then again, I've never blown a stock 6bolt block at 450-500whp as long as my maf was reading correctly (I cracked ringlands once at 300hp because the 1g maf dropped counts). But I've exploded a few transmissions. Stock ls1 blocks have been known to take a beating at 600whp all day long.

I just don't want to see the dsm shell turn into the datsun 240/60/80/z shell :( . . . Hell, I've even thought of putting a 4g6* in a 280.

I just don't want to see the dsm shell turn into the datsun 240/60/80/z shell :( . . . Hell, I've even thought of putting a 4g6* in a 280.

Yea i could think of alot of other cars id like to put a ls1 in before a dsm. Ls1 rx7 would be the sex :thumb:

Besides 4g's are more then capable of being street monsters, ls1 swap just doesnt seem very practical. Maybe if i had a shell and a ls1 laying around haha

Lots of V8 hate here it seems, which does make sense coming from dsm'ers. I won't stray away from the original question, seems like people have done it, but is it worth it? Most likely not. V8 swaps are sweet, in light cars, that may already be rwd. Taking away the turbo awd aspect of dsm doesn't seem like the way to go.

I don't see why there is so much hate on v8's. V8's are luring me away from dsm's actually. I like the idea of making pretty easy power, with a port and a cam, and tossing it into a light car. I actually plan to do a LS powered 240 this coming spring, and after the swap, start building an LQ motor to boost, and toss two hx40's on there, and then start to figure out how I will get traction ;) LOL.

Lots of V8 hate here it seems, which does make sense coming from dsm'ers. I won't stray away from the original question, seems like people have done it, but is it worth it? Most likely not. V8 swaps are sweet, in light cars, that may already be rwd. Taking away the turbo awd aspect of dsm doesn't seem like the way to go.

I don't see why there is so much hate on v8's. V8's are luring me away from dsm's actually. I like the idea of making pretty easy power, with a port and a cam, and tossing it into a light car. I actually plan to do a LS powered 240 this coming spring, and after the swap, start building an LQ motor to boost, and toss two hx40's on there, and then start to figure out how I will get traction ;) LOL.

I was thinking of V8in my Old 90 GSX it had a blown engine and it flooded in 14' of silt and salt water so everything was toast. In the end I did not have the cash for it so I had it scraped.

I don't think its hate as much as defending the DSM chassis. A small awd car is the last place I would put a v8 in. It is nice to have that low down power and you get the sound that a well balanced or flat plane v8 can make. I lost the chance to buy an rx7 with a 302 in it and I regret it every day. That's because it fits nicely in the chassis and does not mess up the weight distribution too much. A v8 is more at home to something like that. Now those people that put ls motors in 944s im not too sure about.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it would be cool to see a LSX/LQ9 in a Mighty Max/D50 pick up, but loosing the AWD aspect of a dsm is kinda pointless. The V8 swap in the S2000 and RX7 make sense as they are already RWD and now just gaining tons of torque.

Yea but the fastest 1/4 cars in the world(top fuel) are carb cars and making 8000+hp.

Mis-information alert! I'm surprised no one else caught this yet, Top Fuelers are FUEL INJECTED. Mechanical fuel injection, yes but there are no carburators on fuelers, or any of the blown alky classes either. :ohdamn::toobad:

Current fastest street car, in the world. I'm sure he could have run a fuel injection setup if he wanted... Money wasn't an object, yet they still choose a carb... Hmm. :hmm:

Oh ? Let's see it take a corner...

What? It can't ?

IT GOES FAST ONLY IN A STRAIGHT LINE?

Okay okay fine, turn on the AC, what do you mean it doesn't have AC?

What are these seats made off metal? Eh, that's what they are?

It's raining turn on the windsheild wipers....yo you don't have any?

Useless. :applause: You can take sheps car and add a plate on the back and coast down the highway= street car

My useless 2 cents :hmm:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back