The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Lowering seat floor

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowwhite

Proven Member
Oct 27, 2013
camden, South_Carolina
Over and over I keep reading the difficulty people have with fitting into there 2g with a cage due to seat mount design.

And then Ive seen it twice now that my local road race company that specializes in miata's - has lowered the floor so that there taller customers can fit into there cars.

I haven't been under my car in a long time nor is it at my house currently for me to look at it. But is there a reason we can't go this route?

AND if we can anyone have design ideas on how to accomplish this.

I'm 6' 4" and 270lbs. So this is a big concern of mine since a full cage is supposed to get started on my car real soon according to the shop it's at.

Here is panics photo of what they did to the miata

Attachments

• 28060929_10155428683086647_1317728569923393347_o.jpg
    28060929_10155428683086647_1317728569923393347_o.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
If you lower the floor you disrupt the natural tunnel underneath affecting aero. If you don't care about aero, go for it. This is from Andrew, not me. If you have to do it to fit, you have to do it though. try first removing the oem cross braces to which the stock seat mounts, those are fairly high and you can gain room by losing them. Of course you'll need some alternative reinforcement for the seats, and ideally tied into the cage somehow which will take some good planning.

I'd be nervous about bottoming out during an off-course excursion, potentially pushing your seat mount up and slamming your helmet into the top bars. Or maybe I'm just paranoid. :idontknow:

I gained extra headroom by chopping off the humps on the center rear seat mount points then lowering them flush with the rest of the bar and rewelding. After that I added a block on the outside front to bring it level with the inside front. That gave me a level area to mount new brackets and still be able to slide the seat. I am 6'4" and using Celica seats. If I had true racing buckets I'd get even more room. That said I am in a convertible and only run a four point roll bar so it doesn't have to go past my head. There is no way I could fit bars past my head and have the top still go up.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Nice data, what was the before and after clearance? What year Celica seats were. You using?

Here’s a few pictures of how I did mine. Moved down and closer to the center console to get away from the cage more. Just tilting the seat with the side nearest the door higher than the other is the fastest and easiest way to gain some clearance and actually doesn’t feel as unnatural as you would expect sitting at a slight angle.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back