Low Idle and car shuts off

Posted by gotmyeclipse, Jul 7, 2012
Newbie Forum - Beginner DSM modification questions and discussions. Common, repetitive, and general discussions will get dumped here from other tech forums. Unless you're a Probationary member you shouldn't post threads here.

1. gotmyeclipse

gotmyeclipse Proven Member

Hayward, California
    Hi there i have a bit of a problem, i have an A/T dsm and its acting like a M/t, sometimes when i go to a full stop, my car engine will idle really low and then shut off. thing is i have an A/T and i dont think thats suppose to happen, i had to pump gas for the engine to keep going or put in on neutral when im on a stop. Any body has experienced this before?

2. primo513

primo513 Proven Member

Cincinnati, Ohio
    I had a lot of idle issues with my 1g, when cruising I couldn't keep a constant speed because my idling was messed up. Lost story short, I was having an idle surge which was cause by a boost leak. My 1g would bounce around at a stopped idle going between ~600 to ~1200. I found a major boost leak and fixed some smaller ones and it fixed my idle issues. After that I was idling at a constant 1100 and it fixed my idle surges while driving. Have you ever had any issues with a boost leak? It might be something to look into anyways. hope this helps

3. johnovision27

johnovision27 Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Ayr, ON_Canada
    As stated, check for vacuum leaks. My gs did something similar.

4. gotmyeclipse

gotmyeclipse Proven Member

Hayward, California
    thanks!

any idea how much does it cost to get that fixed?

5. primo513

primo513 Proven Member

Cincinnati, Ohio
    Boost leaks aren't typically expensive, my big leak was from a gash in the pcv tube from the vc to the intake mani. Hoses are pretty cheap, like maybe a dollar per foot, I used fuel lines cause they are thicker and a lot More reliable, and that was like 2 dollars per foot or something like that. Most boost/vacuum leaks are gonna be from small tubing that either got punctured or clamp is going back. Have you ever done a blt? It's easy to find your leaks that way.

6. 96' Eclipse GS

96' Eclipse GS Proven Member

Nowhere, Asia
    Possibly a large air/vacuum leak.... Do you have any CEL's that you know of? If not, then double check. Any work done on the car recently? I would start there. A good way to find (air/vacuum leaks) is (cigarette smoke) or (dark-colored smoke), even if you do not smoke as I do not either.