The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Low Budget 90 GST Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davemilton

Probationary Member
Mar 18, 2012
Appleton, Wisconsin
Iiii

Attachments

• IMAG0274.jpg
    IMAG0274.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 131
  • IMAG0289.jpg
    IMAG0289.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 130
  • IMAG0331.jpg
    IMAG0331.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
I would have stuck with the stock 1g bov. It would hold better than that knockoff.

I wish I would have. It's pretty ghetto, the way I set it up. The hose going from the bov to the elbow of the intake manifold is kinked, as well as the recirculating hose, so it's not getting good air flow. Shopping for ic piping and an aftermarket intake pipe right now. If I can't find anything good, I'll probably put the stock bov and hoses back on.

Your timing is very high on that log picture and you were knocking quite a bit.

Do you not log wideband? Should be a quite simple modification to add logging capabilities.

I downloaded ecm link to my laptop about a month ago and logged this. I haven't done any tuning yet. The person I bought dsm link from tuned it for me like this a couple months ago. I've been trying to get a hold of him to have him retune, but he's been a flake, took some parts from me and didn't pay me, and changed his number. Which is why I'm trying to learn how to use it...

Last edited:
Thanks for the link! Watched those videos. Should help out a bit.

Here are some prnt scrn images of that guy's tune on my car from ecm link. After watching those videos I'll be able to handle a few things and probably try out some tuning this weekend.

Last edited:
I wasn't able to get the fmic piping I wanted at the right price so I spent my weekend on plan b. I found a supplier out of Missouri that can ship me 5-6 feet of 2.5" aluminum piping for about $40. I have a friend who goes to school at the tech who can make all the proper bends and flare the ends of the piping, and also any necessary welds. Below is a pic of the intercooler that I have for install that I bought for $40. Should have everything installed within a few weeks. Will post my progress as soon it's happening.

Attachments

• IMAG0370.jpg
    IMAG0370.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 110
It's been a bad day. My wife got into a car accident this morning on her way to work. The front end of the car is totalled. I'm ending this thread and will be starting a new one very soon. I have a 93 talon tsi shell that i'll be building up, putting my motor and all of my upgrades into. The talon has previously already been 4g63t 6 bolt swapped, but the dude who rebuilt that motor didn't know what he was doing.. it's been sitting all winter with no head, so needless to say, the motor would need a lot of work before it can be rebuilt. I already have the talon in a friend's garage and have to get started and finished on this over the weekend, since I now have no vehicle. fml

Attachments

• 1365659557515.jpg
    1365659557515.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 548
It's been a bad day. My wife got into a car accident this morning on her way to work. The front end of the car is totalled. I'm ending this thread and will be starting a new one very soon. I have a 93 talon tsi shell that i'll be building up, putting my motor and all of my upgrades into. The talon has previously already been 4g63t swapped, but the dude who rebuilt that motor didn't know what he was doing.. it's been sitting all winter with no head, so needless to say, the motor would need a lot of work before it can be rebuilt. I already have the talon in a friend's garage and have to get started and finished on this over the weekend, since I now have no vehicle. fml

well shit that ended fast. God damn. Hopefully you get it running in the other car again! That sucks. Personally, I don't trust anyone with my car haha.

I think if a man finds the right woman, he can trust her with everything... everything but his car...

ROFLROFL:applause:

Shit happens I guess. I'm guessing the other is also fwd? Either way, hope to see more updates soon and its awesome that you aren't giving up or anything :hellyeah:

ROFLROFL:applause:

Shit happens I guess. I'm guessing the other is also fwd? Either way, hope to see more updates soon and its awesome that you aren't giving up or anything :hellyeah:

the 93 that I have is awd. i initially bought it for my wife, along with a motor, planning to swap motors, but ... I'm saying it's mine now.

I already posted something in the newbie section but thought I might as well post something here as well. I plan on putting the motor that's in this car into a 93 talon tsi shell on Sunday. I also want to swap out the ecu, since I have dsm link v2. What do I need to know?

I've so far had the motor pulled of the talon. The clutch is all glazed over, so I'm waiting on my next paycheck to order a new clutch and a lightweight flywheel.

Attachments

• 4-CADBFD62-1044065-800.jpg
    4-CADBFD62-1044065-800.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 116
  • 4-BEBA631B-1219055-800.jpg
    4-BEBA631B-1219055-800.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 117
  • 4-C9C4073A-1401292-800.jpg
    4-C9C4073A-1401292-800.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 114
Why would u allow your wife in your 300 hp dsm.

Seems rather sexist. I'm sure there are female dsm tuners who run a lot more than that. In her defense, the accident happened during a snow storm. Half the power in the city of Appleton went out, and it just so happened to go out before she went through a stop light. Someone pulled out in front of her. It could have happened to anyone, regardless of their sex. It's not as if she was pulling the ebrake around corners because the snow storm made it a good day for that.

3 cans of brake clean and 3 wire brushes later.

Almost everything is put together. I have a few minor things, like the rest of the dash, hood, etc..

I swapped out the section of harness that goes from the ecu to the engine bay so that I could keep my 90 ecu. Finding a 93 ecu with link would have been easier and much less work, but I didn't do that.

Also, my floor jack, jack stands, impact wrench, angle grinder, ratchets, and all my wrenches were stolen the other day, from my friend's garage that I'm working in. Yeah. That was definitely an inconvenience. Didn't have any of those tools marked. So I just dumped a couple hundred dollars into some tools a few days ago.

I bought a new battery that I installed but when I tried turning it over.. nothing. There would be a constant ring when I had the key turned to accessory, which would diminish when I push in the clutch, but when I try to turn it over, no click or anything. I just got out of work but have all my tools, ecu, battery and whatnot in the trunk of my wife's car, and she's working late, so I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow morning to see if I can figure this out. Probably something really dumb like I'm not grounded at my bell housing or something.

Attachments

• IMAG0454.jpg
    IMAG0454.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 96
  • IMAG0487.jpg
    IMAG0487.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 100
I got it running but it definitely needs some tweaking. I'm able to connect to link via laptop and change all settings, so I know that my wiring harness swap worked. I posted a question asking whether or not this WOULD work, but after more than 80 views of my question and zero replies, I'm sort of questioning the intelligence of the members themselves. I am idle surging, which is an easy fix. I have Sunday off, so I should be able to fix all my minor problems then. I apologize for not posting more photos and elaborating on them, but..correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think that because I'm a "noob," I'm limited in how I can share my build with you. I probably should also apologize for not "contributing" to the noob section, because my inability to share my build information with you is obviously my fault. Like a federally funded school, this site knows how to weed out incompetence. Just to elaborate on this, I've seen plenty of newer "proven members" say something like, "nice build," or, "looking very nice," as if this sort of continuous contribution of dialogue is sufficient in the transformation to a "proven member."

I posted a question asking whether or not this WOULD work, but after more than 80 views of my question and zero replies, I'm sort of questioning the intelligence of the members themselves.

People who know the answer aren't going to waste their time supplying it when a simple search on your part would yield the same results.

You may question the intelligence of others, but they in turn simply see you as lazy and unwilling to make an effort. Someone who expects to be spoon fed.

You'll find that on virtually every DSM forum, those that demonstrate the ability to help themselves are the only ones who garner any respect from the other forum members.

You should be grateful that this forum is more tolerant than some others where this post would have gotten you banned permanently.

Hal

I swapped out the section of harness that goes from the ecu to the engine bay so that I could keep my 90 ecu. Finding a 93 ecu with link would have been easier and much less work, but I didn't do that.
Sounds like a hack job that another person is going to have to deal with later on down the road. Probably a source of some of your problems too.

I'm sort of questioning the intelligence of the members themselves.
Great attitude to receive the help you are requesting from people:rolleyes:
I agree with Hal, search for a few minutes and quit whining about proven members.
Also: "Got it running but needs some tweaking" As in how? Care to post a log or some more information...?

Here's a link for your idle issue:
Terry's Talon Troubleshooting Tips #3 - Fast Idle (aka. Idle Surge)

Sounds like a hack job that another person is going to have to deal with later on down the road. Probably a source of some of your problems too.

Yeah, and more work than simply swapping two wires (something a quick search would have uncovered).

Hal

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back