The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

LOUD squeak when turning steering wheel (Video Inside)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RicciDSM

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 21, 2010
Phila, Pennsylvania
Not sure which section I should have posted this in so mods feel free to move if in wrong section.

Ok so the car is 97 Talon TSi, FWD, Auto. This started as SOON as it got cold out a few months back. The car has been sitting due to a blown trans but I finally got it back and forgot about this squeal. Its driving me crazy :banghead:

Heres a video:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

When turning the steering wheel whether its sitting still or moving it makes the loudest squeaking noise. It also makes noise when going over bumps. Im not sure what it could be, I havent had a chance to check it out. This is my daily driver so I dont want to lose control of the car or anything crazy if this is a serious problem.

Any help on what this could be or what to look for would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

check the power steering belts. usually, if it is loose, i'll make squeaking sound....

dude, mine was doing the exact same thing last weekend. simply checked my power steering fluid and it was really low. put some in until the dipstick read at max, turned it on and let it idle for about 2 minutes. and the sqeecking went away. simple as that :thumb:

I thought it was power steering also! Checked the level and it was also very low. So I read around in the manual and on here and apparently it calls for Dexron III ATF so I filled the Power Steering up and the sound didnt go away. It weird though because I figured it was power steering related but it makes creaking noises when getting in/out of the car or if I push down on the front drivers side (which is where the noise is) and going over bumps. Thats what leads me to lead that its something suspension wise (balljoint, strut, idk...)

check your rack, could be leaking.. thats pretty violent sounding..

thats what my ball joint sounded like about 10 minuted before it broke while i was driving down the road.
i wouldn't drive it until you get it figured out you will thanks yourself if you do.

Hey there. Did you get this figured out? I think I'm having the same problem. It sounds exactly the same. Moving the steering wheel left and right makes the same sound and if I push down on the front drivers or passenger side I can hear a squeak too. Car's been sitting for the last 6 months of winter. Power steering fluid looks fine.

Mine is in the shop right now for this. Took it to the shop mainly for inner and outer tie rod ends for both passenger and driver side. Just so happen the mechanic called me up and said that when he removed one of the boots, steering fluid came puring out and that I needed to get a new rack and pinion. If the rack and pinion is the case, try to get aftermarket. The mechanic told me that Mitsubishi wanted $1,400 for a rack and pinion and $330 for aftermarket. I went with aftermarket.

If it is not the rack and pinion, check your CV Joints, Power Steering Fluid Level, and Power Steering Belts.

mine does that in the back when im turning but I just got new struts shocks and springs on the whole car and it didnt help. sorry for asking in this thread but its just that im a noob still and not able to make my own posts:( If anybody could help me that would be awesome.

It mostly does it over bumps and sometimes when im turning and when i press down on the car.

That sounds like the lower ball joint to me. I've always said if you hear that sound, don't drive it until its fixed. It makes a mess when it breaks.

I jacked up my car and turned the rear wheels and it ended up not being the brakes clamped down and the sway bar wasnt loose,also I didnt hear the wheel bearings make any noise. I might look into the lower ball joints.

anybody else thinks thats my problem too?:confused:

I just remembered that someone hit me in my right rear tire and it got kind of tilted in but the insurance supposibly fixed it; and I guess that might be the reason why one of my lower ball joints decided to give out because from the accident one of my strut and shocks got broken so im pretty sure other suspension parts got messed up to like the ball joint.

Would I need to replace just the lower ball joint or the whole lower control arm?
Any opinions and information would be highly appreciated.

That's is most definitely your ball joint. I would guess it's the upper ball joint. I have had to replace 3 of them. The repair is pretty straightforward, but getting the old ball joint out of the control arm is a pain in the ass. Should be a $30 fix. And also, if one side goes out, the other side is on it's way as well, so you might as well make a day out of it and replace them both.

My upper control arm boot is torn and mine makes a sound similar to that...I need to replace it ASAP.

i bet your rack and pinion is going bad from the low power steering fluid! i would get that rack checked out and now man! if it locks up when you are driving down the road you could have a serious ACCIDENT! but if not its second most likely to be the rubber at the top of your struts blown out and its stuck in the spring when you turn the wheel or hit a bumps its rubbing inbetween your spring and the body of the car.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back