lots of play in my steering...why

Posted by wcpierson, Oct 3, 2006
Newbie Forum - Beginner DSM modification questions and discussions. Common, repetitive, and general discussions will get dumped here from other tech forums. Unless you're a Probationary member you shouldn't post threads here.

1. wcpierson

wcpierson Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Cedar Knolls, New_Jersey
    lately ive had a lot of play in my steering wheel and my car seems to always go a little left...i know it could be the alignment but i think its a little more serious than that...what could it be? I have a 1g fwd by the way if that makes any differenct

2. Mikael

Mikael Proven Member

O-town, Florida
    Most likely a tie rod end.

Put the front end in the air and have a friend hold the wheel solid (if you have no friends, just lock the steering). Grab each hub(wheel off) and see if it'll steer back and forth a little. You should be able to see if its the inner or outer joints. Replace them and go get it aligned. If you plan on hanging on to the car, this is a good chance to check the other ball joints, and replace any or grease them as needed. Keep in mind the pulling one way or the other could also be air pressure. Make sure to check that.

Autozone usually has the cheapest ones.

It could be the steering rack, but not likely. Check the above first.

3. wcpierson

wcpierson Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Cedar Knolls, New_Jersey
    thankyou...you were very helpful i appreciate it :thumb: