The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Looking to get a dsm

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellbent234

Probationary Member
Aug 26, 2013
milwaukee, Wisconsin
OK my name is Eddie I am looking to get a dsm its a 95 Eclipse GST I have never had to check 1 i know what to look for when i buy a car that is non turbo could use help or pointers i am located in Milwaukee please pm me or leave info here what to look for

just be sure to ask him plenty of questions like any other car and make sure there is nothing wrong the turbo and that he hasn't ran it to death

Check it over, ask about maintenance, last timing belt job, what oil is being used and how often its changed. Check compression, check for shaft play in turbo, check for possible smoke out the exhaust, find out the mods list, shake down front end, test drive listen for nosies and how the car feels/handles. Make sure it builds boost and if it is modded with upgraded turbo check for brand and supporting mods for it. Just don't be all over excited to buy it after a test drive and you feel alittle boost!! You can always ask to take it to a shop and have a good me mechanic look it over, if you think your not up to it, also not a bad idea to get a look under the car.

I went over the car he told what was wrong I noticed it right away soft suspension needs ball joints, tie rods said it needs control arms in the front all the normal things I look for. There wasn't any smoke motor oil wasn't sweet LOL tastes like motor oil turbo spools fine but how do you feel for shaft play. I do know the guy we cruise together I pretty much got done rebuilding a integra I have an he wants to trade. I told him all issues need to be fixed said fine an cash on his end. I noticed two small holes in the front strut top mounts were nearly as bad as some I have seen in Wisconsin.

I tried searching the site to figure out shaft play can someone help me

Checking for shaft play is pretty easy. it is basically checking to see if there is any movement when you try to move the turbo's blade/fin inside the turbo. Just take off the turbo intake pipe is with the maf. Then just touch reach inside the turbo and try moving the turbo's blade/fins in and out, And up and down. Ideally, there shouldn't be any shaft play or very little movement when checking for shaft play.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back