The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Looking to buy a project

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbski

Probationary Member
Nov 17, 2015
jenks, Oklahoma
It's been a while since I've had a DSM so I am looking to get one for a project, not a basket case. I've had a 92, 96 and 98 TSI over the years but it's been about 12 since I've owned a DSM. So I am looking for advice on what to look for when buying a car. I plan on staying with a 92-94 or 97-98 either Eagle or Mitsubishi I don't care.

I've found this one and plan on looking at it later this week. I see lots of obvious exterior issues, paint, wipers, antenna etc... This one may be too much work for me I don't know yet. :)

https://tulsa.craigslist.org/cto/5312302038.html

So are there any rust place I need to look out for?
Any noises I know to look out for on start-up besides obvious motor knock?
Rubber door seals for dry rot.

These are just a few I could think of but any help will be appreciated. I am looking for a project but at this point I am willing to look at anything if the price is right for me.

That looks like good find and stock. Obviously it will need every bit and piece of maintenance done to it so expect that. The price is a little high I would say. It doesn't look like it's been driven in awhile. That car would need some pockets for all the maintenance required.

major rust spot issues are strut towers under the hood. under the car also but strut towers rust out like chevys get recalled. but not as frequent. lifter tick is very common so it's a noise you may hear if they haven't upgraded to the 3g lifters. feel the turbo shaft. check for any play. look at oil to. dirty oil shows it's had a lack of maintenance.

Thanks for the reply. I think the price is also high I'm thinking half the asking price. So on maintenance I'm thinking brakes and maybe lines, all fluids, plugs and wires, filters. Anything mechanical that would be considered maintenance like fuel pump or something turbo related?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back