The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Looking to break 400whp on my gst

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norbertcpu

Probationary Member
Oct 15, 2012
des plaines, Illinois
I need somw feedback and opinions whether or not 400whp is doable and safe on my stock 7bolt.
I have a 99 gst with 70k miles and looking to achieve 400whp with this setup:
Stock 7 bolt block
Fp2 cams
Arp head studs
Full turboback exhaust
Ported evo 3 manifold
O2 dump
Evo 3 16g turbo
Injen intake
Walbro 255
Fic 1450 inectors
Dejon stock route uicp
Greddy 24v intercooler
Car will be tuned with ecm link v3 on speed density and e85

I know there arw better intercoolers out there the greddy came on the car. Will the greddy be able to withstand that kind of power??

It's all in the tune. But I would recommend another turbo if you're trying to break the 400whp+ mark. If you don't mind coming a little short go with evo 16g. But it's doable. GL

It's all in the tune. But I would recommend another turbo if you're trying to break the 400whp+ mark. If you don't mind coming a little short go with evo 16g. But it's doable. GL

This is true. A 20g or a holset hx35 would be better for your power goals.on e85 you should be able to do it. But I didn't see anything about your clutch you need an aftermarket clutch for anything above stock power levels to avoid slipping. I'm personally a fan of spec.

Is there a way to tell if the car has a lsd without pullinf the trans?? I got the car off an auction and just driving it feels like there may be some sort of built trans and lsd...car pulls nice and hard with barely any wheel spin and seems to put ths power down to the pavement. As far as the trans goes it doesnt shift like any other 2g ive driven..

There is a clutch in the car just unsurw of what kind...the car is originally from ohio so im hoping there may be a shep trans in the car

Last edited:
Is there a way to tell if the car has a lsd without pullinf the trans?? I got the car off an auction and just driving it feels like there may be some sort of built trans and lsd...car pulls nice and hard with barely any wheel spin and seems to put ths power down to the pavement. As far as the trans goes it doesnt shift like any other 2g ive driven..

There is a clutch in the car just unsure of what kind like i said below it feels like theres a built trans and lsd in the car..

Put both tires off the ground and spin one. If the other moves in the same direction it is an LSD. If it rotates the opposite way, it is an open differential.

Put both tires off the ground and spin one. If the other moves in the same direction it is an LSD. If it rotates the opposite way, it is an open differential.

Awesome thanks for the info!!

Doing the spin test isn't the best way, as a helical diff may not pass that test. A Quaife is a helical diff, so you could have one and not know it.

Pulling an axle is the best way.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Thanks man!! Im gonna try pullimg the axle this weekend

You have a lot of good mods to make power, but remember its a gst. You need to be alittle more concerned with how that power is going to make it to the ground. I would ad to the list suspension, full poly bushing kit, solid or prothane motor mounts, a good clutch, really sticky tires or slicks if you plan on hitting the track. Although its possible to do ok on the open diff, you will have better luck and more fun getting a lSD it you find out you don't have one.

You have a lot of good mods to make power, but remember its a gst. You need to be alittle more concerned with how that power is going to make it to the ground. I would ad to the list suspension, full poly bushing kit, solid or prothane motor mounts, a good clutch, really sticky tires or slicks if you plan on hitting the track. Although its possible to do ok on the open diff, you will have better luck and more fun getting a lSD it you find out you don't have one.

I neglected to mention a few parts but i do have a full suspension and im looking at getting a nice set of drag radials and def lookong to replace all the bushings to stiffen up the suspension
. Im looking to making this a fun street car and occasionally taking the car to the track

It may be doable (will also depend on what type of dyno you want 400whp from) but you will be pushing the limits of the evoIII16g to do so. The Greddy IC should be alright as far as taking the abuse but there are better options that will both cool & flow better (& in turn increase your power), so it may hurt your power abit.

When I was fwd I made my posted dyno numbers (dynojet) with a similiar setup, running 24psi but on a FP3052 (or Garrett 3076, aka 30R). Believe flow numbers were right around 45lb/min, typically the evoIII maxes out around the 42-44lb/min range. I was running FP1X cams, so larger powerband but probably not as good peak power as what you'll have with the FP2's. But I was running an evoIII intake mani.

On a side note, 400+whp isn't that much fun in a fwd (even with a real LSD).

And as far as my intercooler set up will it be able to support that power?

I don't see why not. An efficient core isn't nearly as important when tuning with E85. Colder is still better, but not vital. The core could become a considerable restriction, but it's hard to say how much. If you could find a flow rating (not Greddy's 550hp claim) that would give you an idea.

But like V12 and Daren said, the turbo will be running pretty hard. If your set on using the 16g then I would consider detuning the car for daily driving.

I don't see why not. An efficient core isn't nearly as important when tuning with E85. Colder is still better, but not vital. The core could become a considerable restriction, but it's hard to say how much. If you could find a flow rating (not Greddy's 550hp claim) that would give you an idea.

But like V12 and Daren said, the turbo will be running pretty hard. If your set on using the 16g then I would consider detuning the car for daily driving.

I was planning on getting a 2 map tune and for now ill be using the 16g. Im planning upgrading to a hx35 or hx40 in the future.

I have pretty much your exact mod list and am shooting for a solid 350. Should be plenty for a FWD and still keep the 16g in the green as far as not over working and shortening the life of it.

Still, even pushing a few more psi through it than I plan to, I think the 16g wont get you much higher than the goal Ive laid out for my build... like others have said already

I made 321whp on my FWD 14b with stock 1G head/cams/intake mani on E85. There's absolutely no reason you can't break 400whp on an EVO 16g with E85. As for your intercooler, a local made around 600whp with it on an HX40, it should be fine for your goals.

I made 321whp on my FWD 14b with stock 1G head/cams/intake mani on E85. There's absolutely no reason you can't break 400whp on an EVO 16g with E85. As for your intercooler, a local made around 600whp with it on an HX40, it should be fine for your goals.

Nice numbers!! And thanks for the info

It will all be in the tune, and using E85 as the fuel will make it easier/possible to hit 400whp with your hardware, although most seem to average around 350-380whp with a evo 3 16g on e85 with supporting mods. Being FWD, traction will be your main concern well before 400whp.

Back in the day I made 407whp in my 95awd and also had a Greddy FMIC with mods below

FP Green
Tial 40mm EWG
Stock 7 bolt & stock head.
ARP studs
660 injectors
255 walbro
Apexi Super AFC
full 3"
Tuned at 25psi on 116

Cam were going to be next but I sold the car. You'll need to upgrade the clutch if you haven't done so already.

Good luck on your quest to 400's

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back