The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Long crank and bouncy idle

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1GB-RS

Probationary Member
Mar 5, 2017
Utica, New_York
Hey all, I'm having a weird issue. When I start it up for the first time of the day, it'll start up in 1 second and idle will be fine. But then when I start it up again after driving it and the car is still warm, it'll crank for about 3 seconds or so and idle as if it wants to stall. I hit the gas a few times and then it'll set but then it'll bounce from about 500-1k rpms.

Just a little rich. Gap is fine. This issue only happens when the car warms up.

+1 on coolent temp sensor.
Does it go away after you drive it again?

One thing you can check is your fpr solenoid located next to your egr solenoid might be a leak in the vaccume line somewhere

It bumps up fuel pressure on hot starts

+1 on Hot start fuel enrichment problem . A dying fuel pump , worn rings and or valves, vapor lock, faulty crank angle sensor, and timing are a few other things that can contribute to a hot start issue. Are there any other symptoms or issues to go along with the extended hot crank? Are you running ecmlink if so there is an adjustment for hot start enrichment.

There is also a "keystart" signal when you are cranking only. My car is having a problem with hot starts and I am NOT getting a "keystart" signal to the ECU. Check yours/log yours to be sure you are getting it if you have link. The value will be "1" when it is seeing it, only during cranking, then it will be "0". Mine is "0" all the time, it makes it hard to start hot.
MacgyversDSM makes a good point that there are hot start adjustments that could be giving you the problem since it does start but doesn't like to idle for a bit. That is a link adjustment tho.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back