The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Loctite 243

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarrenSen

Probationary Member
May 30, 2018
York, Europe
Hi fella's, I have read a few threads on here discussing 3M 4170 thread locker and it hasn't enlightened me at all. I looked at the loctite product list and plan to use 243 as it's medium grip and resilient to oil. This is the auto gearbox I'm rebuilding.

I read the post about using Red loctite and noticed that it's not advisory in aluminium, etc so am I good to go with the 243?

Loctite 242 or 243 will work fine on clean threads. You really will only be using loctite on the 5x tapered head TORX machine screws for the planetary retainer plate (which if you are using new ones they will have loctite already on them -- MD734702 x5), and then the center differential cover bolts, and the front differential ring gear bolts. Everything else really does not need loctite, you just follow the torque specifications.

On the port plugs in the bellhousing area, you can use Loctite 290 wicking thread locker (just 1 drop per plug).

The rest of the port plugs and bolts are o-ring sealed.

The factory service manual has all the torque specs. Here is a link to it - https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/1...c-transmission-factory-service-manual.517361/

Loctite 242 or 243 will work fine on clean threads. You really will only be using loctite on the 5x tapered head TORX machine screws for the planetary retainer plate (which if you are using new ones they will have loctite already on them -- MD734702 x5), and then the center differential cover bolts, and the front differential ring gear bolts. Everything else really does not need loctite, you just follow the torque specifications.

On the port plugs in the bellhousing area, you can use Loctite 290 wicking thread locker (just 1 drop per plug).

The rest of the port plugs and bolts are o-ring sealed.

The factory service manual has all the torque specs. Here is a link to it - https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/1...c-transmission-factory-service-manual.517361/
Cheers mate, I'll be in touch soon with a parts list, i got a refurb planet but the races don't match my original. Its late here, ill email you tomorrow if i get time

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back