The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

"Linking Error" OBDII Comm failure

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocafellafw

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 24, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I have been having so much trouble with this car so I finally went out and bought a nice OBD II Scanner. Relief came when the scanner arrived but it did not last long. I booted it up correct and as it tried to connected I get "Linking Error". The scanner cannot communicate with the plug. Is this because I have a 6-bolt swap ??? The OBD II port looks like its wired correct ( http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/2514/sany0161.jpg ) but should I be trying to connect to this port ? If so theres only 1 pin :confused: ! http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/2640/sany0163.jpg
http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/416/sany0162.jpg
http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/6849/sany0159.jpg
http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/8791/sany0160.jpg

I don't know what to do now ? Help please.:pray:

Did you turn your key to the "on" but not started position?

Did you turn your key to the "on" but not started position?

Yes. I tried the scanner on my dads Sephia and it works perfect, I'm so mad because of how horrible the previous owner was, how bad of a job he did with the 6-bolt swap and how ghetto everything is rigged. Any other suggestions ?!?:confused:

honestly non that I can think of right this second. I do work at autozone so tomorrow when I go in Ill ask some of the guys in there. I know one of them drives a dsm

I know on my 95 EPROM ECU my Genisys scanner/datalogger will only read it if I tell it the car is a 96. The car has no major mods.. I could figure out why It wouldnt read> I was about to give up and I tried telling the scanner my car was a 96 and it worked. It kept saying communications error unable to communicate with vehicle check power and grounds etc.

Try messing with whatever year it asks for this might help

-Kolby

With OBDII scanners, they dont ask for a year, they are just plug and play

I know on my 95 EPROM ECU my Genisys scanner/datalogger will only read it if I tell it the car is a 96. The car has no major mods.. I could figure out why It wouldnt read> I was about to give up and I tried telling the scanner my car was a 96 and it worked. It kept saying communications error unable to communicate with vehicle check power and grounds etc.

Try messing with whatever year it asks for this might help

-Kolby

Thanks for the response but I don't think I can do that. The Steps for it go:

1.Turn on scanner
2.Plug in to port
3.Turn ignition on
4.Hit Enter, then allow scanner to connect and find protocol (Where I get the error because it finds no protocol ??)
5.Then select car manufacturer
You do not have to select year or model just manufacturer.

Do you think this has to do with the 6-bolt swap ?

Okay you have a code reader not a scanner or scan tool. Scanners read live date while the cars are running.And yes you do have to input specific year make and model on them. If your using the type to pull codes and not getting communication try checking power etc... If you are in the 2g check for voltage on pin 16 and check ground on pins 4 and 5. They are numbered really small. You might have to unclip the OBDII connector from the metal bracket it snaps into in order to get room to read the numbers.

If you have power and grounds then it might have something to do with the 6bolt swap. Do you know if the ECU was swapped? My OBDII code reader wont read my EPROM ECU in my 95 for some reason but the scantool will if I tell it the car is a 96 (weird)

-Kolby

EDIT I just looked at your pics. The fourth link. Sany0159.jpg The pic cuts out half the connector but its the black connector held by the metal bracket on the far right of the pic! :) Thats the one you plug in your scanner to

Okay you have a code reader not a scanner or scan tool. Scanners read live date while the cars are running.And yes you do have to input specific year make and model on them. If your using the type to pull codes and not getting communication try checking power etc... If you are in the 2g check for voltage on pin 16 and check ground on pins 4 and 5. They are numbered really small. You might have to unclip the OBDII connector from the metal bracket it snaps into in order to get room to read the numbers.

If you have power and grounds then it might have something to do with the 6bolt swap. Do you know if the ECU was swapped? My OBDII code reader wont read my EPROM ECU in my 95 for some reason but the scantool will if I tell it the car is a 96 (weird)

-Kolby

EDIT I just looked at your pics. The fourth link. Sany0159.jpg The pic cuts out half the connector but its the black connector held by the metal bracket on the far right of the pic! :) Thats the one you plug in your scanner to

+1 I didnt even think to tell him to check the power. A decent volt meter doesnt run much either.

stick paper clip in the connector it helps when checking the ground. Also you should probaly unclip the connector to get anough length so you can pull it out to work with it.
I think he was plugging it into the wrong connector. Hopefully he read my post about which pic the correct diagnostic port was in

I was plugging it into the black port, I was just asking if the white one was what I should be using since the previous owner did a 6-bolt swap. I do not know if he swapped ECU's either. I did not have time to check the power n ground I ran out of daylight. Now what is the process for checking if the port is wired correctly ? Thanks for all the responses guys.

Its hard to say. Start by checking power on pin#16 and grounds on pin#4&5

If he just did a 6bolt swap he should have messed with the cockpit wiring. To my knowledge the only wiring issues are at the CAM and CAS under the hood. If he however swapped ECU's maybe EPROM 95 (my code reader wont read on my car!)this could be a problem but dont hold me to it.

Let me reiterate check power and grounds before you start thinking wiring issues due to swap. Ill go search this and see what I come up with

-Kolby

**EDIT if you have power and ground and its still not working my only acceptable solution would be you have a rare 95EPROM ECU. Mty talon has one and my code reader wont read it, but my scantool will. If you have exhausted the above try pulling the ECU and posting a PIC. Im not sure if the fact that my code reader wouldnt read was directly related to the fact that my car is EPROM and supposedly pre OBDII (according to Autozone and Oreillys) according to them its anything pre96 is OBDI but this could be the problem. Just some food for thought. Maybe one of the wisemen can lend a bit of advice??

I was plugging it into the black port, I was just asking if the white one was what I should be using since the previous owner did a 6-bolt swap. I do not know if he swapped ECU's either. I did not have time to check the power n ground I ran out of daylight. Now what is the process for checking if the port is wired correctly ? Thanks for all the responses guys.

I dont think theres any reason to rewire the diagnostic port. Its just there for communication purposes. (In other words I dont even think the idiot who put that motor in would have messed with it LOL)

-Kolby

Hmm thanks man I'm going to check the pwr & ground tomorrow. I would actually be happy if it turned out I have a eprom LOL. I don't know much about 6-bolt swaps and I always assumed the ecu and harnesses needed to be swapped out in order to complete the swap, so let's pray a power wire is loose. :pray:

Hmm thanks man I'm going to check the pwr & ground tomorrow. I would actually be happy if it turned out I have a eprom LOL. I don't know much about 6-bolt swaps and I always assumed the ecu and harnesses needed to be swapped out in order to complete the swap, so let's pray a power wire is loose. :pray:

No the ECU used has to be 2g. The 1g ECUs have different connectors etc. And none of the cockpit accessories would work. They only thing that is rewired to my knowledge is the CAS under the hood and actually magnus motorsports makes a jumper harness that is PnP

Think inside the box of power ground or 95 ecu.
The 95 ECU issue is a hypothesis based off of my expierience with my EPROM :)

-Kolby

Update:
Did a voltage test, came up perfect ground at 4+5 and power at 16. Any other suggestions ? I'm almost 80% sure it's not a eprom, so why do I get a link error ?

Which brand of scanner are you using? Take a pic and post up. My code reader cant rembmer the name. Bought it from Autozone 189.99 wont read my car. It reads 99% of everything else I hook it upto LOL... And my Genysis scantool will only read when manipulating the year. I cant give you a good answer to this. Its got to be a software issue. If your getting power and ground then its having issues communicating with the ECU.

Try going to autozone or Oreillys and see if their scanners work. I know that my code reader gives different codes sometimes than Oreillys/autozones on the same car... WEIRD

Kolby

Which brand of scanner are you using? Take a pic and post up. My code reader cant rembmer the name. Bought it from Autozone 189.99 wont read my car. It reads 99% of everything else I hook it upto LOL... And my Genysis scantool will only read when manipulating the year. I cant give you a good answer to this. Its got to be a software issue. If your getting power and ground then its having issues communicating with the ECU.

Try going to autozone or Oreillys and see if their scanners work. I know that my code reader gives different codes sometimes than Oreillys/autozones on the same car... WEIRD

Kolby

Heres the OBD II tool I bought:
eBay Motors: OBD 2 CAN AUTO LIVE TROUBLE CODE READER SCANNER OBD II (item 200333240770 end time Apr-28-09 19:16:46 PDT)

Like I said works perfect on my dads car but who knows maybe there's a compatibility issue with DSM's ? Sucks you know, you think your doing yourself a favor by buying something like this and end up wasting $100.

My car did the same thing at the mechanic's shop. But when I brought it to autozone and checked it everything worked perfect the first time. No one knows why. Possibly a loose wire or connector issue.

You can also join pin1 to ground (pins 4 or 5) to make the computer flash the error codes.
I believe Autozone keeps a book that will help you reference flashes into trouble codes.

Im not sure if youve worked on any older chevrolets but you did something similar to this and the CEL would flash and you count the number of times then there would be a pause and a second series. example 4 flashes PAUSE 3 flashes was 43 so on and so forth.

Kolby

Edit** Unless somebodys switched ECUs according to the ebay add this device supports protocol ISO9141-2 which correct me if im wrong is what our cars use?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back