1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Trouble Logging In or Staying Logged In?

CLEAR YOUR BROWSER COOKIES! More info about this can be found here. If you still have trouble after clearing your browser's cookies and cache, reply to that thread and tell us what browser you're using and what device you're using.
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Street Build Like Father like...Daughter. Her Project Car my Money.

Year:
Model/Trim:
Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
  1. Clermas

Clermas Probationary Member

Joined Oct 22, 2018
    Henderson, Nevada
    My DSM:
    1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

Street Build

14b   manual

Featured Products from our Supporting Vendors

2. Clermas

Joined Oct 22, 2018
    Henderson, Nevada
    Hey everyone. Here is to the beginning of something great.

Picked up a red 1995 GSX as a project car for my Daughter and I. We have 3 years until she gets her license so that is the timeline for this build. We have big plans and little knowledge of DSM and turbo mechanics. I have worked on cars off and on my whole life and understand the value of learning the skills involved in this endeavor. I am using this project to teach my children valuable life lessons all while showing them what a little hard work, some frustration and a lot of satisfaction feels like.

I have already met quite a few members who helped me in the newbie section and I have to say I am impressed with the community so far, everyone seems to be living up to the little message listed right below the posting box.

I hope to get a lot of ideas and insights from the community, help with problems, pointers and constructive criticism.

Its been 15 years since I turned wrenches on cars, I am rusty but a quick learner. So without further to do, here is the current condition of the vehicle to my knowledge as it was sold to me;

• Apexi intake
    • Injen intake pipe C.A.R.B
    • 14B turbo
    • Greddy front mount intercooler
    • Greddy FV blow off valve
    • Greddy intercooler piping
    • Evo3 turbo manifold
    • Evo9 Enkei wheels 245/45/17 new tires
    • Megan Drop springs
    • Konig shocks
    • Greddy weighted shift knob
    • B&M shifter
    • Greddy catback /aftermarket muffler
    • ACT clutch
    • Fidanza flywheel
    • 102k Miles

Currently Known Mechanical Issues:

• Gas level gauge no accurate (ordered new unit)
    • Oil pressure gauge reading zero (had aftermarket column cluster wires still present, but ordered new unit just in case)
    • Leaky Clutch Master Cylinder (ordered)
    • Sometimes easy, sometimes hard to get into First (possibly the leaky master?)
    • Exhaust leaks (probably more then one, after sitting for awhile in the garage after a drive, garage becomes smokey)
    • Missing Heat Shields
    • Missing Fuse Block Cover
    • Anti-Lock Brake Light on
    • A/C not working (heater core looks to have leaked but been replaced)
    • Has a push button for starter and turnkey for ignition (probably delete that at some point back to stock)

Currently Planned Repairs:

• Repair gas level gauge
    • Repair stock oil pressure gauge
    • Replace clutch master
    • Figure out why 1st gear is tough intermittently
    • Find and repair all exhaust leaks
    • Replace heat shield
    • Replace missing fuse block cover
    • Figure out ABS issue
    • Work on the A/C issue

Currently Planned Mods:

• PowerStop Front and Rear Caliper, Rotor and Pad Upgrade (Parts already in)
    • Column Cluster
    • Radio Upgrade
    • Turbo and Exhaust Manifold Upgrade
    • This Density thing and learning to tune :)
    • I am sure a lot more will come into play

I do not plan on worry about cosmetics until towards the end of the build. I look forward to everyone's suggestions, thoughts and input.

Thanks for reading.

My DSM:

Street Build

14b   manual
    1990TSIAWDTALON likes this.
  3. pauleyman

pauleyman DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 19, 2011
    oklahoma city, Oklahoma
    As you have the benefit of time I would suggest a lot of reading. Unless you have an immediate need. I've been doing this 25 years plus. So many things are well documented. Some good reads are the vfaq pages and the 1000aaq pages if they're still out there. Some info is aging and may not be quite as accurate for today's world but it's mostly still good. Bang for buck dsm is very high. Also very very unforgiving when poorly maintained.

My DSM:
    1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

T25   manual
  4. DogWhistle

DogWhistle Proven Member

Joined Sep 13, 2012
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Welcome to this forum! I like how you are taking the car project, and teaching so much more about life’s challenges. As a father and son team, we’ve learned and grown in knowledge and patience, and share an unbreakable bond.

We agree, that although the temptation is there to wrench in the mods, read a lot first. It may change your mind on what you want to do for mods.

The only thought, reading through your planned mods list, is the Speed Density tuning. Read up on ECMLink first. It is probably easier to use for beginning tuners.

Best of luck with the project. Post lots of pictures to help inspire all of us, as well.

My DSM:

automatic

manual
    1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

385 whp   378 lb/ft
    1995 Eagle Talon N/T (sold)

manual
  5. Clermas

Joined Oct 22, 2018
    Henderson, Nevada
    I have already found the post that had the OEM manuals. Downloaded them to my tablet and have been reading through them bookmarking sections. I will dig though the forums as I can and try not to be a total newbie.

My DSM:

Street Build

14b   manual
  6. Clermas

Joined Oct 22, 2018
    Henderson, Nevada
    ECMLink, got it I will head up on it.

My DSM:

Street Build

14b   manual
  7. asexton6969

asexton6969 Proven Member

Joined Nov 8, 2002
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Awesome, I begged my dad to purchase my first DSM and it was our bonding experience together. I hope you and your daughter get to enjoy this as much as I enjoyed spending time with my dad on my DSM. Like stated earlier, do a lot of reading. There have been so many different setups tried and used over the years. You will quickly find yourself changing your mind on what you will want to do. Get the basic maintenance and repairs done and look up from there.

My DSM:
    1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

Street Build

450 whp   368 lb/ft
  8. 1990TSIAWDTALON

1990TSIAWDTALON Moderator

Joined Nov 14, 2013
    Independence, Kansas
    Glad to have a Father/Daughter project to follow! Thanks for coming to the best, most helpful site for our cars!
    Good Luck on the build!

My DSM:
    1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

14b   automatic
    1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

13.620 @ 108.460 MPH
    1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

13.612 @ 107.760 MPH
  9. teamevolution2

teamevolution2 Proven Member

Joined Apr 10, 2009
    Leesville, Louisiana
    Welcome to in my opinion one of the best car forums you can find. There is a wealth of information on this site as well as some great people. The DSM community is awesome and we love to see new people. I think it's awesome that you are doing this with your daughter. Make sure you keep us updated and as someone stated above me when it comes to tuning check out ECMlink. Also make sure to check the classified section during your project you will find good deals on parts you might need during the build. Again good luck and welcome

My DSM:
    1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

Street Build

16g   manual
  10. Clermas

Joined Oct 22, 2018
    Henderson, Nevada
    Hey guys! A couple weekends ago we swapped out the stock brakes for the PowerStop brakes. I did the drivers side and explained the process and the components along with their functions. Then Akayla did everything on the passenger side except breaking the bolts loose :). Here are some of the pics.
    20181027_140933[1].jpg 20181027_140711[1].jpg 20181027_133714[1].jpg 20181027_121552_1540677559084[1].jpg 20181027_122141_1540677556684[1].jpg

My DSM:

Street Build

14b   manual
    Issues and teamevolution2 like this.
  11. Clermas

Joined Oct 22, 2018
    Henderson, Nevada
    Also got the fuse box cover.. its nothing fancy but still haha..

20181109_140709[1].jpg

My DSM:

Street Build

14b   manual
  12. fredom dsm

fredom dsm Proven Member

Joined Jan 31, 2006
    Denton, Texas
    Beautiful!!! This is something she will never forget. Keep up the good work Sir.

My DSM:
  13. tsiawd98

tsiawd98 Proven Member

Joined Dec 20, 2002
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    One thing to do I would recommend, is to replace the timing belt and the associated components. Who knows when it was last done? If you need help on that, pm me. I live by south point. Good luck with your build!

My DSM:
    1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Drag Race Build

518.3 whp   414.6 lb/ft
    Clermas likes this.
  14. Clermas

Joined Oct 22, 2018
    Henderson, Nevada
    Awesome, I may have to take you up on that.

My DSM:

Street Build

14b   manual