The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Light engine rebuild question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anachrome

Proven Member
Oct 8, 2014
Mulberry, Indiana
Rebuilding my 2.0T lightly in my talon. I'm just gonna do pistons to the top lines 8.0 to 1s and bore it .020 over if need be, and replace the bearings.

I'm looking into acls tri metal bearings but on extreme psi there are like 5 different options for sizes and I didn't clearly understand the difference between the options. Which of the sizes or options would be best for a stock bore or .020 over bore?

before you buy bearings take your crank to a machine shop to spec it out to see if it needs any work done to it. But most likely you will need the standard size bearings.
The different sizes are for people who have their cranks cut to remove imperfections in it.

I would also talk to a machinist about your block before you buy Pistons to check for taper and out of round in the cylinders, and depending on how bad it is you can bore it out to compensate for that.

Bearing size has nothing to do with pistons.

There are bast off the shaft diameter,

You have 5 base part numbers,

* 6 bolt rod bearing
* 6 bolt main bearing

Then

* 7 bolt rod bearing
*7 bolt saddle main bearing
*7 bolt split thrust main bearing
> *7 bolt thrust washers

Then each root part number will have std and oversized after it
* STD
* .25mm = .010
* .50mm = .020

There are 2 part numbers for pistons

*6 bolt (21mm wrist pin)
*7 bolt (22mm wrist pin)

Common sizes are
*STD
*.50nn = .020
* 1mm = .040

Make sure you get the correct ring size to match the piston size

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back