The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Lifter Tick [merged] Revised lifters 3rd Gen Generation 3g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95talontsi

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 29, 2002
Princeton, NJ_Montgomery
I am fixing my valve tix by taking out the lifters or the auto valve lash adjusters. I have the valves cover off, the engine is at top dead center and I am on 3# cylinder. I got instructions off the net, now with either a tool or a standard screw driver press down on the valve and remove the rocker arm then remove the lifter. Which then I will clean out.
The question is where do I push down, The valve has the spring around is and the metal cap on top of that( forget the name of that) where do I push down with out damaging anything, I will probably have to push a bit so I do not want to damage anything. please help?

I am a knockin too! Where is a place to get good lifters from Via web if poss. Thanks!!

KIck the tires and lite the fires!!

ATF=Automatic Transmission Fluid

I have lifter knock too, change your oil every 3k with synthetic oil (i use Mobil 1), put 1/2 quart of ATF in with the oil and it will clean out your system.. trust me!

but a permanant fix to lifter knock would be? i dunno, if i did, i wouldnt have to do all of this bs to get my car to stop sounding like its gonna blow up...LOL

:p

Fix for lifter tick: Revised lifters. (FYI: this does not ALWAYS work)

Originally posted on the OTHER DSM forum by turboniam:

Thanks to a tip from one of my 3000GT buddies, I was able to find a post on
the www.3si.org site from a guy in Dallas, TX that is able to get us the
revised lifters for 7.74 .... that is NOT a typo!!!

7.74 each!!!!!

His name is Dave McKinney and can be reached at 1-888-855-9712 (8-5 Central
Time Zone). Guys, please make sure and thank Dave when you talk to him on
the phone for hooking us up with this price! When you call just tell him you
are part of "Club DSM" and or the Chief sent ya! LOL

Here is the total price for 16 lifters SHIPPED!!!!

$137.30 if you live in Texas (damn taxes!)

$126.84 if you live anywhere but Texas in the US.

If you want COD, add $6 to the total! Also if you pay by credit card, the
name of the company that will be on your Credit Card statement will be
"Valley Engine Parts." FYI

These lifters are made by the same company that manufactures them for
Mitsu!!!

I hope now everyone will be able to get rid of the damn phantom knock from
noisy lifters!!!!

Enjoy the timing advance!!!!
Chief

I got mine from here shipped 2day air to my door for under 140 bucks!! Now, if I can just get them installed.
:D :D

somethings squealing noise around the belts of to the side of the valve cover is this related to my lifter tick or could it be something else?

the squealing is not related to the lifters, but needs to be checked out I imagine;)

Originally posted by TKreander
I had lifter tick. I replaced the intake side lifters and the tickin is gone.
Get new lifters and use premium synthetic oils like mobil 1.

replaced the intake side lifters?? which are these? got pics? where are they found, and how much $$$ ???

my tick was quiet before, and its starting to get louder! :(

i'm new to this... can i race my engine even if its ticking? or should i not? I got a race on sunday night... just wondering hehe

Originally posted by CL MaNTis GST

replaced the intake side lifters?? which are these? got pics? where are they found, and how much $$$ ???

my tick was quiet before, and its starting to get louder! :(

i'm new to this... can i race my engine even if its ticking? or should i not? I got a race on sunday night... just wondering hehe

4g63 has 16 lifters, 8 in the intake side, and 8 in the exhaust side. They all are same.

I don't know for anyone else, but for me the intake side lifters were the only ones that needed to be changed. That way it can be cheaper than replacing all. Don't know where you guys there in US can get and for what $$$. (I happen to live in Finland)

but about 1/2 to 1 qt of ATF where you would normally put oil in. let the car run at idle for 5-10 mins. drain your oil, change your filter, and put some nice synthetic motor oil in.

it only works for about 500 miles for me, but its better than driving around and hearing 'tap tap tap tap' all the time

:dsm: jay

Just get the revised ones.....I had forgotten what the engine i these things sounds like.:thumb:

a less restictive oil filter may help - if you change your oil on a normal basis - ya dont need all that "Extra filtering" the more you filter - the more it will cut down the pressure. i have personaly noticed with fram tough gaurd i tick worse than just a normal cheepo fram.

use moble 1 motor oil and use a different stye oil filter with better flow

When I first bought my 90 Tsi I ran Valvoline 10-30 and had no ticking noise. When I finally saw the light with synthetic I switched over and ever since when my car is cold I get a lifter tick till it warms up. Would changing weight get rid of the tick? If changing weight works, which weight should I use (I still want to use Mobil One). And has anyone had a lifter tick trip the knock sensor.

Small cracks that are very common in the 1G exhaust manifolds - the exhaust tick will go away as the manifold heats up - for a while till you get multiple cracks then it ticks forever. Need to change out to a 2G exhaust manifold, I think there's a VFAQ on it somewhere.

No kidding - I thought I had a sudden case of lifter tick too - I didn't.

i'm pretty sure that's not what it is cause it never does it in the summer. it's just that it's 10 degrees outside right now and that's the only time it does it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back