1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Trouble Logging In or Staying Logged In?

CLEAR YOUR BROWSER COOKIES! More info about this can be found here. If you still have trouble after clearing your browser's cookies and cache, reply to that thread and tell us what browser you're using and what device you're using.

Lifter Tick [merged] Revised lifters 3rd Gen Generation 3g

Posted by 95talontsi, Jul 15, 2002

Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. 95talontsi

95talontsi Proven Member

Joined Jun 29, 2002
    Princeton,
    I am fixing my valve tix by taking out the lifters or the auto valve lash adjusters. I have the valves cover off, the engine is at top dead center and I am on 3# cylinder. I got instructions off the net, now with either a tool or a standard screw driver press down on the valve and remove the rocker arm then remove the lifter. Which then I will clean out.
    The question is where do I push down, The valve has the spring around is and the metal cap on top of that( forget the name of that) where do I push down with out damaging anything, I will probably have to push a bit so I do not want to damage anything. please help?

Featured Products from our Supporting Vendors

2. boost

boost Proven Member

Joined Jul 7, 2002
    If you have ever done a timing belt then take the timing belt off first then you can unbolt the camshafts and youll be able to get those lifters out real easy, and I dont recommend cleaning them just call mitsubishi and buy a new set,a new set for me was $150 but its going to be about $210 for you unless you can get a discount from them. The new ones have bigger oil passages to.

3. 95talontsi

95talontsi Proven Member

Joined Jun 29, 2002
    Princeton,
    $210 just to fix lifter tick, it's not even that bad, I'd rather just take them out I heard you can do it without taking the cam's out which would be nice.

4. 95talontsi

95talontsi Proven Member

Joined Jun 29, 2002
    Princeton,
    and also where I live the I can only get them for 17.95 a peice that's insane thats about $288.

5. NJGSX96

NJGSX96 Proven Member

Joined Dec 11, 2001
    YMB, New Jersey
    Isn't that place still doing the sale for $130 shipped? Check DSMtalk, either Parts or Parts Review forum. it is worth it.

My DSM:
    1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

11.902 @ 116.010 MPH
  6. 95talontsi

95talontsi Proven Member

Joined Jun 29, 2002
    Princeton,
    Forget it I'll do them when I put new cams in, later they not really bad only if you let it idle for about 30 seconds they start, damn mobile 1 stuff is good.

7. JasinC19

JasinC19 Proven Member

Joined Jul 9, 2002
    Lifter tick threads are merged here.

My valves are beginning to tick really loudly now and I want to adjust them. I had the same problem in my crx a while back and my grandfather and I adjusted something inside the valve cover, and the problem was fixed in under an hour.

I have a haynes manual (bleh) but I can't find any info on adjusting the valves. Is it the lifters that need adjustment? What do I have to do to get rid of the ticks?

Also, will driving the car when it's ticking possibly damage anything in any way? Thanks a lot.

Jason Convry

8. ryan2987

ryan2987 Proven Member

Joined Mar 20, 2002
    i think i heard that using a heavier weight oil gets rid of the lifter tick.

9. JasinC19

JasinC19 Proven Member

Joined Jul 9, 2002
    Perhaps, but if the lifters are maladjusted, I want to correct the clearance problem. I'm just wondering if the setup on my car is different than my CRX.

I know there are two types of lifters: solid and hydraulic (or something like that). Anyone know which type my car has? And how do I adjust them? Thanks

Jason

10. turboholic

turboholic Proven Member

Joined Jul 30, 2002
    Rialto, California
    -Our car have hydrolic lifters, they are none adjustable. There are revise lifters for our car. This guy seem to have the best price on them for $7.74 each. the guy is in Texas His name is Dave McKinney, contact info In the US: 1-888-855-9712 Out of the US: 214-441-1500 Email: dgmckjr@earthlink.net. let him know where you heard that price from when you order.

11. Turbo Guru

Turbo Guru Proven Member

Joined Jun 15, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    They are hydraulic lifters and are self adjusting. The only way to fix (not band-aid) the lifter tick is to replace them with the current revision model of the lifter assembly. The current revision has a larger oiling hole than the old style. Turboholic is right.

Joe

My DSM:
  12. JasinC19

JasinC19 Proven Member

Joined Jul 9, 2002
    Ok thanks. I don't have the cash to fix them now. Will it damage my engine if I keep running them like this? Thanks

Jason

13. Enigma_Man

Enigma_Man Proven Member

Joined May 15, 2002
    Lawrence, Massachusetts
    I know it's not a "repair" but try switching brands of oil. I didn't use a heavier weight or anything, just switched brands. Some people say Mobil1 fixed theirs. It didn't for me, but I tried Castrol Syntec (cheaper than mobil1 as well) and it worked really well. I get no tick at all now.

Hope that helps while you're saving up for 16 lifters :)

-Jesse

My DSM:
  14. 99GST

99GST Proven Member

Joined Dec 26, 2001
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Lifter tick should not be hurting your car or your engine at all. Worst case scenario is that the tick will get too loud, and your knock sensor will kick off. Hence your timing will be pulled and you will loose power.

If that happens, just let off the gas and go again.

I dont recommend switching to a different weight oil, because it doesnt do any good. Also using additional oil additives are nothing more than short short fixes, but the tick will come back.

The only true way to fix it, is to get new lifters and pop them in. I did, and my car is extremely quite now.

Enjoy

15. JasinC19

JasinC19 Proven Member

Joined Jul 9, 2002
    Ok thanks a lot everyone for the input

Jason

16. turboholic

turboholic Proven Member

Joined Jul 30, 2002
    Rialto, California
  17. AW4G63

AW4G63 Proven Member

Joined Apr 11, 2002
    TommyPantsdownville, Ohio
    Is it hard to replace the lifters?

18. 99GST

99GST Proven Member

Joined Dec 26, 2001
    Nashville, Tennessee
    That depends. If you have not changed your timing belt, then you can change your lifters when you change your TB. And then it is easy as hell.

If you have already changed it, or dont need to for awhile, then it is a little bit time consuming, and you simply need to be careful. But it is not that hard to do.

Me....i changed them with my timing,A/C,power steering, alternator, and balance shaft belts....oh and tensioners and water pump too.

nathan

19. 3NiGm4

3NiGm4 Proven Member

Joined Aug 6, 2002
    I have the same tick, I find that it come when my oil level starts to drop. I find that chevron 10W40 helps the most.

20. dTERM

dTERM Proven Member

Joined Jun 5, 2002
    No way, use the house brand oil from Albertsons. I saw one of the stock boys filling it up with the same stuff they use to make the "milk"shakes. It's probably the consistancy of week old concrete.

(Don't listen to me...Turbo Guru said it best...new revision.)

21. BozBot

BozBot Proven Member

Joined May 29, 2002
    hopewell junction,
    alright i think i have come to the conclusion that my car has lifter tick, but i wanna know some specifics about it before i assume it is, and drive my car.....my cars symptoms:
    1. start the car sounds fairly quiet unless you open the hood and basically stick your ear on the valve cover.
    2. open the throttle a little and the 'tick' gets lauder. normal??
    3. sometimes it will go away completely.
    NOw this recently started after I replaced the connecting rod berarings and could no longer hear the squealing that it used to make.(the tick could have been there b4, i just prob. couldnt hear it.
    4. my engine is pretty new though, it had the engine replace at 80k now its at 115k, so figure about35k on the new motor.

IS there any way to know for sure that it is lifter tick, b/c i dont want to do any incredibly major damage to it.
    is there something else it could be?

please help me, i miss my turbo 4g63!!!!

22. BozBot

BozBot Proven Member

Joined May 29, 2002
    hopewell junction,
    please soemone help me!
    i mean feel sorry for me I have to drive an beat to #@%#@%#@%#@% green 88 ford bronco automatic. its agony in itself. help

23. jay-d

jay-d Proven Member

Joined Aug 11, 2002
    Toronto,
    a lot of dsm's have lifter tick.. mines got it.. sometimes it goes away.. when i do oil changes.. its really happy and doesn't tick at alll.. but i don't think it'll do any damage if thats what ur concerned about. but im not an expert. If you do some searchs, im sure you'll find a forum on here about that.. =]

24. BozBot

BozBot Proven Member

Joined May 29, 2002
    hopewell junction,
    thanks for the encouraging word jay, i am having a friends friend look at it, his car has lifter tick too, so hes gonna tell me if thats my problem.hes got a galant vr4, and has been dealing with the 4g63 motor for about 3 years or so now. hopefully he can give me a good idea.

ps. jay, nice cockatiel, is it yours or just a pick you found? I have 6 myself. really smart birds!

25. TKreander

TKreander Proven Member

Joined May 27, 2002
    Vantaa, Europe
    I had lifter tick. I replaced the intake side lifters and the tickin is gone.
    Get new lifters and use premium synthetic oils like mobil 1.