The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Lifter Tick [merged] Revised lifters 3rd Gen Generation 3g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95talontsi

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 29, 2002
Princeton, NJ_Montgomery
I am fixing my valve tix by taking out the lifters or the auto valve lash adjusters. I have the valves cover off, the engine is at top dead center and I am on 3# cylinder. I got instructions off the net, now with either a tool or a standard screw driver press down on the valve and remove the rocker arm then remove the lifter. Which then I will clean out.
The question is where do I push down, The valve has the spring around is and the metal cap on top of that( forget the name of that) where do I push down with out damaging anything, I will probably have to push a bit so I do not want to damage anything. please help?

If you have ever done a timing belt then take the timing belt off first then you can unbolt the camshafts and youll be able to get those lifters out real easy, and I dont recommend cleaning them just call mitsubishi and buy a new set,a new set for me was $150 but its going to be about $210 for you unless you can get a discount from them. The new ones have bigger oil passages to.

$210 just to fix lifter tick, it's not even that bad, I'd rather just take them out I heard you can do it without taking the cam's out which would be nice.

and also where I live the I can only get them for 17.95 a peice that's insane thats about $288.

Forget it I'll do them when I put new cams in, later they not really bad only if you let it idle for about 30 seconds they start, damn mobile 1 stuff is good.

Lifter tick threads are merged here.

My valves are beginning to tick really loudly now and I want to adjust them. I had the same problem in my crx a while back and my grandfather and I adjusted something inside the valve cover, and the problem was fixed in under an hour.

I have a haynes manual (bleh) but I can't find any info on adjusting the valves. Is it the lifters that need adjustment? What do I have to do to get rid of the ticks?

Also, will driving the car when it's ticking possibly damage anything in any way? Thanks a lot.

Jason Convry

i think i heard that using a heavier weight oil gets rid of the lifter tick.

Perhaps, but if the lifters are maladjusted, I want to correct the clearance problem. I'm just wondering if the setup on my car is different than my CRX.

I know there are two types of lifters: solid and hydraulic (or something like that). Anyone know which type my car has? And how do I adjust them? Thanks

Jason

-Our car have hydrolic lifters, they are none adjustable. There are revise lifters for our car. This guy seem to have the best price on them for $7.74 each. the guy is in Texas His name is Dave McKinney, contact info In the US: 1-888-855-9712 Out of the US: 214-441-1500 Email: [email protected]. let him know where you heard that price from when you order.

They are hydraulic lifters and are self adjusting. The only way to fix (not band-aid) the lifter tick is to replace them with the current revision model of the lifter assembly. The current revision has a larger oiling hole than the old style. Turboholic is right.

Joe

Ok thanks. I don't have the cash to fix them now. Will it damage my engine if I keep running them like this? Thanks

Jason

I know it's not a "repair" but try switching brands of oil. I didn't use a heavier weight or anything, just switched brands. Some people say Mobil1 fixed theirs. It didn't for me, but I tried Castrol Syntec (cheaper than mobil1 as well) and it worked really well. I get no tick at all now.

Hope that helps while you're saving up for 16 lifters :)

-Jesse

Lifter tick should not be hurting your car or your engine at all. Worst case scenario is that the tick will get too loud, and your knock sensor will kick off. Hence your timing will be pulled and you will loose power.

If that happens, just let off the gas and go again.

I dont recommend switching to a different weight oil, because it doesnt do any good. Also using additional oil additives are nothing more than short short fixes, but the tick will come back.

The only true way to fix it, is to get new lifters and pop them in. I did, and my car is extremely quite now.

Enjoy

Originally posted by AW4G63
Is it hard to replace the lifters?

That depends. If you have not changed your timing belt, then you can change your lifters when you change your TB. And then it is easy as hell.

If you have already changed it, or dont need to for awhile, then it is a little bit time consuming, and you simply need to be careful. But it is not that hard to do.

Me....i changed them with my timing,A/C,power steering, alternator, and balance shaft belts....oh and tensioners and water pump too.

nathan

I have the same tick, I find that it come when my oil level starts to drop. I find that chevron 10W40 helps the most.

No way, use the house brand oil from Albertsons. I saw one of the stock boys filling it up with the same stuff they use to make the "milk"shakes. It's probably the consistancy of week old concrete.

(Don't listen to me...Turbo Guru said it best...new revision.)

alright i think i have come to the conclusion that my car has lifter tick, but i wanna know some specifics about it before i assume it is, and drive my car.....my cars symptoms:
1. start the car sounds fairly quiet unless you open the hood and basically stick your ear on the valve cover.
2. open the throttle a little and the 'tick' gets lauder. normal??
3. sometimes it will go away completely.
NOw this recently started after I replaced the connecting rod berarings and could no longer hear the squealing that it used to make.(the tick could have been there b4, i just prob. couldnt hear it.
4. my engine is pretty new though, it had the engine replace at 80k now its at 115k, so figure about35k on the new motor.

IS there any way to know for sure that it is lifter tick, b/c i dont want to do any incredibly major damage to it.
is there something else it could be?

please help me, i miss my turbo 4g63!!!!

please soemone help me!
i mean feel sorry for me I have to drive an beat to #@%#@%#@%#@% green 88 ford bronco automatic. its agony in itself. help

a lot of dsm's have lifter tick.. mines got it.. sometimes it goes away.. when i do oil changes.. its really happy and doesn't tick at alll.. but i don't think it'll do any damage if thats what ur concerned about. but im not an expert. If you do some searchs, im sure you'll find a forum on here about that.. =]

thanks for the encouraging word jay, i am having a friends friend look at it, his car has lifter tick too, so hes gonna tell me if thats my problem.hes got a galant vr4, and has been dealing with the 4g63 motor for about 3 years or so now. hopefully he can give me a good idea.

ps. jay, nice cockatiel, is it yours or just a pick you found? I have 6 myself. really smart birds!

I had lifter tick. I replaced the intake side lifters and the tickin is gone.
Get new lifters and use premium synthetic oils like mobil 1.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back