The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Lets talk Difs.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you mean internally different? As in the metal is thinner and therefore weaker?

Do Evo tripods have the same spline count as the LSD DSM ones? Would they be compatible?

Do Evo tripods have the same spline count as the LSD DSM ones? Would they be compatible?

I will have a set of EVO axles in hand next week....I also have the 4bolt 2g rear currently so I'll post what I find.

Thanks! Looks like we have similar upgrades in mind, I'm also converting a GST into a GSX.

The EVO inner cups go right onto a 1G LSD tripod, I used a set of micrometers to measure the dimensions of both and they were identical, and the spline count on the EVO and 1G LSD tripods are the same as well. I would assume that this is the case for the 2G as well, since 1G and 2G cars share the same LSD, however, I did actually have a 2G non LSD inner cup in my hands at the time I was checking this, and this cup was far different than the EVO and 1G LSD cup- the outside and inside of this cup was smaller, meaning that the 2G non LSD inner cup is not an option for 1G axles, which was what I was trying to confirm at the time, and I have not been able to get my hands on 2G LSD axles to investigate further.
Anyone with 2G LSD axles laying around and a set of EVO axles should check to see if the EVO cups can be swapped directly onto the 2G axles or not.

The EVO inner cups go right onto a 1G LSD tripod, I used a set of micrometers to measure the dimensions of both and they were identical, and the spline count on the EVO and 1G LSD tripods are the same as well. I would assume that this is the case for the 2G as well, since 1G and 2G cars share the same LSD, however, I did actually have a 2G non LSD inner cup in my hands at the time I was checking this, and this cup was far different than the EVO and 1G LSD cup- the outside and inside of this cup was smaller, meaning that the 2G non LSD inner cup is not an option for 1G axles, which was what I was trying to confirm at the time, and I have not been able to get my hands on 2G LSD axles to investigate further.
Anyone with 2G LSD axles laying around and a set of EVO axles should check to see if the EVO cups can be swapped directly onto the 2G axles or not.

I have a set of EVO axles on the way to replace my 2G LSD so I will let ya know what I find.

Interesting that you bring this up. I Installed a KAZZ LSD in my 2G LSD rear and was using EVO 3 inner CVs, but something seems to have failed on the CVs. Long story short, i called DSS and after a few emails back and forth, it turns out that the 2G LSD axle bars are 30 spline and the EVO 8 is 32 spline. They are going to make me a 32 spline axle bar that is the correct length for the 2G. This will use an EVO 8 inner CV and a modified outer CV to accept an EVO 8 outer tripod.

No, I'm in the middle of emailing DSS and was told that the 2G LSD axle bars are 30 Spline and the EVO 8 axle bars are 32 spline.

Does anyone have any insight into this yet?

Thanks.

I actually did a little digging on this today... went to a few parts stores and all any of them had was a driver side non-abs manual trans axle. Which does NOT appear to work with an evo diff. Spline count and diameter is more or less accurate, but the outboard diameters and lengths aren't right. I'm going to keep researching this, perhaps auto axles? ABS axles?

Can we get basic measurements maybe? Anytime someone pulls a confirmed stock part, just note the basics...
I'll pop in here some time down the road when I start the LSD diff swap on my 97. Trying to make an article.

DSS says they can make some custom shafts (2G sized with evo cups and tripods that fit them).

DSS says they can make some custom shafts (2G sized with evo cups and tripods that fit them).

I just spoke to Tad Neal at DSS this afternoon. They are going to build me a set of rear axles, like their "MIR3" but they will be 32 spline, which is the same as the EVO 8. They will includeEVO 8 inner CV joints and outer 2G LSD CV joints machined to use 32 spline tripods from the EVO. Correct length for the 2G. They will be complete, ready to bolt in and the cost will be 799.00.

Why the heck would you pay $799 when you could just buy a set of evo rear axles for way less and just use the inner cups? this path this thread has taken is boggling my mind...

I did that....sort of. I got EVO 3 inner CVs and installed them. They are originall DSS axles that I have been using for the last 7-8 years. After about 2 weeks, I had a CV tripod failure. I'm not sure if there is any difference between EVO 3 and 8 CVs. But I originally tried to buy EVO 8 axles and nobody would sell them without the LSD rear differential.....kind of like a complete package deal and most were asking in the $1300 range. I'll swap these in and rebuild my existing DSS axles and sell them on the classifieds. There is a lot of demand for 2G LSD rear axles, so I might get back a couple hundred....hopefully.

Where did you see that the non-LSD axle tripod/inner cups were weaker?

Non-LSD tripod bearings are smaller than the LSD version, plus they have a different spline count. Non-LSD inners are functionally identical to Evo inners - they are externally identical, but internally they are slightly different.

This and a couple other posts made me start to wonder if they were saying it's physically weaker, or are they just saying for that specific setup?

This and a couple other posts made me start to wonder if they were saying it's physically weaker, or are they just saying for that specific setup?

Since the bearing elements are smaller, but the external cup dimensions are the same, one would have to believe that the bearings are marginally weaker.

More to the point though - has anyone ever broken one ? Despite the amount of grip my car has, it's still only running a T25, so I imagine my axles will be fine a hundred years from now ! I have broken axles in the past, but only ever the shafts, so I'm certainly not concerned.

Since the bearing elements are smaller, but the external cup dimensions are the same, one would have to believe that the bearings are marginally weaker.

More to the point though - has anyone ever broken one ? Despite the amount of grip my car has, it's still only running a T25, so I imagine my axles will be fine a hundred years from now ! I have broken axles in the past, but only ever the shafts, so I'm certainly not concerned.

That's what I was thinking. I've heard of the actual axle snapping but never the tripod bearings only.

I know I'm not supposed to solicit a sale here, but I've had so many people ask me for this over the past few months that I can't keep track of all the requests, and I want everyone to have a fair kick at this. So:

I have another Adelia Magic mechanical coupling coming; it has 6,000 miles on it, worked fine when removed. I will be taking best offer. Keep in mind I sold my last Adelia in the 4-figure range.

I will consider purchasing it if youve still got it in the coming weeks after Ive handles some other junk, though Im not sure Id do xxxx.xx on it when I could do a Kaaz center. Ive also been kicking around just simply removing the VC entirely and just putting a ring like whats used on the Quaife and Kaaz centers to see what would happen on asphalt with my mechanical front and rear LSDs...

Adelia Magic will worth every penny as your car become faster and become more technical. eventually you will out power the front wheels or the rear. center differential becomes an open diff unless you weld it and welding it will hurt lower turn in speed/tight corner performance.

Oh, Id never consider welding it. I just want to experiment with it by removing the coupler and leaving it open as some of the Cusco tarmac center dif users have. As is, I can easily power on oversteer the car sideways with the Evo dif, though I bet the VC hates it. Id love to have the Adelia, as Im sure it makes things much more controllable and predictable, it just costs a lot and makes choosing between a mechanical center dif or the coupler somewhat difficult...

I just want to experiment with it by removing the coupler and leaving it open as some of the Cusco tarmac center dif users have.
That's similar to what I have now... RipGrip front, Cusco tarmac center with spacer, EVO8 rear.

Generally, the rear always breaks loose first, and without the VC, the car behaves exactly like a RWD.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back