The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

420A 2gNT Let off the gas while driving and it jerks

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shrapnelfx21

Probationary Member
Jun 11, 2012
greenwood, Wisconsin
My 95 gs eclipse has a few problems, i have mentioned some in other posts (randomly dies). The problem is that when you are driving highway speed (60) and let off the gas to slow down it doesn't slow down smoothly, it has a jerking feel. It also not even close to smooth when you hit the gas again to speed back up, its like there is a certian place when you are pushing down the where it just decideds to give it gas, and jerks when that happens. If you could help me that would be great, i don't know if this is linked to it randomly dieing while driving. Thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What mods do you have done to the car, will help decide factors that may cause this! Because you say it isn't accelerating smoothly and that makes me think fuel cut but it may be something else, not sure without the mod list.

Ex - stock bottom end, fmu, etc..

Everything is still stock, i havent put the turbo on it yet. I have replace the TP, MAP, IAC, and O2 sensors, plugs, wires, and coil, fuel filter and part of a kinked fuel line, and just got a new battery. It also doesnt have any power unless the rpms are above 3000.

Check the motor mounts and that the bolts holding the transmission to the engine are all there and tight. I was having similar issues and discovered that 2 bolts from my transmission had vibrated loose and tightening them up seemed to fix it.

Oh my bad, said turbo on sig and ya LOL

But umm.. Well did you do a compression check?? is your car throwing a CEL??

It doesnt idle that nice, when you first start it, it will run for about five seconds then want to kill, but if you give it gas it will stay alive. Once it stays running it idles fine but i think its a little high, it idles at 1450. I highly dought that its the motor mount, although i will check that out tomorrow. I was thinking about getting a new fuel pump, would that help? And I found (heres the link) DeatschWerks DW300 Fuel Pump + Kit Mitsubishi Eclipse 2G DSM 95-99 - 9-301-0847 is that too much for my car, even after i put the turbo on?

I do not have a CEL on except when it kills in the middle of driving it. I have also had it hooked up to a computer but there were no codes found. Do you think it might be the ECU ?

There were NO codes found. The TPS that i put on is not adjustable. The other problem with the idle is that it takes way too long to come back down to idle after you let your foot off the gas. For example when i first start it up and take off, after i push the clutch in to shift into second i have to wait 3-4 seconds before the rpms come back down. Also if you just tap the gas while its idling the rpms will jump to 3200 and stay there for 2-3 seconds. If 99RedGs lives anywhere close to greenwood let my know because i could really use someone who knows what they are talking about to look at my car, and take it for a drive.

Check your IAC, then your EGR. Just dealt with this on my wife's car. These 420A engines are known for idle problems associated with these 2 areas. Also as noted before check for vacuum/air leaks. I had one drive me crazy for a while before I found it by spraying water from underneath the car at the intake manifold to cylinder head gasket.

As far as the throttle taking a while to come back down, Have you checked to see if the throttle linkage is hanging up anywhere?

;)
My 95 gs eclipse has a few problems, i have mentioned some in other posts (randomly dies). The problem is that when you are driving highway speed (60) and let off the gas to slow down it doesn't slow down smoothly, it has a jerking feel. It also not even close to smooth when you hit the gas again to speed back up, its like there is a certian place when you are pushing down the where it just decideds to give it gas, and jerks when that happens. If you could help me that would be great, i don't know if this is linked to it randomly dieing while driving. Thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will jerk when trying to hold a constant speed, a.k.a. 30 mph, it will not keep going a constant speed. It is forced to accelerate, or decelerate, otherwise the car jerks and then speeds up when you press the gas and it is in gear, and when you let off it jerks and then slows down.

Same symptoms here. 1998 GS-T Eclipse.
Manual Transmission, clutch lets out near the floor.

Hey did you ever figure out why it jerks accelerating and decelerating? What is the issue?
Mine does the same thing, and it wont stay in one place a.k.a 30mph, because it will jerk backward when you let your foot off the gas in the midst of being in gear and just cruising.

Last edited:
;)

Will jerk when trying to hold a constant speed, a.k.a. 30 mph, it will not keep going a constant speed. It is forced to accelerate, or decelerate, otherwise the car jerks and then speeds up when you press the gas and it is in gear, and when you let off it jerks and then slows down.

Same symptoms here. 1998 GS-T Eclipse.
Manual Transmission, clutch lets out near the floor.

Hey did you ever figure out why it jerks accelerating and decelerating? What is the issue?
Mine does the same thing, and it wont stay in one place a.k.a 30mph, because it will jerk backward when you let your foot off the gas in the midst of being in gear and just cruising.
Solution to this ever found?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back