The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Led Taillights

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lenn

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 29, 2005
Beaumont / Port Arthur, Texas
i have seen a few people with LED panels in their tail lights and i think the look is killer. can anyone inform me of how to do it myself (and where to get LED panels), or where i can get them? oh by the way i have a 95 ESi if that makes a difference. thanks

Check out HIDPlanet.com

Go to their forums and look through the LED section. It's chock full of LED light conversions from simple to insane. (Count me insane).

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

im makeing my own led panel now, it can get pricey but not if you order a ton of led bulbs, me and my friend each order a ton and we got amazing ones for 30 cents a peice, look into it, by the way azdave has probably the best looking car on the site SICK

Seeing Daves lights in person quite a few times I can agree his tailights are the sickest.

Ever.

L2RTSiAWD said:
Seeing Daves lights in person quite a few times I can agree his tailights are the sickest.

Ever.

Thanks and thanks again.

Your quote makes it sound like my car is so fast you've been looking at my tail lights a lot. Ha!

Well... I'm prepping for the Stage III install so maybe soon.

At 30 cents per LED that's only $250 worth of LEDs in my project. OMG

dude your car sick, like amazing, how many led'd did you use? did you use resistors? how much was each one, sorry to jeck the thread

OMG that look so pretty man!!! i wish i could get it done to my car, hopefully soon when i get everything done under the hood..

gsnoturbo90 said:
dude your car sick, like amazing, how many led'd did you use? did you use resistors? how much was each one, sorry to jeck the thread

828 Lumileds SuperFlux LEDs mounted SMT-style in 22 separately activated lighting sections. .46 each

26 custom etched circuit boards I designed

275 SMT 15 ohm 1/4 watt resistors

6 custom-built pulse width modulators

6 custom-built power supplies with 24 separately activated 9-volt outputs. Each of the 24 outputs can drive up to 80 LEDs at 70mA.

Just under 5000 hand soldered connections in total.

I'm now working on the micro-computer to drive the light show display including a 7 segment sequential turn signal function.

azdave said:
Yow. I've bought things and driven them for three years for fifty bucks less than that.

Although it does kind of look like the Millennium Falcon with a reactor fire.

azdave said:
Thanks and thanks again.

Your quote makes it sound like my car is so fast you've been looking at my tail lights a lot. Ha!

Well... I'm prepping for the Stage III install so maybe soon.

i bet you'll never get rearended...LOL

looks very good man. lovin it :thumb:

That's not the only neat thing about those taillights. There's some vids somewhere of them where he can dim or brighten the lights and even have them move from one side to the other. If you've got those vids Dave, you should post them up. That was just about one of the most amazing things I've ever seen.

If I ever get rear ended I'll be crying a few extra tears if the tails get smashed up.

I do have one video up on my site now that show a simpler display where I was manually making them light up back and forth. That's probably the one you saw before.

That was shot with a digital camera by DR1665. I have a simple sequencer installed now so I'll try to get another video up by Sunday.

Right click, "Save as"

LED tail light movie clip

Here's another you might like. Not LEDs but HIDs.
Right click, "Save as"

Eclipse remote start

Defiant said:
The remote hatch is terrific. What actuators, what kind of cost?

Here is a much better video of the LEDs in action.

Right click "Save as"

LED Tail light demo clip

Hatch open?
1-Bimba air cylinder
1-3 port solenoid
hatch opens via alarm remote and trunk release solenoid

Parts were from scrap yards around town.

Major Props on that. Hey, could you send me the link for where you got your LED's... I can't seem to find a site that has a good price.

SnoopySLR said:
Major Props on that. Hey, could you send me the link for where you got your LED's... I can't seem to find a site that has a good price.

Thanks. The pulsing action at the end of the video really looks like that at night. It's a bit dis-orienting to walk around the car with it blinking like that.

http://www.lumiledsfuture.com/products/line.cfm?lineId=4 is the only US
distibutor of Lumileds products.

Definetly the coolest exterior mod ive seen to any car.

Ever thought of doing something like this

^That is a kick as$ sh!t

m1nd64m3 said:

^That is a kick as$ sh!t

That's simple.
I'm trying to get help to build a micro-controller to do this:
LED sequencer video

m1nd64m3 said:

^That is a kick as$ sh!t

Thats g@y... sorry, that looks retarted.
[It's good that you can get your tarts re-loaded, and thank you for your insight. :rolleyes: ] - Defiant

LOL! Defiant... that was funny. RETARDED. there I spelt it right.

You hurt K.I.T.T.'s feelings ................. then again, he did seem to have those tendencies.

Actually, I remember seeing on EBay a few years ago that they made ones that were supposed to be the exact same style LED strip used in Knight Rider. Came with a mountable module too to control the strobe. I wouldn't do it, just saying.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back