1. EXPECT DELAYS! We'll be performing some routine system updates this week. Plan for some intermittent site outages. Sorry for the inconvenience. If you notice anything broken, post a thread in the Site Feedback forum please.

Leaking oil from oil filter

Posted by nuggets, Jul 18, 2004
Newbie Forum - Beginner DSM modification questions and discussions. Common, repetitive, and general discussions will get dumped here from other tech forums. Unless you're a Probationary member you shouldn't post threads here.

1. nuggets

nuggets Proven Member

hales corners, Wisconsin
    Hey,

last nite, i got on my car pretty rough when it was..... moderatly warmed up. it sure did warm up quick though. yes i am probably an idiot for doing this but that is behind me now. i wake up this morning to move my car, and what do i find? a big puddle of oil leaking from my oil filter. I know for a fact this was probably my fault, I would just like to know how to fix it or WHAT the problem is so that I will never do this in the future.

94 talon tsi fwd
    88,000 miles
    k&n
    free mods
    b&m FPR
    running 18 psi

2. Mike1992

Mike1992 Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Springfield, Missouri
    I hear this is a big problem on the 91-94 turbo cars, has something to do with the water to oil cooler. Do a search on it, you'll find the answer.

3. snailpower

snailpower Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Strasburg, Virginia
    I had the same problem last weekend. This is what I did to fix it-----Drain oil, pull filter off, get a 23mm deep socket and try tightening the protruding metal thing that the filter fits over (this bolt attaches the oil cooler to the block). Don't over-tighten!, replace filter--fill oil and cross fingers. What led me to this was my filter backing off under boost, my damn oil cooler and filter was hanging on by a thread literally. No leaks since then so i'm assuming this fixed the problem. Good luck :dsm: :thumb:

4. Jon Smith

Jon Smith Proven Member

, Cary_NC
    This is indeed a problem on the 1g's with a water/oil cooler. It's an easy fix though, just don't put it off for too long!

Remove the oil filter, reach up and unscrew the threaded stud that the filter screws onto. Allow the oil to drain from the motor as long as possible. Clean the parts as best you can, check the condition of the O-ring that is situated between the cooler and housing. Upon reassembly make sure the O-ring does not roll, pinch, or fall out of place.

Apply some loctite to the threads and screw it back into the housing. Torque spec is 26-33 ft/lbs, overtightening WILL crush the cooler and mix coolant with oil. Reinstall filter and check the oil level.

5. BUCK

BUCK Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Summerville, South_Carolina
    MANY Threads on this - your POS Water to Oil Cooler is crushing & letting the Flat Oil Filter Gasket "spit" out of the gap - This can happen at 70MPH & kill a Motor QUICK! Snailpower you & all the other guys like you are sitting on Time Bombs...

For now use only the Mitsu Oil Filter with the T shaped Gasket until you delete the POS Water Cooler, the T shaped Gasket on the Mitsu Oil Filter is less prone to "spit" than the Flat Gaskets found on virtually all other Oil Filters.

Yes - Overtightening the Filter will crush the innards of the POS Water Cooler & cross-contaminate your Oil & Antifreeze - & Guess what - they warm up QUICKLY when this happens...

Here's a recent Thread of many out there that has a fix in it - You really need to go with an Air to Oil Cooler - that is the ONLY TRUE FIX for this problem, anything else is just a bandaid...

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125879&highlight=cooler

6. norice4me

norice4me Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    sewaren, New_Jersey
    hey guy my oil filter stud it striped how do i get it off i tryed the 23mm deep socket but it wont lossen it wont grab at all please help me i need to get this off....

7. BUCK

BUCK Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Vice Grips? Pipe Wrench? It's possible it's Loctited in the OFH from the Factory like the Allen Pipe Plugs that are also in the OFH - It's possible you may have to pull the OFH off the Block & apply heat to breakdown the Loctite.

8. norice4me

norice4me Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    sewaren, New_Jersey
    How many bolts are there and is it easy to take off?

9. BUCK

BUCK Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    5 or 6 Bolts - all DIFFERENT LENGTHS so keep track of what's where - here are pix...

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87160&highlight=housing

10. norice4me

norice4me Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    sewaren, New_Jersey
    thanx that helps alot do you know how to get the bolt off on the rite way rite the 3 one going from left .thanx

11. Trevor90GXT

Trevor90GXT Proven Member

Delta, Colorado
    Hey don't the 1990's have the air to oil oil coolers instead of the POS water to oil oil coolers?

12. norice4me

norice4me Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    sewaren, New_Jersey
    i am not positive.... does any one know ware i get get this part from the dealer dont make it any more :mad:

13. BUCK

BUCK Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    NORICE I'm pretty sure your Oil Filter Bolt part # is VERY similar to the NT Oil Filter bolt part # as the 90 Turbo Oil Filter Bolt is shorter due to the lack of Water Cooler. You can also cut an Oil Filter Bolt made for a Water Cooler & shorten it as I did for use with no Water Cooler.

Yes - but his Oil Filter Bolt is stripped if I understand him correctly - We are just trying to help him get the stripped Bolt out of his good 90 OFH.

14. norice4me

norice4me Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    sewaren, New_Jersey
    well today i am gunna take the whole thing off and try to get it off there hoppfullly iy will come off i need need to find some ware that has it and ideas thanx for all the help guys

15. Aikouka

Aikouka Proven Member

Endicott, New_York
    I noticed some slight leaking from my oil filter today after the autocross event. And to make sure I understand what was said earlier in this thread. The problem is the oil filter stud that's not tight enough on the oil cooler? Because when I took off my old filter, I could easily move the oil cooler a good bit (but it was still restricted by the coolant hoses). Does this mean the stud is not tight enough? I only hand tightened the filter until the oil cooler couldn't freely turn anymore.

Another thing, could I reuse my oil since I've only been using it for ~400 miles? I don't feel like paying another ~$20 for 6 quarts of Mobil 1 :p.

16. psychlow

psychlow Proven Member

Colorado Springs, Colorado
    As long as nothing contaminates the oil and you use good, clean storage containers, I don't see any problem with reusing your oil. I've done it many, many times when I've had to drain clean oil on an engine.

17. BUCK

BUCK Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    The problem is your Water Cooler will crush internally & cross-contaminate your Antifreeze & Oil - and/or it'll crush & dump out all your Oil on ground when Oil Filter Gasket "spits" thru gap.

18. Aikouka

Aikouka Proven Member

Endicott, New_York
    I've looked under my radiator cap and my coolant is still the "ooze" green color, but I'm not sure if that's good enough to proove that I don't have cross contamination. But I'm definitely losing oil through my filter. Right now I'm using the FRAM filter, so should I call up the dealer and order an OEM filter?

19. BUCK

BUCK Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    For now use only the Mitsu Oil Filter with the T shaped Gasket until you delete the POS Water Cooler, the T shaped Gasket on the Mitsu Oil Filter is less prone to "spit" than the Flat Gaskets found on virtually all other Oil Filters.

20. Aikouka

Aikouka Proven Member

Endicott, New_York
    I just went to the Chrysler dealer today and asked them for an OEM filter. They gave me a MOPAR part, and when I looked at it, I commented about the fact that it was a flat filter. The guy looked at me like I had a second head growing out of my neck, and talked to "some guy who owns a talon". The guy said that was the part that he uses. If it's not right, I'll just go return it and go to the Ford/Mitsubishi dealer that's right next door :p.

Also, do I necessarily have to drain the engine oil when taking the filter off? If I can get away with just taking the filter off and draining the oil in it (and any that comes out of the stud) into containers, that'd be a lot easier.