The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

Launch control/step 2 Fuel vs Spark!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eclipsyco

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 19, 2011
Somewhere in, Central_America
What's up guys!
I wanted to discuss the differences the good and the bad between the fuel and spark/ignition rev limiter it seems there's not much info about this in the forum.
Do you guys use any? Can both be used at the same time? Which one is better and why?

Spark/ignition cut is not available on a stock ECU (which includes a reflash, DSMLink, etc). Only a standalone such as an AEM EMS has this available. They both have their benefits and drawbacks.

Ignition cut can be safer if you're using water/methanol injection or nitrous. If you have the factory igniter, the tach's RPM signal will be cut so your tach will go nuts when using ignition cut. However (if you're using the stock crank trigger), you can tap into the crank signal instead for the tach to avoid this problem. Cutting spark can theoretically cause more fuel puddling and a rich condition once the spark comes back on as fuel is continuing to be delivered without being combusted. It does seem to produce more noise out the exhaust as some of that unburnt fuel ignites when it hits the hot exhaust manifold, which can cause an increase in boost if being used during 2-Step, and lots of panty-dropping flames.

Fuel cut is the OEM strategy and won't cause fuel puddling or a wacky tach. However, if fuel cut is used along with water/methanol, this a potentially dangerous situation where the engine may momentarily continue to produce combustion but will be extremely lean, which can cause RPM overshoot or even engine damage.

Personally, I use both together in my race car.

Beau

Spark/ignition cut is not available on a stock ECU (which includes a reflash, DSMLink, etc). Only a standalone such as an AEM EMS has this available. They both have their benefits and drawbacks.

Ignition cut can be safer if you're using water/methanol injection or nitrous. If you have the factory igniter, the tach's RPM signal will be cut so your tach will go nuts when using ignition cut. However (if you're using the stock crank trigger), you can tap into the crank signal instead for the tach to avoid this problem. Cutting spark can theoretically cause more fuel puddling and a rich condition once the spark comes back on as fuel is continuing to be delivered without being combusted. It does seem to produce more noise out the exhaust as some of that unburnt fuel ignites when it hits the hot exhaust manifold, which can cause an increase in boost if being used during 2-Step, and lots of panty-dropping flames.

Fuel cut is the OEM strategy and won't cause fuel puddling or a wacky tach. However, if fuel cut is used along with water/methanol, this a potentially dangerous situation where the engine may momentarily continue to produce combustion but will be extremely lean, which can cause RPM overshoot or even engine damage.

Personally, I use both together in my race car.

Beau
so using both ignition and fuel cut launch control works better than using just one or the other? i have dsmlink with a dynatek arc 2 and have the dynatek 2 step to cut ignition for launch control and i have it controlled to dsmlink tru the fps output. would using both dsmlink 2 step and dynatek 2step at the same time better? and if so how come?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back