The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

Lancer Evolution III Intake Manifold

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Here's some of the TB and another part which I have no idea what it is...

Attachments

• EVO Unknown Part.JPG
    EVO Unknown Part.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 703
  • EVO TB Inside.JPG
    EVO TB Inside.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 683
  • EVO TB Measured.JPG
    EVO TB Measured.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 690
I'm not sure if anyone can convert that last pic to millimeters... the tape measure was the only measuring device that I have handy at the moment. I think the pic is clear enough but just in case, the outside diameter is 2 3/4" and the TB is approx. 3/32" thick.

What else do you want a picture of??

Mine appears to be the exact same one that EvoCarl has. I'll need to get something that measures in millimeters so that I can measure the intake ports to compare them with sd_ff22's measurements since his doesn't seem to have the EGR port or the extra nipple on the drivers side of the manifold.

Nevermind the question I had earlier. I realized the smaller increments are in conjunction with the top measurement standard (inches). So if you took the incorrect numbers I posted way back in post #61, the manifold ports would measure out as 1.0937 inches (or 1 and 3/32nds inches) by 2.2 inches (or 2 and 6.5/32nds inches).

What else do you want a picture of??

Mine appears to be the exact same one that EvoCarl has. I'll need to get something that measures in millimeters so that I can measure the intake ports to compare them with sd_ff22's measurements since his doesn't seem to have the EGR port or the extra nipple on the drivers side of the manifold.

If you can get measurements in inches, converting them to mm won't be a problem, just try & get as accurate as possible. If you use a tape or ruler, I like to start at 1" & measure from there, then just subtract 1" once you get the measurement. This way you don't have to worry about measuring errors at the start of the tape or ruler.

Looks like your's has a hole drilled through the flange, like some we have seen. Does it have threads in this locations?

Anthony, I probably won't be the first with data/logs. My car will be going away as soon as I get it back for getting a custom exhaust done, so mine won't be swapped/run till the spring.

Pretty sure thats a Evo 3 manifold right there :)

My throttle body is about 65mm internal measurement which looks like it tallys upto your one.

Pretty sure thats a Evo 3 manifold right there :)

My throttle body is about 65mm internal measurement which looks like it tallys upto your one.

YAY!!! Would it be safe to say that the EVO III manifolds have the EGR port and that maybe EVO I & II manifolds don't? Or, are we leaning more towards differences in the same year/model?

The reason that I ask this is because in the auction this manifold was listed as an EVO I but it appears to be the exact same manifold that Evo Carl has in his EVO III.

I don't know how much I can trust that this mani came off of an EVO I and not an EVO III. It just doesn't make sense that there would be that much inconsistancy between 3 versions of EVO's and between individual years.

....UNLESS. Different countries have different regulations?? I.E. Maybe EVO motors from Japan came w/o EGR ports due to not having a requirement that says that MUST have one. Where as an EVO produced for European countries might HAVE to have the EGR equipment to pass those regulations. This would be similar to the requirements for daytime running lights in the US and Canada.

welll when I blocked off my EGR I had to buy an Evo 1/2 pipe that runs into the inlet to replace my 3 one as they dont have the extra feed for the EGR, see one of my pictures in this thread :)

So far I havnt seen a Evo 1 or 2 with the EGR hole on the manifold, also havnt seen a Evo 3 without the EGR.

The EGR hole is bigger on the face and threaded right? :)

BTW just to confuse things I dont actually think there is any size differance between the Evo 1-3 manifolds, just differant vac locations and the EGR.

99% sure only the 3's have the EGR. MAYBE very very late Evo 2's

So far I havnt seen a Evo 1 or 2 with the EGR hole on the manifold, also havnt seen a Evo 3 without the EGR.
99% sure only the 3's have the EGR. MAYBE very very late Evo 2's
That's what I'm leaning towards... it seems to make the most sense really.
The EGR hole is bigger on the face and threaded right?
Yes... as mentioned a few posts back. The EGR port is bigger AND threaded on the face of the mani. I tried to take a picture of this last night, but for some reason the camera was being screwy.

Hey guys, I just saw this thread for the first time LOL I have no idea how I missed this but I'm in school right now and teacher is yapping away so I'm glad I saw this :p

Anyway, I'm also a proud owner of a Evo III manifold and is a great manifold. I have it matching with a 1g TB and I have a stage 3 head. I actually just dynoed my car last week and is making close to 500awhp dynojet numbers @ 27psi, no meth, no nitrous, no race gas, just 91 california pump gas :thumb:. I did dyno with race gas though and made over 600awhp dynojet numbers @ 31psi. It also helps that I have a heavy mod list.

Most dsmers in my position would have already upgraded to a SMIM but i'm still rocking the Evo III manifold :thumb: I will eventually get a SMIM though

Anthony, I upgraded my profile because you pointed out I didn't have the evo III manifold haha thanks for the fyi. Good to see some people getting a hold of this rare item. :dsm:

^^^ Any input from what's been discussed in this thread as far as the EGR port and the install?? Does your manifold have the EGR port? Are you still running the EGR or has it been blocked off?

I think he's talking about just using a bolt to plug the hole.
I picked mine up this morning. 60mm opening on the manifold for the throttle body. Throttle body appears to taper, 64mm opening to 60mm outlet. No EGR, No 5th nipple.
If you noticed in the auctions he said mine was from a '93 and yours a '94. Late '94 would be early '95, so yeah yours is probably an Evo3. Plus you have the newer style IAC - the black thing that you said you didn't know what it was. Mine came with the older tan one.
One last note on the throttle body-they appear exactly the same so I'd say yours is like mine- 64mm tapering to 60mm. Measure the back side - I bet it's slightly smaller.

I know there are discussions everywhere on tuners about the egr, but I have a question for you guys. ok so I have no provision for an egr in my manifold right? I do live in california but I am also AWD. lets say I leave it connected to vacume and electrical, will I get a cel or run into any other problems?
I would like to see a way to run the EGR that evocarl has shown that reroutes to IC piping instead of welding lines along the #4 runner and pastering an EGR flange to them.

what do you guys think?

^^^ Any input from what's been discussed in this thread as far as the EGR port and the install?? Does your manifold have the EGR port? Are you still running the EGR or has it been blocked off?

Sorry for the late respond Derek. Like I said on my previous post I was in school :)

My manifold didn't come with EGR, I actually bought it from a dsm shop owner along with the Stage 3 head he was selling and he inform me that the manifold didn't come with EGR. He said the Evo III manifolds from Japan dont come with EGR but don't quote me on that. I hope this helps, car runs fine without EGR. Is useful for emissions i think but my car is so highly modded that I don't really care about smog stuff and there's hook ups for that sorta thing :shhh:

:dsm:

Like I was saying, the throttle body that came with my IM actuates from the front rather than the back. 1G NT throttle body on the left (60mm) and wierd TB on the right(54mm) HMMM.

-Dan

I read about a Japanese minivan engine that looks like an Evo engine. http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267723&highlight=identify+evo+engine Yours is more than likely from one of these. - A funny note is that I just went to a shop a few days ago to diagnose some problems with a '98 GSX that had an "Evo swap" and it had a Td04turbo on it. Actually if I hadn't reread this thread from the beginning I wouldn't have noticed that the guy that bought the car probably got taken. I plan on pulling his TB when I go back to see if the opening is actually 54mm. I'll let you guys know. Maybe we can import some minivan manifolds and make a killing.ROFL

you know I was just looking at a "real JDM 4g63!!!" on ebay that had the same TB as the one i got. funny thing was that the turbo was a td04! I think we may have ANOTHER variable!

I agree with the above statement though. if the manifold is almost the same, there is no reason not to use it!

Search Mitsubishi RVR if you want to see the minivan. Note that there are several versions of the RVR. You may have to look at several to see the van version or even more yet to see the version with the 4g63.:)

No Evo came with a TD04 :)

I think some Evo 2's also had the Evo3 big 16g..

The mini van/rvr things you guys mentioned are these things :)

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Forgot to mention the closest thing to a Evo 1-3 with the TD04 is the lancer GSR's.

Same looking shell but with the 4g93T, put the Evo skirts on and it looks exactly the same :)

you guys have anything with this engine in?

No Evo came with a TD04 :)

I think some Evo 2's also had the Evo3 big 16g..

The mini van/rvr things you guys mentioned are these things :)

thats my TB! I have that same small golden plate on top of the TB that holds the throttle cable. I removed it because it was all bent up.

ok,ok so I have a minivan IM:cool:
I say again, same design. I don't care where it came from if it does the job just as well.

Wasn't trying to put your IM down, just trying to shed some more light. I just hope the guy that owns the '98 doesn't have a van engine. Maybe there's no difference between the engines, but somehow I don't think he'll take it too well.;)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back