The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Lancer Evolution III Intake Manifold

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

would love to see some pics of the wilson inside. what I did to me manifold is making runners shorter and plenum larger. the plenum on these is very small. and the humps inside are pretty substantial. I would say a step toward restricted compared to evo 8 mani which is similar but much improved in stock form. it is my theory you get close to zero gains porting runners. they are not a restriction. 95% of the gains are coming from improving the airs ability to make right hand turn inside the plenum. and making runners shorter which moves hp higher in rpm curve. my 2.3 hta green on FP2 cams picked up 35hp with no other changes. the cams smallish for a stroker it really like the manifold porting. there are back to back dynos of Maps rev 2 picking up 32whp. that work is porting only, not a cut open effort. I am not selling anything here. just reporting what happen with my setup. I was more than shocked at the gains myself. wasnt expecting much at all.

Last edited:
Bumping this up as I am now Evo 1-3/RVR manifold shopping. I have seen posts with folks referring to the JMF coil pack bracket but saying that it should work, may work, haven't seen any confirming that it does work. JMF site states that this won't fit with the stock manifold, so just wanted to make 100% sure. I noticed a member a few pages back made his own bracket modifying his 2g stock bracket, but I like that the JMF bracket has additional holes for the ignitor and other sensors.

...it works, I've personally done it on my own car running the Evo III IM.

You'll have to orient the coil pack's so the spark plug wire connections are facing away from the timing belt side of the motor, then run your spark plug wires between the runners of the IM.

I fabbed mine up myself. The coil pack, tach interface and power transistor all fit real nice.

Attachments

• 20150502_153213_resized.jpg
    20150502_153213_resized.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 298
  • 20150502_152916_resized.jpg
    20150502_152916_resized.jpg
    369 KB · Views: 274
  • 20150502_153133_resized.jpg
    20150502_153133_resized.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 283
  • 20150502_160353_resized_1.jpg
    20150502_160353_resized_1.jpg
    342.7 KB · Views: 324
1g guys dont need a special bracket for any intake manifold. Shaving the corner of the motor mount slightly and cutting an arm off the stock bracket allows the coil pack to be mounted on the motor mount self next to the strut tower. Offers a much cleaner look, imo.

That's good info!^^ I was lucky to get the matching bracket when I got my manifold. Also, this manifold does kick ass, as we've seen for 29 pages in this thread.

I wouldn't pay more than $50 for one though because it's still an oem manifold made out of aluminum, it's not magic, no unicorn dust was used in making it, so it's not worth the fortune that some people ask for it. Ridiculous really.

I wouldn't pay more than $50 for one though because it's still an oem manifold made out of aluminum, it's not magic, no unicorn dust was used in making it, so it's not worth the fortune that some people ask for it. Ridiculous really.

When you consider that these have a great streetable powerband & have gone 8s and compare to the cost of an aftermarket intake, they are a bargain at $150-250.

I fabbed a batch of brackets that copied the OEM one, except they had mounting provision for 90, 91-94, and 95-up USDM coils. I sold them all awhile ago, but I could do another run if there were enough interest. I'm also running the NGK plug wires for an EVO 3, makes it look a lot cleaner.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I almost went with 90* boots and will on the next set of wires to keep them from rubbing the hood. I don't know if a stock bracket would clear my '90 tach interface that's why I fabbed up my own. :thumb:

I dunno, I just don't think they're worth that cost because it's an OEM part... there is literally nothing special about that manifold other than it has shorter runners and a smaller plenum than the 2g turbo manifold most people replace with it. This yields better top end power than a USDM manifold but cannot touch a properly designed SMIM.

I dunno, you guys can pay high prices for stock parts if you want.... I'm just not going to do it... I'd be interested in a bracket if you make some more.

Curious, where did you order them from & what was their cost? I wanted to change my wires & was looking for the EvoIII NGK wires but didn't have any luck finding a source for them, so ended up going with Magnecor EvoIII wires instead.

Ebay, was like $120 shipped from Australia.

Agreed with 94awdcoupe. There would be a threaded portion on the backside for a bango-style bolt that the EGR valve pictures below would connect to:

Can anyone tell me what is port is for as its been filled in. I've seen it on the stock and evo manifold but it doesn't go all the way though.
That could be because its an evo 1/2 manifold! The 3's are the only ones with egr ready, mine is exactly the same and is blocked and it came from a 2. No big issue just means you dont need a plug for it

That could be because its an evo 1/2 manifold! The 3's are the only ones with egr ready, mine is exactly the same and is blocked and it came from a 2. No big issue just means you dont need a plug for it

Looks like it my be from a 1/2 because there is no threaded part for the egr.

Attachments

• 20151126_101246.jpg
    20151126_101246.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 176
  • 20151126_101233.jpg
    20151126_101233.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 154
  • 20151126_101306.jpg
    20151126_101306.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 157
If its flush on the inside mating surface its a 1/2 if its not flush on the inside and is stepped then its been welded, here is a pic on mine

Attachments

• IMAG0183.jpg
    IMAG0183.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 136
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back