The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

1G Lack in power

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat026

Proven Member
Nov 27, 2016
Milford, Pennsylvania
so I’ve recently fixed a ton on my 1g but it seems as I get on the throttle the car hesitates it feels like I hit a wall it jerks and backfires it throws a cel light for a split second but I’m not sure what I’m looking to fix first because I don’t know what it is, can’t tell if it’s knock or a misfire or a combination I just changed the plugs out as well as the noisy lifters. I recently did a boost leak test and nothings leaking on the compressor side I’m just hoping nothing in the motor is damaged like valves I do hear ticking still but can’t figure out where it’s coming from my compression was around 160 across

However if there was resistance it would have to be very small wouldn’t it? Technically a but splice wouldn’t be able to transfer a full current because the current flows through the strands and when there crimped not all the strands come in contact with the connector but I highly doubt that would be causing the hesitation

The flashing cel is likely to be set up to show knock counts and display a cel above a certain level of knock, I wouldnt drive it with that light flashing just in case but if you soldered anything on a knock sensor I would just replace it, if its stock its likely junk 30 years later anyway.

Found the problem exhaust manifold/turbocharger gasket leak used the shop vac in reverse through the tailpipe sprayed soapy water on the manifold and I bubbles up a lot on the corners I assume a gasket failure found it through the ticking, can this cause knock however?

Yes that will certainly be the source of EXTRA ticking, an exhaust leak. The o2 sensor is right inside your o2 housing, so an exhaust leak is hurting the A/F mixture.

Order some new turbo to manifold bolts & a nice SS gasket for the exhaust manifold AND the head to Exhaust manifold.

Most gaskets you can only crush once or twice.

ExtremePSI.com if you don't already know about them. They take around two or 3 days to deliver to me. Should be quicker to you.

I think I have a spair turbo gasket but need a manifold gasket I’ll be sure to order em tonight so I mean I guess that could be why it bucks at a higher rpm now that I think after I changed my manifold out I was experiencing that well thanks guys!

Uncheck the "disable airflow smoothing" under the misc tab. You enable that if you're running speed density. Unlick the "disable maf compensation with speed density" under maf comp tab for same reason.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back