The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Knukle weight reduction

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWHTanK

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 23, 2011
Odessa, Missouri
Has anyone thought about having the 2g dsm knukles cnc out billet aluminum? It would probably cost alot? Or a magnisum alloy of sorts.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I think we all have, i had mine scanned and it would be around 2-3k per set based on material and time to set up and even then thats based off of a few sets being made at a time! And to be honest the group would be super thin to get that so the cost would not get as low.

Is that for all 4 ? And what matierial type? If it could be done in a magnisum alloy the weight loss would be significant and probably worth it along with doing the front lca's.

Is that for all 4 ? And what matierial type? If it could be done in a magnisum alloy the weight loss would be significant and probably worth it along with doing the front lca's.
Thats just the front pair! The rear would be similer i assume, i only got quoted and went no further as i cant afford to do it LOL,

Why mag alloy? It has a very high risk of fire and plus alot of places wont allow it because of its risks! Motorsport santions wont allow it either (over here at least) i would rsther cast that if it was to be done!

Alloy would be a 7075 and it wont be the same shape as the oem knuckle as it needs reinforcement areas so shape will be different so its not as simple as copy the knuckle!

Heres a link to Magnus's 2g dsm Billet Wheel Hub. >>> http://magnusmotorsports.com/products/chassis/magnus-billet-wheel-hub/

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I would be all about blowing a few grand on billet wheel hubs if they were for a 1G.
On Facebook there is a group titled "1g DSM aluminum Knuckles". I tried multiple times prolly a year ago to join, but the invitation notification still says pending. It shows 159 members with Joe Bucci as the administrator, and the group description says "Lets put our heads together to help Jake design the aluminum steering knuckles." Wish I could get in and see what they came up with, Hell I may have even invested $ to see it finished.

Not really bolt on so by the time you have oaid for custom subframe work and got arms made its going to be alot more then a few grand to complete! The idea has crossed my mind to use these but they alot of work to get done right and time and not alot of folks have the time, patience or the funds to do such a modification!

Well the magnisum allloys are used in cars today still from radiator supports, seat brackets, and transfer cases and more both foreign and domestic. Also aircraft use it.

Its not like u can take lighter and burn it. Its about how big the part is. If its like a paint chip or so then yes,but then again a knuckle is thick part. Also 7075 and magnisum dont stand up to the elements well and will corrode. So have the magnisum parts ceramic coated . And should help prevent a high temp fire from consuming the part ? Just a idea

the 7075 gets anodised to prevent this, its never left exposed,

magnesium when machined does burn but im not too up on the alloy spec side of it

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back