The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G knock sensor circuit malfunction

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathan_spindler55

Proven Member
Jan 22, 2013
great falls, Montana
like the title says i have this coming up in link and need to figure out whats wrong. anybody ever have this problem and can point me in the right direction, maybe my 6 bolt has the wrong sensor. all my wiring is stock. any ideas code im getting is PO325 knock sensor 1 circuit malfunction.

ya i have been searching and im hoping its not my ecu because i daily my car and would have to send it in. im going to do some investigating when i have some free time. need to look at the sensor and see if i even have the correct one.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

this is what my sensor looks like no visable wire damage but its like oozing that black stuff out haha.[DOUBLEPOST=1411613404][/DOUBLEPOST]so what do you guys think my sensor shot or what? looks about half impossible to get to.

Last edited:
It's done.
Buy a new one.
Sensor's should be all sealed in the back and not oozing like that.

When mine looked like that, i got mine out with a crescent wrench by just reaching from behind the INT manifold.
But it's more easier to put the thing on jackstands and do the replacement from underneath since it's a clean shot to the sensor.

And, disconnect the negative cable prior to disconnecting the old one, and connect the cable after the new one is installed.

-DSM

ya im sure its not spose to look like that. ill order up a new one and try it out.[DOUBLEPOST=1411683901][/DOUBLEPOST]ok so been searching and cannot find an answer. i have a 6 bolt in my 95 so which knock sensor should i use. i read that your suppose to use a 1g. but then i read that you need the right one to match your ecu. im about to order a new one so i would like to get the right one.

Last edited:
You have a 1g sensor in there, but you will want to buy a replacement 2g sensor. The sensor is bad, but just loosing the filler will not cause that code. The code you are getting is from an open circuit. This means that either the actual coil inside the sensor has failed, or that there is a break in the wire at some point. You need a new sensor anyway, so it should be replaced, but i would go ahead and check for continuity in that sensor for the time being to make sure that the circuit is in fact open thru the sensor.

Do you have a multi meter? If your unsure how to use it (what setting, where to put leads) let us know, no shame. I'm actually thinking of doing a write up on basic electrical testing if anyone thinks it would be helpful.

Do you have a multi meter? If your unsure how to use it (what setting, where to put leads) let us know, no shame. I'm actually thinking of doing a write up on basic electrical testing if anyone thinks it would be helpful.

That would probably be a good idea man. There are so many people that don't know just how simple that electrical testing is when you get the concept of continuity and resistance testing down. A lot of people out there also don't understand just how useful even the cheapest multimeter is. I used to have a higher dollar one years ago, but it got wet and died, than i bought the cheap 8 dollar harbor freight one about 6 years ago and have used the crap out of it. Just this year the leads wore out so instead of buying new leads i just bought another, this time with a back light. My multimeter (regardless of brand) is always the mu

That's true, I'm gonna comb thru my papers from U.T.I and put together something decent. Would appreciate your help and input, and anyone else that has a good idea.:sneaky:

yes i do have a multimeter. got it for christmas actually LOL. but im just now getting into using it instead of just guessing whats wrong i can actually check it. but still learning the settings and what not.

so today i put in my new 2g knock sensor and reset my battery and so far the circuit malfuction code has gone away and has not come back. either the coil failed on the sensor or my 2g ecu could not read the 1g sensor.

mine is oozing too but I don't have a code could it still be working properly

If it is leaking than it isn't working properly. The goo is a an insulator that absorbs vibration, it will pick up everything as knock with the goo melted out.

I would order the beck/arnley from rockauto. They are like 40 bucks, and are mitsubishi oem sensor reboxed.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back