1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kiggly Style Modded Oil Pump Pickup Service

Posted by bastarddsm, Apr 22, 2018

Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. bastarddsm

bastarddsm Supporting Vendor

Joined Aug 26, 2003
    Mendota, Illinois
    On kiggly's site he talks about oil systems, and how good 60's can uncover the oil pump pickup and allow your pump to suck air, and starve the engine for oil. This causes all sorts of bad stuff - oil pump failures and bearing failures. The remedy is pretty easy, cover the front half of the oil pump, the difficulty is few are equipped to do the job right. Don't let your buddy fill the pickup with slag and splatter from his Harbor Freight Flux Core Welder, send it in and let a professional do it. I'll hand form a steel cover, and then cleanly tig weld it in place. Not leaving any weld buggers to come loose and destroy your precious new motor. The service is $50 including return shipping via priority mail.

oil pickup.jpg

My DSM:
    1991 Eagle Talon N/T

Showcar Build

9.805 @ 144.00 MPH
    Teezy, b00stedtalon2, 19gsx91 and 7 others like this.
  2. Kapok6

Kapok6 Proven Member

Joined Aug 10, 2004
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Nice dude! Would this work or even be able to be done on a 2g pickup? (that's what I have switched to using)

My DSM:
    Kapok6 1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

Street Build

11.3 @ 130.75 MPH
  3. bastarddsm

Joined Aug 26, 2003
    Mendota, Illinois
    I have no idea, haven't had a 2g pickup in my hands. It looks like this could be done on a 2g pickup. I didn't know 1g's were discontinued.

My DSM:
    1991 Eagle Talon N/T

Showcar Build

9.805 @ 144.00 MPH
  4. turbotalon1g

turbotalon1g Proven Member

Joined Oct 19, 2005
    Blaine, Minnesota
    What's the difference between the 2?
    Also looking at Kiggly's page he covers most of the pickup, almost reverse of what you have. I'd say after doing my own as a very novice welder, I'd happily pay your reasonable priced service.

My DSM:
    1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Drag Race Build

11.333 @ 119.94 MPH
  5. bastarddsm

Joined Aug 26, 2003
    Mendota, Illinois
    No real difference between mine and the picture on kiggly's page. He just covered more of it than I did. His probably will keep the pickup covered under a harder launch than mine. I covered less as I wanted more screen exposed for oil flow. Mines been tested for 3 seasons without flaw. I will gladly cover more of the pickup if requested.

My DSM:
    1991 Eagle Talon N/T

Showcar Build

9.805 @ 144.00 MPH
  6. lasthope05

lasthope05 Proven Member

Joined Mar 31, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    You could probably cover up over 80% of the screen and still be fine. Have you ever seen an evo pickup? They have a tiny inlet.

turbotalon1g likes this.
  7. Archer Fabrications

Archer Fabrications Supporting Vendor

Joined May 9, 2011
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    You could use an evo one and it would probably be better. Just cut and weld. Already has a pickup design similar to kiggleys method

My DSM:
    1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

Drag Race Build

11.128 @ 132.5 MPH
  8. OH91awd

OH91awd Proven Member

Joined Sep 22, 2011
    chillicothe, Ohio
    hmmmmm... might have to send you one soon for the motor im gonna put together.

My DSM:
    1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Drag Race Build

10.89 @ 125.67 MPH
    1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (sold)

Street Build

GT35   manual
  9. Crackerman

Crackerman Probationary Member

Joined Feb 28, 2018
    Alvord, Texas
    I'm sure I could help you out with that Ryan.

Kapok6 likes this.