The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

1G Just got my first dsm car. need some help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tittiesmcgee

Probationary Member
Jun 2, 2016
milroy, Pennsylvania
You guys know anywhere where I can buy just one piston? I've checked all the local yards, I don't want to pay 600$ for a set LOL are the pistons interchangeable from 1st to second gen?

90 tsi awd arp head studs, bc 272 cams, garret precision turbo, intercooler, high flow rails, some other stuff

Check a local Mistu dealer, they sometimes can sell single pistons. The pistons are pressed pin stock which makes them really hard to get off the rod without cracking the piston skirts so used may be difficult unless you get the 6 bolt piston-rod assembly.

Check a local Mistu dealer, they sometimes can sell single pistons. The pistons are pressed pin stock which makes them really hard to get off the rod without cracking the piston skirts so used may be difficult unless you get the 6 bolt piston-rod assembly.
The car jumped timing because the tensioner failed bent the valves and made a whole smack in the middle of the number 1 piston the size of my pinky finger, The bores are fine, I know I probably sound like an idiot. But Think the crank and connecting rod is okay? Will it make it harder to get out? Thank you for your reply, there's no mitsu dealers around here but I found a place that sells them.

Wow. Well normally if the piston and valves took that much damage you didn't hurt a connecting rod or the crank. It shouldn't really make anything harder to disassemble but you need to thoroughly clean the crank case and find the chunk of piston. If it finds its way to a bearing surface then you'll need to rebuild the whole bottom end.

check a local pick and pull you will find dsm once in a while. I say buy a new set of pistons, better safe than sorry, and might as well change the rings since you will be pulling rods out.

I'll post some pictures of the piston on this thread tomorrow. LOL I've never seen anything like it, I've worked in a garage my whole life. Thank you all for your advice, it's appreciated.

anyone know if there's a difference in thefriction plates between a fwd 1st gen and an awd turbo 1st gen?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

There's no way in hell the bore is fine if the piston and head look like that. Pics of the bore, please.

For a deal, just keep an eye on the classifieds. I see used pistons on rods pop up from time to time. You'll just have to wait it out for a deal if you want to save a few bucks.

Lol I'm make sure to get the pictures for you in the am. I was amazed as you will be when you see there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. not even a scratch LOL

It let go at redline on 15lbs of boost LOL but somebody should tell me what kind of cams these are

Stamped K A with D1 on the side with the A. The timing gear side. Also a notch on K side with a line stamped by it?

Holy f*ck. Dunno how you managed to squeeze by unharmed, but seriously if I were you, I'd save for a new 6 bolt and go from there.

You will also need to get a turbo I can guarantee your turbine wheel is also damaged from debris. This type of damage is not your typical jump timing and you bent some valves the damage to that piston lead me to believe that you ran the car for a good minute thinking you had a common misfire. When there is a timing jump episode the car stops running immediately and all the valves on the intake side are damaged at least this is what I have seen over the years. Did you by chance over rev the car? I asked because some years ago I had something similar to happen I think it the valve springs couldn't handle the 8800 rpm redline during a third gear pull I heard a tap tap and the car started to misfire I drove it to the shop and pull the valve cover and notice I was missing a couple of rockers I knew something was wrong and pulled the head to see the damage in the video. So I am speaking from personal experience. You have more damage than meets the eye. A valve guides with that impact is likely to be damaged as well.

Last edited:
You will also need to get a turbo I can guarantee your turbine wheel is also damaged from debris. This type of damage is not your typical jump timing and you bent some valves the damage to that piston lead me to believe that you ran the car for a good minute thinking you had a common misfire. When there is a timing jump episode the car stops running immediately and all the valves on the intake side are damaged at least this is what I have seen over the years. Did you by chance over rev the car? I asked because some years ago I had something similar to happen I think it the valve springs couldn't handle the 8800 rpm redline during a third gear pull I heard a tap tap and the car started to misfire I drove it to the shop and pull the valve cover and notice I was missing a couple of rockers I knew something was wrong and pulled the head to see the damage in the video. So I am speaking from personal experience. You have more damage than meets the eye. A valve guides with that impact is likely to be damaged as well.

thanks man, the first thing I checked was all the valves and lifters and rockers. Some of the springs collapsed on themselves and a better portion of the valves that were left were bent. Whoever had the car before me had no clue what they were doing. I'm not very familiar with these cars yet, but My assumption was that there was spike in pressure. Combined with the timing issue, from where or what I have no clue. I recently bought a new head, springs, retainers, rockers, and bigger cams, think they're 280's. pistons, rod bearings, studs, all the gaskets, and some secret things LOL a new clutch and pressure plate while i'm down there. But I Have the g16 to put back on, an sbr was on it, not only id it ruin the turbine but also the bearings in the chra. Should be in the shop this week. I'll post some pictures and video links of the old girl on here. when she's done. should be by the weekend.

thanks man, the first thing I checked was all the valves and lifters and rockers. Some of the springs collapsed on themselves and a better portion of the valves that were left were bent. Whoever had the car before me had no clue what they were doing. I'm not very familiar with these cars yet, but My assumption was that there was spike in pressure. Combined with the timing issue, from where or what I have no clue. I recently bought a new head, springs, retainers, rockers, and bigger cams, think they're 280's. pistons, rod bearings, studs, all the gaskets, and some secret things LOL a new clutch and pressure plate while i'm down there. But I Have the g16 to put back on, an sbr was on it, not only id it ruin the turbine but also the bearings in the chra. Should be in the shop this week. I'll post some pictures and video links of the old girl on here. when she's done. should be by the weekend.
Cool it appears that you are definitely on top of the situation! Looking forward to seeing her run again.

Long story short none of it went well NONE. It was like someone asked me to read Latin. I've never messed with anything other than SB and bb motors. I've never laid a finger on an import. However... Pistons changed. Rings. Bearing. Head. Cams. Springs. Valves. Studs. Etc. She's sitting in the car!. Just have to torque the bolts and hook up all the coolant lines and my intake. I'll probably end up asking some questions. If yah don't mind.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20160717_0002.png
    wp_ss_20160717_0002.png
    230.7 KB · Views: 61
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back