The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Just bought a '97 TSi, need help with ECU tuning

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

savethehair

Probationary Member
May 22, 2018
Ann Arbor, Michigan
I just bought my first DSM, a 1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD and am looking for a general sense of what I should tackle first in starting to throw money towards it. The previous owner has already started modifying it so I wanted some knowledge on what parts I should upgrade in addition to some questions on ECU tuning. The previous owner had started tuning it himself and I want to be able to pick up roughly where he left off. Right now it's running a '99 Eclipse flashable ECU and he's giving me a tactrix cable to plug in so I was wondering if I could get some help understanding a few things.

First off, he said he was converting it to speed density and I've done research and understand what speed density is but was curious on some of the actual setting up steps. It has everything it needs to be switched over to speed density except for the 3/4-Bar sensor which I have already ordered. Once the sensor arrives, do I just plug it in to the appropriate ports/spots and then use ECMLink/ECUFlash to convert it to speed density? Right now it has a MAF Translator so would I use this for speed density?

On another note, the previous owner said that the car right now is hitting fuel cut at 6psi boost so my question is, do I wait and convert it to speed density and then try to sort out the fuel mapping issue or try to figure out the fuel issue now on the flashable ECU? I'm a total newb to all this kind of information regarding tuning so I'm quite overwhelmed with everything. So far I've gathered that you have maps that represent RPMs and other variables and you can edit these maps to be more desirable values to increase power.

I'm confused on how one would go about finding how, where, and what is causing fuel cut (is this done by data logging?) and then how you would correct this. I want to start to learn exactly what ECU tuning consists of and how I can take advantage of it. If there are any links that break down ECU tuning for dummies or step by steps that show how you find issues and correct them that would be appreciated. I don't even know how you flash/reflash yet so I've got lots and lots to learn.

To sum it all up; I dont know much about ECU tuning and want to learn how you can find issues (specifically for me the fuel cut at 6psi) and how you can edit data on the ECU to fix these issues. Similarly, I want to know how speed density may alter this process. Videos, other threads, or in depth explanations all will help. I'm researching and reading more and more everyday and hoping to finally start to grasp this concept and am excited to learn.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back