The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G JDM/EDM Tail Differences

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keep your eye on Ebay! I see them on every once in a while. I'm currently trying to come across a cheap set of 2g Eclipse EDM Tails for my new toy.
your right i found a pair this morning on ebay i got lucky just a little chips at the ends of the corners but i took them anyways you can hardly tell should be getting them in a week or so : D
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Im soon looking to swap my spare set of euros with a set of jdm non fog units if anyone wants to trade

Bumping an older thread but finally got to look at a pair of these EDM tail lights. My car's up on jack stands with no transmission so it's tough to get a nice shot but here they are installed, I like them so far.

If you look closely the "fog light" everyone in this thread keeps talking about is the inside light (closest to the center piece). It's hard to tell by the picture but it is brighter, not because it's a brighter light but there's just a chrome backing on the inside of the housing that reflects better.

About some of you guys saying that never saw in Europe rear fog lights and other yes, I can tell that in Brazil we imported two of those configurations: the 1995 was USDM style and the 1998 was JDM style.

So, the 1995 have the tail all red with the 21W filament of three bulbs working for break and turnsignal (blocking brake function the side you want to turn).

And the 1998 have the tail red/amber with the outside bulb exclusive for turnsignal (amber) and the inside two bulbs for break (red).

I have a 1998 (JDM) and I want to do the opposite of you. I want to convert it from JDM to USDM lights scheme: break and turnsignal using the same all three bulbs. I already have the USDM tailights installed, but blinking only the outside bulb, not really visible.

Is there any DIY with pictures of how to do it step by step? If there's is a DIY for a USDM-JDM convertion, I believe my case is just to do the opposite, right?

Thank you.

Thanks ec17pse. Will take those pannels off and do some voltage reading on that flasher connections. I'm affraid the brake wiring don't reach the flasher, but go straight from the pedal to the tails. But this made me think that JDM-USDM convertion is easier do get done, since there are two different wiring to the tail, instead of just one (US style).

Also found this, with pictures: http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/eclipse-to-talon-tail-light-wire-conversion.455603/

I'll write to you as soon as I figure something out.

Again, thank you very much my friend, I now have somewhere to start from.

Every housing has 3 bulbs in, factory USDM uses all 3 to light up and signal, J spec and EDM all use 2 for brakes and 1 for signal, the signal bulb is never used for braking on the euro ones.

The stock all red tails i believe use all 3 as a signal for turning. Its been a while since i have used the oem setup LOL so forgive me im in wrong. But they have dual filament bulbs like what brake bulbs are normally like,

Every housing has 3 bulbs in, factory USDM uses all 3 to light up and signal, J spec and EDM all use 2 for brakes and 1 for signal, the signal bulb is never used for braking on the euro ones.
The stock all red tails i believe use all 3 as a signal for turning. Its been a while since i have used the oem setup LOL so forgive me im in wrong. But they have dual filament bulbs like what brake bulbs are normally like,

The us spec units use the two inner bulbs as brake lights and turn signals. The third outer bulb is used only as a parking light and is only a single filament that does not light up or flash with brake lights. They come on only to illuminate as parking lights. They do this to simply have 1 bulb that will out last the other 2, since the turn and brake see constant use and US spec vehicles are driven on average longer distances and longer periods of time than in other places of the world.

The EDM brake fog light is ment to be brighter for driving in European areas that do not have street lights and area that suffer from very poor visibility. They also have much stricter headlight aiming laws for safety purposes

If you're just going to run the all red tail lights on an EDM wired car you could just run them as is or wire in the two center lights off of the 1 flasher wire on the end bulb. I would use LED bulbs in the center two bulbs to draw less current off of the signal wire for the flasher on the center brake bulbs. (This is on the euro spec cars)

Last edited:
I knew it has been a while since i had my all red units and the usdm wiring, but since writing my reply i do remember alot more of it now haha, i knew someone would correct me

I turned on the 5W filament of the outer bulb to the inner two, that way I have parking light on all three bulbs. But to make the turnsignal and brake work together the 21W filament of the two inner (or all three) bulbs, I believe I have to work in the flasher área. I have a guess that the turnsignal switch kind of block the brake signal the side you want to turn, through a relay or something. Got to open it and take a look.

I did the convertion from JDM to USDM taillights, making the turn signal overwrite the brake signal in the bulbs the side you want to turn. It's not an easy thing to do if you're not a professional like myself, specially if you don't want to cut any stock wire, but if someone wants it too, I can help. Basically JDMs and I believe EDMs too, work with a 3-prong rellay, while USDM work with a 10-prong unit. If you don't have the 10-prong unit available, there is a way to do a circuit using 5 5-prong rellays resulting a huge mess of wires but possible. Also involves wiring modifications between brake pedal switch, hazzard switch, turnsignal switch and taillight bulbs.

Edit: I'm not a professional, actually I'm pretty bad at electrics/electronics, had blown up some fuses during this job :heystupid:

Last edited:
I did the convertion from JDM to USDM taillights, making the turn signal overwrite the brake signal in the bulbs the side you want to turn. It's not an easy thing to do if you're not a professional like myself, specially if you don't want to cut any stock wire, but if someone wants it too, I can help. Basically JDMs and I believe EDMs too, work with a 3-prong rellay, while USDM work with a 10-prong unit. If you don't have the 10-prong unit available, there is a way to do a circuit using 5 5-prong rellays resulting a huge mess of wires but possible. Also involves wiring modifications between brake pedal switch, hazzard switch, turnsignal switch and taillight bulbs.

What? Just splice the turn signal into the brake lights and put in a blocking diode before the splice. Why do all that extra work.

Tell me about it man! If there's a simpler solution I'd go for it. Although I did a nice job (modesty apart), simpler is better.
I'm not very familiar to electrics/electronics, so help me to understand how this work.
I suppouse to put the diode before the splice in the brake wires, not turnsignal wires, right?
So I was thinking: :hmm:
1) Right Turnsignal OFF / Brakes ON: brake signal pass through diodes and both side bulbs light static. The 3-prong rellay will blocks itself the brake signal that powers back through splices the turnsignal wire and won't get triggered. OK;
2) Right Turnsignal ON / Brakes OFF: right bulbs flash and left bulbs stay off. Right diode blocks the right turnsignal to power back through splice the brake wires, avoiding left bulbs to flash too. OK;

3) Right Turnsignal ON / Brakes ON: my guess is left and right bulbs will light static. In the meantime two flashes of the right turnsignal, the bulbs will be powered by the brake signal, standind on all the time. Maybe they'll glow slightly brighter during the flash because there'll be two power supplies, but definately not noticeable in the traffic.
Please correct me if I'm missing something here.

Last edited:
You're right. I didnt really think about both being on at the same time. At the end you'd have to run multiple relays to feed and disable the tails and turn signal together.

I quickly thought about using a single relay to have the brake lights always connected and have the flasher disable/float the feed when ever activated but then using the turn signals normally wouldn't work. As you'd have to run a second relay. The simplest I can think of is two relays at each tail to have it function correctly.

Yep, i had tested this possibility on a bench. It works, but the taillight will flash the opposite the front/dash/fender lights flash.
Going ahead with this, I tryed to connect a second flasher relay on the wires that go to the taillights, switching a NC/NO relay another 12V source, the way to reverse the reversed tail flashing (MAN, THAT'S HARD TO WRITING DOWN!), synchronizing to the front ones: it kind of delayed a very little.
...and I also gave a shot replacing the second flasher relay capacitor with other Farad's numbers: still nothing to thrill. Maybe there's a way, but at this point It was to far away from my knowledge.

The only way to block continuosly the brake signal in a NO/NC 5-prong relay during a turnsignal (an intermitent signal) is using a continuos signal straight from the turnsignal switch. As you said, 2 relays each side would do the trick plus one for the hazzard lights switch: so 5 relays. I did it on a bench and worked, but it result such an ugly mess, oh dear!

Real sorry to bring up an old thread here... but I read somewhere there is no modification for putting in EDM tails in a talon?

Talon vs eclipse taillight wiring is different correct? Is it the same process to swap Talon to Eclipse lights and vis versa?

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back