The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Jake Montgomery's Evil_Eagle Top Mount T4

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sexy. I like the dash swap, engine bay is clean enough to eat off of :) I think the turbo header looks great with only one exception, the cylinder-head flange would be better with releif cuts in it inbetween each exhaust port. With releif cuts it gives the flange some wiggle room to expand and shrink under hot-cold-hot-cold. With out the cuts its more likely to one day warp, or even worse crack. I like the set-up tho. GOOD JOB MAN!

Looking awesome. Mind if I ask what all is new to the car? Or is it basically everything? Lol. A full mod list would sure be nice. Compression ratio? I already know what rods and crank....since I have the same ones sitting in my bedroom floor next to my bed ;) 4G64 crank though of course.

Your car is sick. I'm super jealous of your engine bay as well.

Is this the same manifold? This was at MAP during their Boost 4 Boobies event. I'm not going to lie.. I pondered how fast I could roll that stand out to my getaway vehicle.
;)

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Looking awesome. Mind if I ask what all is new to the car? Or is it basically everything? Lol. A full mod list would sure be nice. Compression ratio? I already know what rods and crank....since I have the same ones sitting in my bedroom floor next to my bed ;) 4G64 crank though of course.

Everything is new. but here is the run down of the mods

~Motor~
arias custom made 10.1 compression pistons
FFWD vader aluminum rods
stock 2.0l crank
kiggly main girdle
ARP main studs
H11 head studs
MAP heavy duty beehive valve springs and retainers
super tech standard size valves
super tech bronze guides
port work by me
kelford 280 cams

~drivetrain~
2g auto trans with all kiggly internals
kiggly flexplate with adapter kit
precision converter
DSS 3.5" HD driveshaft

~intake/turbo~
JMfabrications drag version intake manifold
Forced performance HTA105 turbo
tial BOV
JMfabrications 4" thick garret core FMIC
3" upper and lower I/C piping
Q45 throttle body
single fogger nitrous express kit (75 shot to start off and will bump up to 100-150shot)

~exhaust~
twin tial 38mm MVS gates
MAPerformance t4 divided top mount manifold
4" side exit exhaust

~Fuel~
MagnaFuel ProStar 750 fuel pump
FIC 2150cc injectors
-10an fuel feed
-8an fuel return
JMfab fuel cell
E98 fuel
Fuel lab AFPR

~electronics/ignition~
MSD DIS II
AEM EMS version 1
300m COP
autometer gauges

There's more but that's the list that matters.:thumb:

Your car is sick. I'm super jealous of your engine bay as well.

Is this the same manifold? This was at MAP during their Boost 4 Boobies event. I'm not going to lie.. I pondered how fast I could roll that stand out to my getaway vehicle.
;)

haha yup!, that is the same manifold! And my turbo!:thumb:

Last edited:
Quick update, car is done and ready for action. Going to go do some testing at our local track on the 21st of this month (this Saturday) So far the converter is on the tight side but I have yet to stall test it with the nitrous, so we will see how well it stalls up with the nitrous soon. I may have to pull the converter out and have it loosened up. We shall see soon enough.

I did however do a couple of test pulls at 33lbs, and wow, this FP HTA105 is nuts! I can't believe how it feels on just 33lbs. Can't wait to feel it at 40+. Car runs awesome, shifts awesome, and seems to be making a good amount of power for such little tune time and boost level.

Quick video of it running and making sure it shifted properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM7mGGTv3-s

I'll update this saturday how the 1st outing goes, I don't expect it to do any crazy numbers the 1st outing since it will be all for test and tune and getting things dialed in.

Great to see such a DSM icon back to life, cannot wait to hear the results. Hope the converter works out to avoid down time. Good luck. Sounds BEAST!

Great color combo under the hood except that red motor mount looks out of place. Sweet car overall.

How much power did it make?

No dyno numbers as of yet, everything is being dialed in either on a side road or at the track as we do not have an AWD dyno near us.

Great color combo under the hood except that red motor mount looks out of place. Sweet car overall.

Thanks, and yes, the motor mount drives me nuts! I'm going to be changing that soon.

Any update on track times or converter performance? What is the stall on the converter?

Sorry, I've been extremely busy with work and getting the talon done. But the motor is in, everything is ready, just need to get the exhaust work fabbed up then I can fire this pig up and get to testing! But here are some photos, I actually got the car back on the ground today, it's been the 1st time the car has seen the ground in over 5 years!:thumb: Was a pretty exciting moment for me haha.

I can't believe its been over 5 years.... Time flies.

Great to see you back, Jake. I still think it's funny though back in the day on DSMTalk when you were having all those issues with the dogbox, I mentioned you should go auto and you were(in a nice way) like "Nah, it'll never be Auto". LOL. Glad to see you've joined the dark side!

Sorry it's been so long updating this, been hella busy with the car and life LOL.

I've had a couple problems with the car since I got it running, ended up smoking the turbo some how after 10 passes, but it went 9.1@154mph with a lazy 1.5 60ft. Put a new turbo on it last week and went to las vegas for IFO which I won the FIP class, but with a hurt head gasket. Car went 9.09@152mph letting off just before the 1000ft. due to the head gasket issues I was having all day, but we needed to go rounds so we limped it all day long. Car leaves much better now with more boost on the stall, cuts low 1.4 60ft.s now and that was on a slick track.

The converter I had loosened up a tad, when it was new I could only get it to come up to 4200rpm and 8lbs of boost. Had it loosened up and it now comes up to 4700rpm and flashes to 5100rpm and makes about 14-15lbs of boost within 0.7 tenths to 1 second.

I just got back home from vegas so I haven't had a chance to check out the car and inspect the damages the head gasket failure caused. But I will yank the head off some time this week when I get a chance.

The auto swap has definitely been a learning experience, and when I get a chance I will post my findings and thoughts about it.

Did ya stick with the same turbo? And vids or none of it happened. Lol.

Before you get a full pass in, what are your predictions for a full healthy pass?

I'm want to say around 8.70ish, but you've surprised me before LOL

Hard telling what it will run on a healthy pass. My 2nd pass in vegas the increments were showing the car was heading for a 8.6x pass.
1.43 60ft
3.71 330ft
5.64 1/8th
mph 127.8
Then I lifted off the throttle and coasted to a 9.4 @115mph LOL.
And I still have not made a nitrous pass, only using nitrous to stall it up and shuts off at 36lbs (half way through 1st gear)

I haven't been able to really crank up the boost past 45lbs, that pass that was heading to a 8.6 pass was 45lbs. I turned it down after that to limp it through the rest of the event since the head gasket was pretty hurt at that point.

And no it was not on the same turbo, it now has a precision 4276 cast wheel turbo on it that I found locally to me brand new for a hell of a deal. It was a last minute pinch before vegas so I snagged it up and it seems to be working better for me currently.

Jake, first off you are doing awesome work man. The turbo fails,now the head gasket and you still managed to race the car for the event. Great job:hellyeah:
Im really curious as to the failure of the hta105 turbo? If you dont mind sharing with us, what could have caused the failure man, thats a real bummer :confused:

Jake, first off you are doing awesome work man. The turbo fails,now the head gasket and you still managed to race the car for the event. Great job:hellyeah:
Im really curious as to the failure of the hta105 turbo? If you dont mind sharing with us, what could have caused the failure man, thats a real bummer :confused:

Thanks man! I wasn't expecting the head gasket to let loose like that, but it did, real bummer but I still managed to keep it together to win the event.:thumb:

As far as the turbo, I have no clue what happened. It's on it's way back to FP right now so I will know shortly what happened. I had thought it was something I did, so I double, triple checked everything and I could not find any reason as to why it just died. The turbo seized up on me testing the car on a back road. I got the turbo to break free and after that it spun freely and seemed fine, so I started the car again and everything seemed fine with it until I shut the car off again, it made a horrific noise as it was spinning down. obviously something wasn't right with it.

On that note, I got the head off last night and wow, it was blowing out of the back of the head under the intake manifold, explains all the noises I kept hearing going down the trackROFL It was also blowing out the side of the head gasket on #4 cylinder. I knew the head lifted after the misshap in the pits, but damn, I didn't realize it was lifting the head that much ha. Good news is, it didn't torch the head, the head surface looks perfect, piston tops and cylinder walls look perfect. So I'm going to surface the head and slap it back together.:thumb: I got lucky on that one.

Thanks man! I wasn't expecting the head gasket to let loose like that, but it did, real bummer but I still managed to keep it together to win the event.:thumb:

As far as the turbo, I have no clue what happened. It's on it's way back to FP right now so I will know shortly what happened. I had thought it was something I did, so I double, triple checked everything and I could not find any reason as to why it just died. The turbo seized up on me testing the car on a back road. I got the turbo to break free and after that it spun freely and seemed fine, so I started the car again and everything seemed fine with it until I shut the car off again, it made a horrific noise as it was spinning down. obviously something wasn't right with it.

On that note, I got the head off last night and wow, it was blowing out of the back of the head under the intake manifold, explains all the noises I kept hearing going down the trackROFL It was also blowing out the side of the head gasket on #4 cylinder. I knew the head lifted after the misshap in the pits, but damn, I didn't realize it was lifting the head that much ha. Good news is, it didn't torch the head, the head surface looks perfect, piston tops and cylinder walls look perfect. So I'm going to surface the head and slap it back together.:thumb: I got lucky on that one.
Wow, still with the head lifting, you managed to keep it running to win the event :hellyeah:
Hopefully FP gets you back going quick, let us know how it goes on the turbo..they do awesome work. Jake, now you are a believer in Automagic ! :D

were you the fastest dsm at the race? sucks to hear about the turbo and headgasket

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back